OCR Additional Maths or AQA Further Maths

Watch
HxTrinity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello All,
Quick question, what is the difference between OCR Additional Maths and AQA Further maths and which one should I choose. I'm targeted for a Grade 9 in GCSE EDEXCEL maths and planning to do maths as an A-level. I really enjoy Numeracy, Algebra and Line graphs. However, I'm not particularly a big fan of Geometry and Lengthy Word Problems. I think I'm pretty good at maths with some rooms of improvement.

I'm struggling to chose which FSMQ I should do. Can any of you give me any suggestions?

Kind Regards

Hanying
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HxTrinity)
Hello All,
Quick question, what is the difference between OCR Additional Maths and AQA Further maths and which one should I choose. I'm targeted for a Grade 9 in GCSE EDEXCEL maths and planning to do maths as an A-level. I really enjoy Numeracy, Algebra and Line graphs. However, I'm not particularly a big fan of Geometry and Lengthy Word Problems. I think I'm pretty good at maths with some rooms of improvement.

I'm struggling to chose which FSMQ I should do. Can any of you give me any suggestions?

Kind Regards

Hanying
I'm doing OCR Additional Maths as the FSMQ, and although I'm not doing Further Maths AQA, I've looked over the specification. In OCR we cover a lot of GCSE's topics in greater detail such as algebra, surds, geometry etc, like in the AQA Further Maths. However AQA Further Maths only covers differentiation in Calculus, whereas in OCR we do both differentiation and integration, as well as kinematics, which is much more A level content. We also do Logarithms, Combinations and Permutations which are not in the AQA Further Maths specification I have seen. The only thing in AQA's which isn't in OCR's in Matrix multiplication. In general there is just a lot more stuff in OCR than in AQA, and you must also consider that AQA's will change after this year, so if you are in Year 10 deciding which FSMQ to do in Year 11(which I am assuming you are correct me if I'm wrong), would mean that you would have to do a new specification with no resources, whereas the OCR AddMaths course has now updated resources to include a textbook studying the entire specification.

However, this is just my opinion from what I have seen of the AQA Further Maths Specification details on the AQA website 2012-19 I don't have any experience of it, however I can tell you that the OCR Further Maths is a very good way of understanding important A level concepts. Good luck choosing.
HxTrinity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
I'm doing OCR Additional Maths as the FSMQ, and although I'm not doing Further Maths AQA, I've looked over the specification. In OCR we cover a lot of GCSE's topics in greater detail such as algebra, surds, geometry etc, like in the AQA Further Maths. However AQA Further Maths only covers differentiation in Calculus, whereas in OCR we do both differentiation and integration, as well as kinematics, which is much more A level content. We also do Logarithms, Combinations and Permutations which are not in the AQA Further Maths specification I have seen. The only thing in AQA's which isn't in OCR's in Matrix multiplication. In general there is just a lot more stuff in OCR than in AQA, and you must also consider that AQA's will change after this year, so if you are in Year 10 deciding which FSMQ to do in Year 11(which I am assuming you are correct me if I'm wrong), would mean that you would have to do a new specification with no resources, whereas the OCR AddMaths course has now updated resources to include a textbook studying the entire specification.

However, this is just my opinion from what I have seen of the AQA Further Maths Specification details on the AQA website 2012-19 I don't have any experience of it, however I can tell you that the OCR Further Maths is a very good way of understanding important A level concepts. Good luck choosing.
Thank you for the response. I do understand that Additional Maths has a lot more context however, do you think that I would be able to learn this stuff within two years? Also is this a revision book for the FSMQ OCR Additional Maths:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Free-St...y&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Kind Regards

Hanying
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HxTrinity)
Thank you for the response. I do understand that Additional Maths has a lot more context however, do you think that I would be able to learn this stuff within two years? Also is this a revision book for the FSMQ OCR Additional Maths:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Free-St...y&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Kind Regards

Hanying
I've been studying AddMaths for less than a year and I can solve pretty much every question in the practice papers, it really isn't as hard as you think, provided you have a very strong base in GCSE Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.14%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.82%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
11.4%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.97%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (15)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (36)
10.53%
Financial worries (24)
7.02%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.14%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.23%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.31%

Watched Threads