Accused Watch

999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Still not getting the full story.
I wouldnt think it would be just zero.
I would be thinking of what you could say in mitigation, but you arent giving us anything.
If the plagiarism was as red handed and extensive as you say, then all I can think of is contrition and hope its a final warning.
The problem is the extent of the plagiarism. Its up to them and unis may vary as will each case, but you arent giving anything other than yes yoiu are guilty. I dont think its a fair kop and wont do it again quite washes.
maxlian
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Full history is that my plan was to use someone else's work ONLY as a guideline but I ended up using its same content, structure, paraphrasing the whole and changing some minimum things. Now the committee has found out the work I have used and it matches around 90% the work I have submitted, but only expressed differently.

Now the problem is exactly what I should say when called by the committee and how I can beg not to be expelled
(Original post by 999tigger)
Still not getting the full story.
I wouldnt think it would be just zero.
I would be thinking of what you could say in mitigation, but you arent giving us anything.
If the plagiarism was as red handed and extensive as you say, then all I can think of is contrition and hope its a final warning.
The problem is the extent of the plagiarism. Its up to them and unis may vary as will each case, but you arent giving anything other than yes yoiu are guilty. I dont think its a fair kop and wont do it again quite washes.
Last edited by maxlian; 1 week ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Tbf I dont know your uni.
Talk to the su advisor who may be useless or they might give you some insight on whether the uni has zero tolerance etc.
You can tell the su advisor what you arent telling us.

I think it would be safe to assume they know which article you have copied. The su advisor might know if there is any chance at all.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
90% similarity is deffo not paraphrasing!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Go and see the su advisor then come back and post what he said.

You have given us very little and in fact made it worse. Planning means preparation for cheating, means you knew what you were doing and put effort in to deceive. Was someone elses work published or another student?

I dont think begging will do much good as the contrition so far appears to be you got caught. You need more in mitigation such as exceptional circs which meant you werent thinking straight or ill. You have posted nothing so far as to why anyone should be sympathetic.
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You tell the truth, even if it doesn't paint you in a good light. You're passed the point of being able to explain it away or make it sound like it was a mistake. If you try to do that, you'll be insulting their intelligence (given that they have proof of plagiarism).

The punishment you get will be appropriate to your offence, so if they deem it serious enough to warrant expulsion, then you'll just have to live with it.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally I'd be packing my bags there will be number of factors they will take into account some of these might be:
1/ Do you feel remorse for what you did. If you can cry a little not like wailing just getting your eyes to water a bit.
2/ How are your marks. If your marks are good this might help your case
3/ Have you done anything else like this. If you have your ****ed.
4/ Did you meet your offer . if you missed your offer and got i anyway or you got in though clearing it could harm your case they see it as you can't handle the course and kick you out anyway.
5/ What year in you in. If it's not first you'll be in huge trouble.
6/ Do they think you'll do it again.

Not gonna lie it's highly likely you will get more than 0 you might fail the unit but being expelled is highly likely at my uni if found guilty you be out even if it's your first time doing some thing like that no if's no buts.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
in that case I'd say your gone time to start packing.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Highly doubt you'll be expelled. The most likely scenario is that you'll get a 0.

Which subject? Also, what did you copy exactly? What are the evidence?

Sometimes they don't have all the evidence but make you think they do in order to get you to admit it.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Personally I'd be packing my bags there will be number of factors they will take into account some of these might be:
1/ Do you feel remorse for what you did. If you can cry a little not like wailing just getting your eyes to water a bit.
2/ How are your marks. If your marks are good this might help your case
3/ Have you done anything else like this. If you have your ****ed.
4/ Did you meet your offer . if you missed your offer and got i anyway or you got in though clearing it could harm your case they see it as you can't handle the course and kick you out anyway.
5/ What year in you in. If it's not first you'll be in huge trouble.
6/ Do they think you'll do it again.

Not gonna lie it's highly likely you will get more than 0 you might fail the unit but being expelled is highly likely at my uni if found guilty you be out even if it's your first time doing some thing like that no if's no buts.
There's absolutely no way he'd be expelled for a first-time offence. At 3rd year, a first-time offence can, in no way, invalidate one's entire university grades.

Regarding UCAS and offer, it's completely irrelevant. The people who will be dealing with this will not be privy to personal information dealt by the admission's team. This point is ridiculous.

What university do you go to? I highly doubt that's the case.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
There's absolutely no way he'd be expelled for a first-time offence. At 3rd year, a first-time offence can, in no way, invalidate one's entire university grades.

Regarding UCAS and offer, it's completely irrelevant. The people who will be dealing with this will not be privy to personal information dealt by the admission's team. This point is ridiculous.

I went to solent it was made very clear to us that plagiarism meant you would be kicked out it was drilled in to us from day one literally "if you plagiarise or collude even if you self plagiarise you will be expelled" simple as that seems pretty clear to me.
Acsel
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I went to solent it was made very clear to us that plagiarism meant you would be kicked out it was drilled in to us from day one literally "if you plagiarise or collude even if you self plagiarise you will be expelled" simple as that seems pretty clear to me.
What you are told and what actually happens are two different things. We all get the "don't plagiarise or we'll kick you out" spiel, because they can't very well go round telling us "if you plagiarise we'll cross that bridge when we come to it and maybe let you off in some circumstances".
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Acsel)
What you are told and what actually happens are two different things. We all get the "don't plagiarise or we'll kick you out" spiel, because they can't very well go round telling us "if you plagiarise we'll cross that bridge when we come to it and maybe let you off in some circumstances".
True they can't say that but the fact remains unis are very harsh with plagiarism and as 3rd year he really should have known better it won't help his cause.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Acsel)
I did my undergrad at Edinburgh Uni and have a couple of friends/acquaintances who had been accused of plagiarism throughout various years. I also knew one person who was accused twice in their final year. What happened to that person? Both assignments received a 0 and they still graduated.

I'm afraid that the spiel you were told was just to instil fear in you. I'm surprised you actually believed them that you'd be kicked out. It is a terrible offence (don't get me wrong) but the consequences aren't as dire as you were led to believe.

As an aside, your point about whether or not OP originally missed their offer for university has no relevance whatsoever when it comes to plagiarism and its consequences. Please don't spread misinformation.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
maxlian
Rep:
?
I go to a top University in London, I would prefer not to state the name, but for sure they are very strict with plagiarism and might have 0 tolerance.

maxlian
Rep:
?
Thanks for sharing this.
Do you know how heavy was the extent of plagiarism your friends were accused of ? Was it like only one paragraph, two paragraphs or all the paper ? and did they have to attend a meeting with committee ?
I did my undergrad at Edinburgh Uni and have a couple of friends/acquaintances who had been accused of plagiarism throughout various years. I also knew one person who was accused twice in their final year. What happened to that person? Both assignments received a 0 and they still graduated.

I'm afraid that the spiel you were told was just to instil fear in you. I'm surprised you actually believed them that you'd be kicked out. It is a terrible offence (don't get me wrong) but the consequences aren't as dire as you were led to believe.

As an aside, your point about whether or not OP originally missed their offer for university has no relevance whatsoever when it comes to plagiarism and its consequences. Please don't spread misinformation.
Last edited by maxlian; 1 week ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Entire essays and yes, there was a meeting with the committee etc.
(Original post by maxlian)
Thanks for sharing this.
Do you know how heavy was the extent of plagiarism your friends were accused of ? Was it like only one paragraph, two paragraphs or all the paper ? and did they have to attend a meeting with committee ?
maxlian
Rep:
?
It was an economic project, they have clear evidence and I know, because they found the exact paper I have used. This will mean to them that I haven't done any research and haven't put any effort on completing the project. No doubt I feel very bad, have no excuses for what I have done, I totally deserve a 0 and will of course accept it.

However, I am not sleeping at night because of the chance to be expelled. Man, I am really hoping it will end like with your friends from Edinburgh Uni...
Highly doubt you'll be expelled. The most likely scenario is that you'll get a 0.

Which subject? Also, what did you copy exactly? What are the evidence?

Sometimes they don't have all the evidence but make you think they do in order to get you to admit it.
maxlian
Rep:
?
Do you know by any chance what happened at the meeting ? Did the students admit the plagiarism, did they apologies ? If you could ask to your friends and let me know, that would be much helpful and appreciated!
Entire essays and yes, there was a meeting with the committee etc.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maxlian)
Do you know by any chance what happened at the meeting ? Did the students admit the plagiarism, did they apologies ? If you could ask to your friends and let me know, that would be much helpful and appreciated!
Hey message me the exact circumstances of your project - everything (don't leave anything out). I'll see how I can help you.

Whatever you do - don't panic. It's going to be OK - you made a mistake but what's done is done.

I can't officially advise you but I can probably give you some tips.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...