username4437280
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In 2017, I did my Maths GCSE, did no revision, didn't do any of our practice papers. I ended up with a grade 6. On results day I asked my head of year whether this is enough. It wasn't.

In 2018, I started Maths A-level (Edexcel) as I wanted to do it. I have been getting ~90% on all the AS Pure and Stats/Mech papers.

Bare in mind, I hadn't done any Maths in over a year following my GCSE to starting my A-level, I can't remember a single part of it. So, I am just wondering do you think it's possible to step up from this (relatively) poor GCSE grade to an A* once I've completed the 2 years? I am nervous about Year 2 as I heard it's quite a large step-up.

Thanks (sorry if this is the wrong place to post).
Last edited by username4437280; 2 years ago
Levi23317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh of course its possible, a level maths aint too hard especially if you find year 1 pretty easy.
username4437280
Rep:
?
(Original post by Levi23317)
Yh of course its possible, a level maths aint too hard especially if you find year 1 pretty easy.
Thanks, it's what I like to hear. My only worry is being unable getting to grips with Year 2 content.
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've motivated me (^_^ ) For my recent Yr11 mock I got a 5 but I'm slowly improving and I want to do Maths for A Levels so this is reassuring. Thank you!
username4437280
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiro2468)
You've motivated me (^_^ ) For my recent Yr11 mock I got a 5 but I'm slowly improving and I want to do Maths for A Levels so this is reassuring. Thank you!
No problem, honestly have zero clue what I got in my Year 11 mocks now. I assume your exams are impending. My advice, exhaust every resource you have. Do literally every single textbook question, or do at least a few from each section. Then, move onto exam papers. I wish I had known this at GCSE. If you do these things and have even an ounce of ability, you can do well.
Levi23317
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by somewhathopeful)
Thanks, it's what I like to hear. My only worry is being unable getting to grips with Year 2 content.
The year 2 content is generally just an expansion on the year 1 content (at least fot AQA), so if you can get to grips with year 1, year 2 shouldnt be too bad either.
username4437280
Rep:
?
The year 2 content is generally just an expansion on the year 1 content (at least fot AQA), so if you can get to grips with year 1, year 2 shouldnt be too bad either.
Appreciate it. Probably just paranoid, sure with work anything is possible
Levi23317
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by somewhathopeful)
Appreciate it. Probably just paranoid, sure with work anything is possible
What other subjects do you take
username4437280
Rep:
?
What other subjects do you take
Econs and sociology
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can I go from a 6 at GCSE to at least a B at A-level?

(Original post by username4437280)
In 2017, I did my Maths GCSE, did no revision, didn't do any of our practice papers. I ended up with a grade 6. On results day I asked my head of year whether this is enough. It wasn't.

In 2018, I started Maths A-level (Edexcel) as I wanted to do it. I have been getting ~90% on all the AS Pure and Stats/Mech papers.

Bare in mind, I hadn't done any Maths in over a year following my GCSE to starting my A-level, I can't remember a single part of it. So, I am just wondering do you think it's possible to step up from this (relatively) poor GCSE grade to an A* once I've completed the 2 years? I am nervous about Year 2 as I heard it's quite a large step-up.

Thanks (sorry if this is the wrong place to post).
Zabidoo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by username4437280)
Econs and sociology
Ive chosen maths (aqa) and sociology (aqa) and law which I might swap for pyschology (aqa)

How have u found maths and sociology so far? What's the content like? And revision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (23)
31.08%
No (51)
68.92%

Watched Threads