Huh?
What do you think?! The personal statement. :rolleyes:
Trivance
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
It was more of a general statement to no one in particular. You know how people ask for confidential advice to their doctors or their SE teacher at school? Perhaps sometimes say it's not theirs as to dodge any bad remarks etc. It's just something I noticed.
true, i have noticed that as well
Trivance
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eternal Fantasy)
Oh. My. God.
it's written by a boy who was born in 1989 and has read too much fictions and has a very sucessful and busy father (main problem) and is my brother.
Max Plank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Trivance)

Céline Dion:‘My heart will go on’;

Taking photos for Landscape and pretty girls
This has to be a joke.

John
marinemike
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Comic genius, excellently done.
MrsJones
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It illustrates the differing cultures, and the difficulties of translation. I do not get the feeling he is arrogant, just trying to be honest. The Chinese have a deep personal improvement ethic which comes over as, shall we say, immodest.

I think more than anything he needs to mix with Westerners, improve his English and become aware of how odd his outlook is in our eyes.
Trivance
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrsJones)
It illustrates the differing cultures, and the difficulties of translation. I do not get the feeling he is arrogant, just trying to be honest. The Chinese have a deep personal improvement ethic which comes over as, shall we say, immodest.

I think more than anything he needs to mix with Westerners, improve his English and become aware of how odd his outlook is in our eyes.
Well, in Chinese culture, for example:
Fact: you are good at singing, and have some achievement
BUT if you were asked whether you are good at singing or not, the appropriate answer is "well, so so"

There is an interesting joke:
In China, a man took his pretty wife to a party. A western guy who can speak some Chinese said to him: oh your wife is beautiful!! Then the man replied : "Na Li Na Li ( Where Where ). The western guy was so embarrassed.
But actually, the man mean that: no no, she is not that beautiful. AND this is considered to be polite and appropriate. In western countries, the answer is normally "Thank you!" which gives Chinese an impression of "immodest".

I am a Chinese, before I came to England, people told me that "Don't let your achievments undercover, tell them know all your strongpoints or you will be considered of lacking self-confidence."
I believe that this is mainly due to American culture influences.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I always have a cup of tea or coffee and drink wine when I began to write.
Great personal info

Because of that, my friends often ask me to help them to with their difficulties in using computers. I enjoy helping others for free.
As opposed to molesting them for a charge?

I am another man when I am in sport hall. Though my physical power was limited, I use my special skills and always defeat stronger enemies.
Classic statement

I enjoy the happiness of being a winner. People called me “Cool-Boy” in playing basketball and “King player” in fencing. Though I think I’m not doing very well in these.
Got anymore nicknames?

So my parents said that I was a freak in music.
And in any other areas as well?

When I meet my friend, I will give my friendly smell to him. Because I think that what you do to others, they will do it to you.
Just wait for the friendly smell to waft back

When I began my studies in senior middle school, all my classmates said: “Ko.Li. is one of the most handsome students in our school.”
We want documented proof

This personal statement is a work of class.

Nevertheless the boy is from a different country/culture, it is still amusing to look at a personal statement that is radically different form anything I have ever seen. And ever hope to see again.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Fantasy)
What do you think?! The personal statement. :rolleyes:
It's rather long and may be the personal statement needs 'synchronising' so that each paragraph is about something in a logical order from each other. That's all I can think right now, it is 00:40
~pixie~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh. My. God.
Trivance
Rep:
?
(Original post by lessthanthree)
It is my belief that in order to become a successful person, hard work and self-motivation are imperative. I am therefore, constantly striving to improve myself in an effort to succeed.

I enjoy reading and writing very much, and work part time reporting for ‘JiangNanDuShiBao,’ which is a major newspaper in the JiangXi province. I have had over fifteen articles publishes in newspapers; an achievement of which I am extremely proud. These works include ‘The days run away,’ published in 2001 in ‘JiangNanDuShiBao’ for which I was lucky enough to gain 2nd prize in the WHAT’S THE COMPETITION NAME? run by ‘YeShengTao bei’ (tell them what this is)

I am very interested in ICT, and often program games (and something else..?)
I particularly enjoy web designing, and designed my very first web page aged 13, which can be found at www.blogcy.com/yantong. In that same year, I won second place in National Computing Competition. I think it is mainly because of this that my friends often ask me to help them out when they use computers! I do, however, enjoy sharing my knowledge with others, so I don’t mind this at all.

I currently participate in basketball and fencing at school, and generally focus on skill rather than strength in my approach to competitive sport. I thoroughly enjoy competitive and teams sports, and wish to carry them on long into my career.

One of my favourite hobbies is music. Despite the fact that I have not been taught any instruments, I have developed some skill in certain stringed instruments, but wish to develop these skills further. Additionally, I write music to my poetry, and perform them. My favourite classical musician is Mozart, however on a more modern note, I am interested in R&B, as well as pop music. Sometimes I even translate Chinese music into English, to entertain my classmates!

I have been described as a friendly person, and I am looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends, as well as studying hard to achieve my potential, as demonstrated by my membership of the Math Olympian Group.

I take a keen interest in economics, however, it is not currently on offer in Chinese high schools, hence my aspirations to study abroad. As well as wanting to become a businessman, I am also keen to pursue my writing, music and ICT skills. I believe that studying abroad will help me to achieve my goals in life, and also allow me to contribute to your school in any way I can.

------------------

I tried to cut out the crap. It totally needs some tweaking and rearranging, but the crap's gone. I tried to be constructive-ish.

Oh Thank you!!! That's very kind of you mate.
Persija
Report 15 years ago
wtf..? is this a personal statement??? I know my ps is not perfect, but... EXCUSE ME! It's the funniest thing i have seen this month Your brother (or maybe you was the one who wrote it) should be more seryous when writing ps...
bOdOING2
Report 15 years ago
Although this ps is insanly funny,
As a chinese I can see where ur commin from, I think ur Brother may have jus written the ps in Chinese and did a translation, it never works that way.
A 15 year old boy (any1 for that matter) shouldnt really talk about bein Bill Gates, William Shakespeare, ZhengChenggong, a graduate of Cambridge, a hermit etc all at the same time! (although the results would be funny...lol)

Also som grammer needs changin
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How do you give someone your friendly smell? rub up against them :confused:
bOdOING2
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
How do you give someone your friendly smell? rub up against them :confused:
That would indeed be very friendly...lol
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This reminds me...did anyone hear what jose Mourinho had to say about "the smell" of football clubs? It was insanely funny!
Sgt.Pepper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Your brother is a legend.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (122)
27.66%
1 (68)
15.42%
2 (67)
15.19%
3 (71)
16.1%
4 (33)
7.48%
5 (30)
6.8%
6 (14)
3.17%
7+ (36)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise