Do I need Physics A-Level to study computer science?

Watch
alex57137
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently live in Spain, and I am doing at the moment 5 Igsce,and at the end of the IGSCE our school ask us to fill a document with 3 or 4 options for our A-levels that we are going to study next year, and I know you need maths,and I am going to take Ict as a recommend option. But, I do not want to do physics unless it is required in North America (U.S.A) or the U.K (United Kingdom) any suggestions fellow?
Last edited by alex57137; 2 years ago
Digital_King321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alex57137)
I currently live in Spain, and I am doing at the moment 5 Igsce,and at the end of the IGSCE our school ask us to fill a document with 3 or 4 options for our A-levels that we are going to study next year, and I know you needs maths,and I am going to take Ict as a recommend option. But, I do not want to do physics unless it is required in North America (U.S.A) or the U.K (United Kingdom) any suggestions fellow?
Physics is not a requirement, but just a heads up some universities in the UK do not accept ICT as an A level to do Computer Science, most of them also have Maths as a requirement. I am not sure about entry requirements in the U.S. but I suspect it will be similar to the UK.
PassionPoint
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For most universities in the UK, they don't always require you to do physics but it does look good when you are applying to the course but however, there are some universities that'll ask you to do both maths and physics to ensure that you'll be able to understand the fundamentals as well as the calculations involved in computer science.
I currently live in Spain, and I am doing at the moment 5 Igsce,and at the end of the IGSCE our school ask us to fill a document with 3 or 4 options for our A-levels that we are going to study next year, and I know you needs maths,and I am going to take Ict as a recommend option. But, I do not want to do physics unless it is required in North America (U.S.A) or the U.K (United Kingdom) any suggestions fellow?
alex57137
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do you think they will accept me without physics? also do you know anything about the universities requirements in England, and North America?
username2842002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imperial don't accept ICT as an A-level. This includes business, general studies and critical thinking.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...y-requirements
username2842002
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I currently live in Spain, and I am doing at the moment 5 Igsce,and at the end of the IGSCE our school ask us to fill a document with 3 or 4 options for our A-levels that we are going to study next year, and I know you need maths,and I am going to take Ict as a recommend option. But, I do not want to do physics unless it is required in North America (U.S.A) or the U.K (United Kingdom) any suggestions fellow?
You don't NEED physics, but it's extremely helpful as it's basically applied maths which is what computer science is. It's also a tough A-level (at least relatively to others) so it's very good to have in general.

I would not take ICT personally if you're aiming to go to top unis. Imperial will not accept ICT and it will certainly be looked down on a lot more than physics by other unis, even if the other unis accept ICT.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...y-requirements

All the best.
username2842002
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Although Imperial explicitly state that you can't do ICT, many unis will still look down on ICT compared to Physics. ICT is more of an application based meaning that it's akin to learning how to drive a car properly. Computer science is more like understanding how the car functions. How the lights turn on, how the tires change direction as you turn the steering wheel etc. Physics is a very academic subject and is considered one of the hardest A levels. No matter what course you apply for it will be highly respected and it will make you look like a better candidate. You may not want to hear everything I said, but it's best you know now rather than take ICT and then you realise that you've made an irreversible mistake. All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads