The Student Room Group

Driving instructor charges £150 to use car for driving test day

Hi I have a driving test date on Friday and driving instructor has asked for £150 to use the car citing insurance for the 40-minute test.
Test is in morning at 8:00am & I live in Woolwich and he will pick
me up for 40min test.
I am surprised at what he has asked for as I was not at all expecting this charge.
Is the charge justified, has anyone also been charge similarly could anyone please let me know? Thanks in advance.
Yeah that's ridiculous. Normal is about 60-65 And that includes pick up an hour before the test for a practice drive.
Original post by Oraca
Hi I have a driving test date on Friday and driving instructor has asked for £150 to use the car citing insurance for the 40-minute test.
me up for 40min test.
I am surprised at what he has asked for as I was not at all expecting this charge.
Is the charge justified, has anyone also been charge similarly could anyone please let me know? Thanks in advance.

That sounds highly suspicious, the car is already insured otherwise he wouldn't be able to give lessons.

Most people normally pay their instructor for a two hour lesson, so it includes an hour driving to the test centre/warm up, then you have time for the test and for him to drive you home afterwards.
Original post by Oraca
me up for 40min test.

They're mugging you off.

Usually it's the cost of a two hour lesson.

One hour to practice and get to the test centre before
Another hour for the test + for them to drive you home.
It should be the same price as your lessons
I was only charged the same price as a normal lesson, so it was just £50 for my test day. And that included getting picked up at 7am, having about an hour's practice before my test, the use of the car during the test and getting driven home afterwards. £150 seems expensive to me.
I was charged £48 for a lesson before the test and for the test itself. £150 is far too much.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the feedback,Ive changed to "Atlas Driving school" for the test who only charge similar for a lesson and 1hr practise as everyone has described . Instructor robbers told because it was a "Mercedez Automatic" instructor was using required further insurance and more money just a lot of BS and Jazz" .
Yeah that just sounds like blatant attempt at a ripoff :/

As others have said, I paid for a 2 hours lesson, so that was pick up, warm up lesson, test, and ride home.
Reply 9
My instructor asked for £27 for a lesson at £80 for the insurance and £62 that he has booked the driving test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending