Pops123A
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey I was just wandering if anyone has any good revision tops for English Literature. My exam is soon and I am working on a 4 but I just don’t have any efficient revision methods. If anyone could leave any revision methods it would be appreciated. Thank you😊
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
same bro ;(
just practise a lot of essays, the more u do the more likely it will come up
Pops123A
Rep:
?
Thanks
(Original post by lilTrain)
same bro ;(
just practise a lot of essays, the more u do the more likely it will come up
lilTrain
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
also which texts u doing for the paper 1?
a-rose02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Essay plans are key; make a PEEE (Point, Evidence, Explain, Evaluate) triangle for key themes/ characters and work from there. These can be useful to understand how to structure your essays and prepare without having to write them all out. Do try and time yourself with 10 and 20 Mark questions though to help with time management and use exemplar answers online to help understand how to structure your work; there are plenty out there and your exam board should also have some on their website. See if you can make brief summary notes for each chapter too, or construct a timeline with main events. As long as you know key details, you’ll be fine. Context is also a great thing to include so within the timeline, see if you can include some key events. (This does depend on the book- I did Of Mice and Men, Heroes and An Inspector Calls). Most of all, try and revise key quotes. Use flashcards, use the triangles to apply your knowledge but remember that less can be more; a few quotes with great analysis is better than lots of quotes with very little analysis, but try and see if you can revise quotes you can ‘drop in’ to your essays and boost your marks. Hope this helps and good luck!
Pops123A
Rep:
?
I’m doing Macbeth , a Christmas carol and an inspector calls.
also which texts u doing for the paper 1?
Last edited by Pops123A; 2 years ago
Pops123A
Rep:
?
Thank you so much
(Original post by a-rose02)
Essay plans are key; make a PEEE (Point, Evidence, Explain, Evaluate) triangle for key themes/ characters and work from there. These can be useful to understand how to structure your essays and prepare without having to write them all out. Do try and time yourself with 10 and 20 Mark questions though to help with time management and use exemplar answers online to help understand how to structure your work; there are plenty out there and your exam board should also have some on their website. See if you can make brief summary notes for each chapter too, or construct a timeline with main events. As long as you know key details, you’ll be fine. Context is also a great thing to include so within the timeline, see if you can include some key events. (This does depend on the book- I did Of Mice and Men, Heroes and An Inspector Calls). Most of all, try and revise key quotes. Use flashcards, use the triangles to apply your knowledge but remember that less can be more; a few quotes with great analysis is better than lots of quotes with very little analysis, but try and see if you can revise quotes you can ‘drop in’ to your essays and boost your marks. Hope this helps and good luck!
lilTrain
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im doin christmas carol too. main themes that with show up in most questions will usually have something to do with either:
poverty(aka social responsibility),includes the crachit family, and scrooge's attitudes to them, also charity
redemption: how scrooge changes, and the purpose of the spirits, also forgiveness
i havent come across that many questions that dont at least need you to mention one of these.

(Original post by Pops123A)
I’m doing Macbeth and a Christmas carol.
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sometimes they might ask a question that might catch you out. For example, the AQA question for ACC last year was about how Scrooge's fears are presented. That seems like an obscure question to ask, but if you know the novella well, you can think of a few things to say - for example, Scrooge being afraid of Ignorance and Want in Stave 3. So, alongside making essay plans, make sure you know the novella well.
Pops123A
Rep:
?
Thank you
im doin christmas carol too. main themes that with show up in most questions will usually have something to do with either:
poverty(aka social responsibility),includes the crachit family, and scrooge's attitudes to them, also charity
redemption: how scrooge changes, and the purpose of the spirits, also forgiveness
i havent come across that many questions that dont at least need you to mention one of these.
lilTrain
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thats right just as Anthos said, they'll use synonymous words in the question to themes you've done to sort of throw you off. we were talking about that in class today and the teacher said the exam board does this to make it accessable to everyone, grades 9-1, including those who dont have a revision guide, since in the guides they only give 1 word for the theme.
like i said in my previous post, theme of "poverty" could be disguised as "social responsibility", "charity", "how are the businessmen presented"(yes, because they ask scrooge to donate money for the poor remember), "how is the crachit family shown to be hard working" all that.
when you plan ur question, whatever its asking of you, write down a one theme you've studied that links to it. makes it a lot more easier to understand
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads