Final advice for GCSE Spanish Speaking Exam?

Watch
OliverTheHuman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've got my speaking exam for spanish tomorrow at 10:30. I know i've revised sufficiently but i'm incredibly nervous, as I always seemed to get a mental block in the mocks. (I've chosen general conversation theme 2 by the way).

Any last minute advice on nice idioms/phrases to remember or even how to stay calm in the exam would be much appreciated.

Oliver
Katie_x0xxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same but I had mine today and same my chosen was theme 2 global issues. Stay calm, don't freak yourself out when you get in there and make sure you remember to ask a question to your teacher somewhere in it and make sure you know the question words like do you have and that. Also just keep revising your answers over n over again and you'll be fine, you'll know more than you think you do.
bad bunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's good to know that you've revised well enough. My suggestions would be to learn as many subjunctive phrases as you can as well as using a range of grammar. Also, using more interesting 'pause' and 'filler' words would be so helpful (e.g. pues, a ver, bueno, vale, por un lado, por otro lado, tener en cuenta). Good luck!
lilymallinson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi, good luck! i had mine last week. if i were you, just try and relax before, go for a walk or something. then when you going in if you can’t think just try to think of the most basic spanish you know, if you remember your answers use impressive phrases like suelo infinitive, modal verbs, subjunctive phrases and tener que infinitive phrases
username4310824
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OliverTheHuman)
I've got my speaking exam for spanish tomorrow at 10:30. I know i've revised sufficiently but i'm incredibly nervous, as I always seemed to get a mental block in the mocks. (I've chosen general conversation theme 2 by the way).

Any last minute advice on nice idioms/phrases to remember or even how to stay calm in the exam would be much appreciated.

Oliver
If you don't understand what your teacher said the first time: ¿Puede repetirlo por favor?

If you're not sure what to say or if your mind goes blank: ''Lo siento, no estoy seguro''.

''A mi modo de ver'', ''desde mi punto de vista'', ''tal y como yo lo veo'', and ''me parece que'' are all good opinion phrases that are easy to include in your answers.

Some good, flexible idioms are: ''Es pan comido'' (it's easy), Vale la pena (it's worth it), and A corto plazo (in the future).

I'm sure you'll be fine! Don't be scared to make mistakes either, they're not expecting you to be perfect.

Good luck!
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol i did mine the other week
hahahahhh my spanish department has a secret "hit list" that we "cant share with other schools" but hah watever
ones i remember by heart:
con todo eso dicho(with that being said)
que yo recuerde(as far as i remember)
vale la pena(worth it)
estoy harto(im fed up of)

also, OPINIONS AND REASONS!! even if u say anything, even *me gusta*, then put in some good vocab, u will get good marks. thats all it is: impressive vocab, opinion and reason(and tenses)
OliverTheHuman
Rep:
?
haha well im honoured you shared it with me anyway!
Thanks a lot!!!
(Original post by lilTrain)
lol i did mine the other week
hahahahhh my spanish department has a secret "hit list" that we "cant share with other schools" but hah watever
ones i remember by heart:
con todo eso dicho(with that being said)
que yo recuerde(as far as i remember)
vale la pena(worth it)
estoy harto(im fed up of)

also, OPINIONS AND REASONS!! even if u say anything, even *me gusta*, then put in some good vocab, u will get good marks. thats all it is: impressive vocab, opinion and reason(and tenses)
andy4336
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let me help you.

I'm Spanish and I did my IGCSE two years ago. It went pretty well and here's why.

I was confident. Yes, it's my native language, but the same thing happened with French and I think I got a good grade. I tried to use some complex vocabulary. Wanna know some stuff that will really make you shine?

Yo estoy completamente de acuerdo - I completely agree
Esta claro que esto es un problem - It's obvious that this is a problem
Efectivamente, esto es verdad - Yes, this is true (this one is more of a loose translation)
Si tuviese que dar mi opinión sobre ... yo diría que - If i had to give my opinion about ... I would say

Don't be afraid to ask the examiner to repeat himself, as someone else has said before in this thread, say:

¿Podrías repetir la pregunta, por favor?
Perdona, no lo he entendido, ¿podrías decirlo otra vez?

I really hope these tips will help. I don't know what spec you are doing but as long as you give long and detailed answers you will be just fine.

Oh, one last thing: BE CONFIDENT
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you need any more tips don't hesitate to ask
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People in Spain don't really say A mi modo de ver, they say "Desde mi punto de vista/Desde donde yo lo veo/Desde mi perspectiva)"
(Original post by MinaBee)
If you don't understand what your teacher said the first time: ¿Puede repetirlo por favor?

If you're not sure what to say or if your mind goes blank: ''Lo siento, no estoy seguro''.

''A mi modo de ver'', ''desde mi punto de vista'', ''tal y como yo lo veo'', and ''me parece que'' are all good opinion phrases that are easy to include in your answers.

Some good, flexible idioms are: ''Es pan comido'' (it's easy), Vale la pena (it's worth it), and A corto plazo (in the future).

I'm sure you'll be fine! Don't be scared to make mistakes either, they're not expecting you to be perfect.

Good luck!
Tomf03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did mine about a week ago and what I'd say is that being nervous is not going to help you. Don't fret it and you'll do well. When I started I was a bit nervous and this meant my pronunciation was a bit off but after about a minute you forget about nerves and just speak fine. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great.

Oliver
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People are giving you very good feedback which I think will guarantee success. Believe me, just breathe and think that you are just in a holiday in Spain talking to a friend, don't stress, don't panic, just be confident and relax
username4310824
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by andy4336)
People in Spain don't really say A mi modo de ver, they say "Desde mi punto de vista/Desde donde yo lo veo/Desde mi perspectiva)"
Oof really? My A-level Spanish teacher was obsessed with that one. I feel like my whole life is a lie now :laugh:
OliverTheHuman
Rep:
?
wow, thanks a lot for everything you just said! I really appreciate this and will be sure to remember a few of the phrases you mentioned!
People are giving you very good feedback which I think will guarantee success. Believe me, just breathe and think that you are just in a holiday in Spain talking to a friend, don't stress, don't panic, just be confident and relax
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Trust me, if you are in a discussion in Spain and you say A mi modo de ver, people will just look at you kinda weird. It sound like too robotic, you're better off with desde mi punto de vista. In GCSE and A Level Spanish people learn a bunch of phrases that are not incorrect but not common and so not very useful. Us Spanish people aren't really complex with vocabulary, you just need to get your point across, even if it's with the simplest of words
(Original post by MinaBee)
Oof really? My A-level Spanish teacher was obsessed with that one. I feel like my whole life is a lie now :laugh:
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're welcome! You'll do just fine, I believe in you.
¡BUENA SUERTE!

wow, thanks a lot for everything you just said! I really appreciate this and will be sure to remember a few of the phrases you mentioned!
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please do tell us how it went
OliverTheHuman
Rep:
?
will do
Please do tell us how it went
andy4336
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hew how did it go? I'm sure it went amazing
Last edited by andy4336; 1 year ago
OliverTheHuman
Rep:
?
hew how did it go? I'm sure it went amazing
sorry for the late reply, got logged out my account haha! Thanks for asking! It went well! The stuff you told me in this thread honestly really helped, and i feel so much better about it than i did on the mocks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.83%
I'm not sure (36)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.49%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (395)
48.77%

Watched Threads