TCL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Yashchou)
Thanks. Does Cardiff score best 9 GCSEs or they have to score on certain subjects like English language compulsorily?
I am not an expert on Cardiff. I think GANFYD said that they don't say that it is particular subjects, but it appears that it may be. Suggest you ask on the Cardiff thread.
Medicmarvel01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
It is actually out of 27 for GCSEs/AS - very few people have 3 AS levels now.
Actually they are only scoring 8 GCSEs this year so it is out of 24 not 27 so total points is 37 overall not 40
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Medicmarvel01)
Actually they are only scoring 8 GCSEs this year so it is out of 24 not 27 so total points is 37 overall not 40
Either you are mistaken or they have got themselves in a muddle. In an e-mail in September they said:

The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:
GCSE or AS - 67.5%
A2 - 20%
BMAT - 12.5%

So if A levels are still 8 points (and 20% of total) and BMAT 5 points, GCSE/AS should still be 27 points. I suppose they could scale up a score out of 24, but why would they?
Medicmarvel01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
Either you are mistaken or they have got themselves in a muddle. In an e-mail in September they said:

The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:
GCSE or AS - 67.5%
A2 - 20%
BMAT - 12.5%

So if A levels are still 8 points (and 20% of total) and BMAT 5 points, GCSE/AS should still be 27 points. I suppose they could scale up a score out of 24, but why would they?
They said at open day last week they had changed to 8 GCSEs for this cycle and it was a recent decision.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They said at open day last week they had changed to 8 GCSEs for this cycle and it was a recent decision.
So something else must have changed too - either A levels or BMAT are worth more or all the percentages have changed.
s12er
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I actually support this, according to the email I received the education service officer said 8A*s at GCSE is counted as 24 points or 3As at AS level
Langsett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Did they definitely say that score was now out of 37
If so did they say why I am confused
Does this mean there will be more weighting on the bmat or not I attended the open day in june where they said it was still out of 40
Can anyone clarify - stressing
Mel242
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Me too - was told it was the old scoring system at the Open Day in June (or was it July?). And if 8A*s = 24 points, did Leeds specify subjects to be included e.g English, Maths, Science?

Are predicted grades still scored?
Langsett
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ve emailed them
I am worried it will push the scores up as I would expected more people to have 8 x 8/9 than 9 x 8/9 so the bmat score will need to be higher
I see this as a risk as I haven’t sat yet
I have already submitted my ucas form
Does anyone know when the cut off is to switch I may swop to Kent/ Medway
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i meet most the criteria for access to leeds, but my gcse profile isn’t very strong, will A2L affect my chances at getting an interview at all or does it only affect the offer IF i get one
Mel242
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Langsett)
I’ve emailed them
I am worried it will push the scores up as I would expected more people to have 8 x 8/9 than 9 x 8/9 so the bmat score will need to be higher
That's exactly my fear too. Let us know if they reply to your email. I may phone them tomorrow to clarify. I wish the unis wouldn't keep shifting the goalposts. This happened with UEA (one of my other choices) too.

My UCAS form was submitted last week. I've visited Leeds and liked it. Thought I was 'safe' for interview with 39/40 but who knows now.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Langsett)
I’ve emailed them
I see this as a risk as I haven’t sat yet
I have already submitted my ucas form
Does anyone know when the cut off is to switch I may swop to Kent/ Medway
The UCAS rule is that you can change a week after submission yourself and a week after that by calling UCAS, but I assume you have to change by 15th October if you are going to change. Hopefully somebody will find out from Leeds whether it is out of 37 or 40.
a_dav
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
The UCAS rule is that you can change a week after submission yourself and a week after that by calling UCAS, but I assume you have to change by 15th October if you are going to change. Hopefully somebody will find out from Leeds whether it is out of 37 or 40.
It is out of 37. Emailed the admissions team a couple days ago.
Langsett
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mel242)
That's exactly my fear too. Let us know if they reply to your email. I may phone them tomorrow to clarify. I wish the unis wouldn't keep shifting the goalposts. This happened with UEA (one of my other choices) too.

My UCAS form was submitted last week. I've visited Leeds and liked it. Thought I was 'safe' for interview with 39/40 but who knows now.
I will do I think you should be safe with that score
I have not sat the bmat yet but am A2L and score on new system 32/32 before
I liked Leeds argh stress!
Langsett
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
i meet most the criteria for access to leeds, but my gcse profile isn’t very strong, will A2L affect my chances at getting an interview at all or does it only affect the offer IF i get one
Was lower last year standard applicants 37
Unclear to what score needed for A2L
And if scoring system has changed no historical data to guide
s12er
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Name:  SC.PNG
Views: 175
Size:  88.1 KB
The reply I received from the University of Leeds
Attached files
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Saboor.M)
Name:  SC.PNG
Views: 175
Size:  88.1 KB
The reply I received from the University of Leeds
Somebody at Leeds is not very good at maths. If the 24+8+5 is correct, that is 64.9% GCSEs, 21.6% A levels, 13.5% BMAT.

Just an odd change!
Langsett
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Got the same email
I still going to give it a punt
Does anybody know why they have changed , they didn’t give me an explanation to their reasoning
winter151001
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm realllyyyyy hoping to get into Leeds, but I'm just so nervous for the interview stage of all my applications. How is everyone preparing/going to prepare for interviews?
Mckailer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sorry I've been trying to find out how medicine is taught at Leeds uni however can only find details on modules and assessment types.

Would anyone happen to know what teaching style they use at Leeds, e.g. PBL or integrated (PBL+ Lectures)?

Also, does anyone happen to know how they teach anatomy, do they use prossection or dissection?
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads