The Student Room Group

pgce query

Hi I have applied for my pgce in early years and have a few questions I am struggling to find the answers to online. Firstly, how does student loans work for a finance funded pgce and does anyone have an idea of what the minimum could be because working alongside would be pretty much impossible from the sounds of it? I have home commitments so am a bit wary if loans are paid in instalments like undergrad programmes or are they more of a monthly salary? Also is there a minimum amount there is not much info about regarding this!!

Last question.. roughly how soon do the placements in a school start after enrolling onto the pgce course? I have a few days booked away for the end of October and am worried that it will not fall into half term.. would these be honoured at all or could universities try to accommodate this if I make it known at the beginning of the course?

Tia for any help!! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Outside of London, the minimum loan amount is £4168, or £3314 if you're living with parents. However, you'd only get this amount in a really high earning household, where others would presumably be able to support you. It's paid out like other student loans, so you will have to save and budget for your monthly commitments. If you have travel expenses getting to and from placement, most unis will reimburse you for these at least partially. You'll also be entitled to the same help as other students e.g. with childcare costs.

The uni will not honour your pre-booked holiday commitments- over October half term during my PGCE, I had to attend lectures. Attendance at lectures is required and it could cause you problems if you're not able to attend without good reason. You'll need to talk to the uni about this, but I'd plan on not being able to go- sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending