The Student Room Group

how do you deal with overbearing parents?

I've been hearing the phrase "you're not good enough" for YEARS and its affected me really badly as it is showing now with my mental health . My parents are not generally strict but they have controlled me in a way that I've never been able to make my own decisions up till today and they just think I can fit into their ideal version of how they want to shape my life...
Original post by barbie112
I've been hearing the phrase "you're not good enough" for YEARS and its affected me really badly as it is showing now with my mental health . My parents are not generally strict but they have controlled me in a way that I've never been able to make my own decisions up till today and they just think I can fit into their ideal version of how they want to shape my life...

1. Get an outside social life, so you have other adults and friends to interact with and treat you well. Hobbies and societies.
2. Do well in your exams to give you options for uni.
3. Learn to seem to listen but let it go in one ear and out the other. Dont let them beat you down and focus on being strong.
My mother was a overbearing, narcissistic, helicopter parent. The best thing I did was just cut her our of my life. If you can do it, it helps a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest