Bringing a dog to Uni Watch

Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You would need to rent privately however that will be very costly to rent a flat all on your own.But maybe in 2nd year you can rent a massive house with your friends and then bring your dog.
flopsypopsy1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If its a licensed therapy animal, speak to the university and see if they can help with it.

If its a dog that just kinda helps with anxiety cos you can give it a cuddle, leave it at home with your parents - no way is it gonna be allowed.
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Report 1 week ago
I hate dogs.

Leave that bacterial cesspit at home.
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't forget that many unis will offer emotional support animals of their own accord (weekly sessions and the like). It is a decent alternative if you can't take your dog
someoneanonymous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You might be able to get an exception if your dog helps with anxiety and stress.
Try asking a university councellor
Lucy189
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are highly unlikely to find accommodation that will allow you to bring a dog, and even if you did, the conditions (eg space) in student accommodation wouldn’t be fair on the dog. It would be much better to leave your dog at home for them. Most universities offer a good support system especially in the first term. You could look at accommodation further out and drive/travel, where it would be cheaper and you could get somewhere with a garden etc, but then you would have to travel and be away from your dog all day which isn’t fair. So really I know it will be difficult at first but you should leave your dog at home.
(Original post by ebrown155)
I am planning on starting Uni in 2020 and am looking forward to starting the course, but I own a medium sized dog and wondering if anyone has advice on finding accommodation and if they know anything or anyone who has brought a pet to Uni?
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Exactly, plus there will be no garden if you are in halls so where is the dog going to go to the toilet when you are out at uni all day. Additionally bored dog = damaged room. Then there are vet bills to consider, just a general nightmare from the off.
Jesus mother of holy mackerel christ I forgot about the fact that dogs defecate.

I know how this is going to go. Hold him/her/it over the toilet?
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
You would need to rent privately however that will be very costly to rent a flat all on your own.But maybe in 2nd year you can rent a massive house with your friends and then bring your dog.
Most private landlords don't allow dogs.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Jesus mother of holy mackerel christ I forgot about the fact that dogs defecate.

I know how this is going to go. Hold him/her/it over the toilet?
Same as at home, you take them out for a walk. But there's still the fundamental issue that most university accommodation (private or university) simply doesn't allow dogs.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is easier to leave your dog at home with your parents and visit during weekends/holidays.
But I have lived with several student flatmates and their pet dogs over the years.
It is possible to find private landlords willing to rent to students with pets and flatmates willing to look after your dog during your classes.
Most universities only allow registered assistance dogs into the uni.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ebrown155)
Thanks, however, this dog helps with my anxiety and I don't think I would cope leaving her at home. People raise babies while doing a course, so I think keeping a dog wouldn't be a bad thing
I think that's all the more reason to leave her home. You really should not have to depend on a pet just to be able to 'cope'. That's quite unhealthy. And raising babies while at university is idiotic, so don't follow such examples. (Obviously keeping a dog is nowhere near as bad though, just inconvenient and not at all good for the dog.)
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
And raising babies while at university is idiotic
What's it like up there on yer pedestal?
suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seems to me your options are either

a. stick to a uni where you either live at home or close enough to see the dog often

b. borrow a dog https://cinnamon.org.uk/ of find a college with one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-28966001

c. Get your anxiety treated - and that's the one I recommend - and go to uni when you are better able to cope
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
What's it like up there on yer pedestal?
Feels good having common sense. Can't believe some people think it's a good idea to study at university, which demands full time commitment, and raise children at the same time. Complete lack of sense and care for the children.
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Feels good having common sense. Can't believe some people think it's a good idea to study at university, which demands full time commitment, and raise children at the same time. Complete lack of sense and care for the children.
New rules then, everyone. No one who has children should be allowed to go to university. :naughty:

It's not like working full time and raising children is acceptable or anything...
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you as judgemental about working parents?
Uni study isn't as many hours a week as working full time.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How is it any different from needing to work full time? I worked less hours per week at university than I did at a full time job. Loads of people manage kids and work or kids and uni, ya meff.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
New rules then, everyone. No one who has children should be allowed to go to university. :naughty:

It's not like working full time and raising children is acceptable or anything...
Not even acceptable, but necessary much of the time.
Ynnus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As opposed to employed parents, who don't have any distractions and can focus completely on the baby?
Grow up.
Lots of people do uni as mature students with kids.
beckynunn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I have a friend who goes to uni and rents a flat with a dog. She also recently bought a puppy so they kept each other company whilst she was in lectures etc. They helped with stress and anxiety. I think it’s best that you look around and ring and ask places and explain the situation! X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How are you feeling ahead of this paper?

Feeling positive! (10)
11.49%
Okay. Just a little more work... (27)
31.03%
Not feeling great (29)
33.33%
Send URGENT HELP!!! (21)
24.14%

Watched Threads