Job or university - which will give better prospects?

Watch
Chloe_maria08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok so I just need some advice really on what the best option would be for the career I am interested in. I would like to be a youth worker or have some sort of job working with disadvantaged families/children.

I have applied for university to study a BA Hons in Youth and Community Work and received an unconditional offer (I already have the grades). I have also applied for a support apprentice which is in a similar setting, however I had my interview for the apprenticeship and I didn't enjoy it as much I first thought. I was told that employment isn't guaranteed at the end of the 12 months, and I know there is 4 positions available, therefore when applying for a job in that field afterwards with the same company there would be a lot of competition.

I have researched and now understand that I can never be a fully qualified youth worker unless I have a degree recognised by the National Youth Agency (the degree I have an offer for is recognised). However, my only worry is that there have been recent cuts in this area which could impact me in the future.

So does anybody have any advice on what the best option is? I think I am certain of what would be best, however I would just like to hear another person's perspective. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have no knowledge of the sector at all but I'd go for the degree. From what you've said it sounds like it would open far more doors in the future - even if you end up working outside the specific field you've currently chosen. Apprenticeships can be better sometimes but if, after 12 months, you face a highly competitive battle to even gain an entry level position... that doesn't sound great to me.

Also worth considering that there's a good chance the recent cuts will (I think) eventually be reversed as austerity ends.
Chloe_maria08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Neilos)
I have no knowledge of the sector at all but I'd go for the degree. From what you've said it sounds like it would open far more doors in the future - even if you end up working outside the specific field you've currently chosen. Apprenticeships can be better sometimes but if, after 12 months, you face a highly competitive battle to even gain an entry level position... that doesn't sound great to me.

Also worth considering that there's a good chance the recent cuts will (I think) eventually be reversed as austerity ends.
I was leaning more towards the degree, as the apprenticeship didn't seem to offer as many opportunities in comparison. I've not heard back from anybody regarding the apprenticeship as of yet, but I just thought it was best to consider my options first. Also, the degree offers 900 placement hours so I thought it would offer more real experience than an office environment. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I just wanted somebody else's opinion to see if I would be making the right decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (102)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (138)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed