I'm an examiner: AMA (within reason) Watch

Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Visual_Learner)
How do you help students with dyslexia and dyscalculia do well in exams?
Thanks for the question. This isn't something which examiners get involved with. We mark what is before us- no more, no less. It is for centres (eg your school or college) to make submissions regarding extra time etc.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by CuriosityYay)
Did you mean to quote me
No - I meant to quote IDOZ. Sorry!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ailurophile03)
okay thanks
and what about the bullet points, are we allowed to do that?
If it adequately answers the question, then bullet points are fine. Probably more relevant to science short answers though.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
Me! :creep:

Apologies if you ever happened to mark my papers/question of mine :rofl:
:lol: I'll look out for some particularly terrible writing then, shall I?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
:lol: I'll look out for some particularly terrible writing then, shall I?
Haha, fortunately did my GCSEs 6 years ago now. So unless you have some ridiculous memory, you won't be enjoying the delights of my handwriting any time soon
Turtlebunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was hoping I could make this post anonymously to avoid messages/direct messages regarding anything, I applied to one of the major examining boards to mark 'a subject'!

So this is actually a question from one examiner to another (or examiner to be) since my awarding body does not give much information to their examiners: do you know when training/standardisation typically takes places for UK May/June examinations and when marking takes place (i.e. how soon after the exam is sat are we asked to mark).

As mentioned above I won't be replying to any personal or private questions about marking from anyone else. Thanks!
As an examiner of many years' experience for a major awarding body, I'm doing an AMA for you to put your questions regarding the setting, administration and marking of your upcoming examinations. I principally mark Biology, but have also marked Chemistry. I'm happy to answer questions about these sciences in particular, or more general non-specific subject questions. Candidates often have misconceptions surrounding the marking and moderation of their papers, and maybe I can dispel a couple of them via this thread. For instance - if you write outside the box, it will be marked!

I will not comment on the adequacy or otherwise of individual answers to particular examination questions, so please don't post questions which ask this.

Ask away.

NB: the views and advice I give here are based on my own personal experience and observation. They are not the views of a particular awarding body, nor are they officially endorsed by one. Should you have specific, substantive queries about your individual examination entry, you must contact your school/college tutor or Examinations Officer about it.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by Turtlebunny)
I was hoping I could make this post anonymously to avoid messages/direct messages regarding anything, I applied to one of the major examining boards to mark 'a subject'!

So this is actually a question from one examiner to another (or examiner to be) since my awarding body does not give much information to their examiners: do you know when training/standardisation typically takes places for UK May/June examinations and when marking takes place (i.e. how soon after the exam is sat are we asked to mark).

As mentioned above I won't be replying to any personal or private questions about marking from anyone else. Thanks!
Hi Standardisation is within a week after your exam date, and marking will go live very shortly after that. Depending on your quota it will take anything up to three weeks and is pretty intense.

Good luck with it. PM me if you need to - I'm happy for you to do that.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you ever discover/suspect cheating when marking papers? If so what do you do about it?
CuriosityYay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why does it take so long for the results to be published?

How long after the exam do you start to mark the papers and when do you typically finish marking all the papers?
CuriosityYay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
Do you ever discover/suspect cheating when marking papers? If so what do you do about it?
My dad always tells me they will suspect you are cheating when he was trying to convince me to put my working.

He tells me the first question that comes to mind how did you reach the answer? You probably just saw it from the person next to you.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
It would be difficult to make a case for this because answers are marked as 'clips' - scans of individual questions from the cohort. Though we have the ability to view the entire script, I can't think how an examiner would become suspicious of any misdeeds through just marking a clip. Where any suspicions are raised, however, the script would be escalated to the examiner's team leader. It's not something I've come across, however - I think invigilators are probably better placed to raise the alarm.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by CuriosityYay)
Why does it take so long for the results to be published?
There are hundreds of thousands of candidates - things take time. The examining process doesn't just stop at marking, and there are various processes to go through after the scripts have been marked in the immediate 'aftermath' so to speak.

How long after the exam do you start to mark the papers and when do you typically finish marking all the papers?
See my other answer regading this.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How often do you give the benefit of the doubt if the explanation isn't perfect?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glaz)
How often do you give the benefit of the doubt if the explanation isn't perfect?
Good question.

This comes down to the examiner's experience and ability to make fine distinctions. Above all, it's a question of the examiner being able to correctly interpret the answer given and relate it to the marking scheme. Examiners are selected on their ability to do this. In science, there is probably less room for doubt that in arts subjects (very generally speaking), but examiners are always looking to award credit where they can. If an answer contains the right points, then we will always award credit where we can.
IDOZ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This thread is for me to give people correct answers, not for you to give them wrong ones!
Hey, this is what I’ve been told
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by IDOZ)
Hey, this is what I’ve been told
So you've been told wrong then...
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How often do you get irrelevant comments such as "I hate science" or whatever?
SanicSpeed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
How often do you get irrelevant comments such as "I hate science" or whatever?
Lol I second this, how many 'messages' do you get in the papers?
K Russell
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can examiners ever be generous and give you extra marks if the answer is technically correct?
Wooord
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What general exam advice would you give to someone who realllllyyy struggles with biology A-level?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1175)
54.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (468)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.36%

Watched Threads