Report 1 month ago
Would you give me A*?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We're from the same breed. :laugh: I did my GCSEs 6 years ago too! (I think)
(Original post by 8472)
Haha, fortunately did my GCSEs 6 years ago now. So unless you have some ridiculous memory, you won't be enjoying the delights of my handwriting any time soon
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
16 years ago, here :laugh:
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
The worst part was. I had to actually spend a moment to work out how long ago it was :rofl:

:shakecane:
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How long does it take to mark a paper and how many do you have to mark?
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
As an examiner of many years' experience for a major awarding body, I'm doing an AMA for you to put your questions regarding the setting, administration and marking of your upcoming examinations. I principally mark Biology, but have also marked Chemistry. I'm happy to answer questions about these sciences in particular, or more general non-specific subject questions. Candidates often have misconceptions surrounding the marking and moderation of their papers, and maybe I can dispel a couple of them via this thread. For instance - if you write outside the box, it will be marked!

I will not comment on the adequacy or otherwise of individual answers to particular examination questions, so please don't post questions which ask this.

Ask away.

NB: the views and advice I give here are based on my own personal experience and observation. They are not the views of a particular awarding body, nor are they officially endorsed by one. Should you have specific, substantive queries about your individual examination entry, you must contact your school/college tutor or Examinations Officer about it.
Wow never knew you were an examiner:eek:
neuronal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As an examiner of many years' experience for a major awarding body, I'm doing an AMA for you to put your questions regarding the setting, administration and marking of your upcoming examinations. I principally mark Biology, but have also marked Chemistry. I'm happy to answer questions about these sciences in particular, or more general non-specific subject questions. Candidates often have misconceptions surrounding the marking and moderation of their papers, and maybe I can dispel a couple of them via this thread. For instance - if you write outside the box, it will be marked!

I will not comment on the adequacy or otherwise of individual answers to particular examination questions, so please don't post questions which ask this.

Ask away.

NB: the views and advice I give here are based on my own personal experience and observation. They are not the views of a particular awarding body, nor are they officially endorsed by one. Should you have specific, substantive queries about your individual examination entry, you must contact your school/college tutor or Examinations Officer about it.
What's the funniest answers you've seen students write?
Do a lot of students write messages/complaints on their exam paper? e.g, "I hate this question". I know people in my class who did this, just curious to see how common it is.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
How often do you get irrelevant comments such as "I hate science" or whatever?
First off, congratulations in becoming SL

The answer is 'fairly often'! I've also seen too much genitalia being drawn in response to a question. Occasionally one comes across quite offensive material which has to be escalated. This is rare, though.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by K Russell)
Can examiners ever be generous and give you extra marks if the answer is technically correct?
No, most definitely not. If the answer is correct, it will score the maximum number of marks permitted by the mark scheme. No more, no less.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First off, congratulations in becoming SL

The answer is 'fairly often'! I've also seen too much genitalia being drawn in response to a question. Occasionally one comes across quite offensive material which has to be escalated. This is rare, though.
Thank you!
:lol: Some people have far too much time in an exam...
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wooord)
What general exam advice would you give to someone who realllllyyy struggles with biology A-level?
The absolute best advice I could give is:

read the question
read the question
read the question

Too many times candidates fail to answer the question set, and instead answer the question they'd wished had been set. This often comes from poor examination preparation consisting primarily of 'pre-prepared' essay answers which have largely been learnt by rote. The candidate goes into the examination read to vomit up this pre-prepared material and, when they find that their 'question' doesn't come up, nevertheless vomit it up to an entirely different question. This is fatal. You must always make sure your answer directly and wholly answers the question asked.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airmed)
Would you give me A*?
:lol:, I'd actually give you a 9. A* is too commonplace.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
How long does it take to mark a paper and how many do you have to mark?
Your normal 'examiner' doesn't mark an individual candidate's paper in its entirety and then moves on to the next paper. They're marked electronically as 'clips' which are anonymous scanned responses to an individual question. Examiners tend to mark all the same question at one time, before moving onto the next question in the paper. There is also automatic marking by computer, particularly in the lower tiers.

An average 'quota' of marking would be about 800 'clips'. It's impossible to give this as 'script equivalents' because every exam has a different number of machine-marked questions.
IDOZ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you've been told wrong then...
I was told by an exam board
Reality Check
Rep:
?
It's not that exciting, honestly :lol: But it does give you an insight into students' learning and common misconceptions, and is thus invaluable.
(Original post by thestudent33)
Wow never knew you were an examiner:eek:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
(Original post by neuronal)
What's the funniest answers you've seen students write?
It wouldn't be appropriate for me to give you an example, as I'm sure you understand

Do a lot of students write messages/complaints on their exam paper? e.g, "I hate this question". I know people in my class who did this, just curious to see how common it is.
See #48.
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your normal 'examiner' doesn't mark an individual candidate's paper in its entirety and then moves on to the next paper. They're marked electronically as 'clips' which are anonymous scanned responses to an individual question. Examiners tend to mark all the same question at one time, before moving onto the next question in the paper. There is also automatic marking by computer, particularly in the lower tiers.

An average 'quota' of marking would be about 800 'clips'. It's impossible to give this as 'script equivalents' because every exam has a different number of machine-marked questions.
:beard: interesting. Must get boring after marking so many :rofl: especially the same question:eek:
AsithU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How often are the answer scripts given to you not entirely visible? Do they ever come out poorly scanned, with the answer being too light to read? (especially with graphs drawn in pencil instead of black pen)
What about if a candidate has written an answer somewhere other than the given space and has drawn an arrow or something pointing to the answer?
How often would these sorts of things go unnoticed, leaving candidates not being awarded credit simply because the question was assumed to be unattempted?
jsjsjsjs333
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you ever see out of the box methods not seen on the markscheme? Do students get credit for unusual methods not on the markscheme?
maryammanahil6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello there! is negative marking prevalent in this months examinations?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (339)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.31%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.34%

Watched Threads