The Student Room Group

Parking Eye challenge

Anyone out there got a fine from these scumbags?

Overstayed in a car park by like 20 minutes but neither myself nor any of my passengers saw any restriction on parking signs in the carpark in question (will be going back to it to double check). Got a letter today from these dirtbags wanting £70 off of me for the privilege (has dates and photos etc).

Anyone out there had any experiences of these scumbags and if yes did you manage to get it turned over and how?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
If there was no signs in clear view whatsoever then you can appeal it to Parking Eye or POPLA. You have to be certain though that there was no clear signage listing the T&C's and you'll need to back that up.

If there was one near or within the car park then you have no grounds for appeal and should just pay it, even if it was 1 minute never mind 20.
Reply 2
Original post by xDron3
If there was no signs in clear view whatsoever then you can appeal it to Parking Eye or POPLA. You have to be certain though that there was no clear signage listing the T&C's and you'll need to back that up.

If there was one near or within the car park then you have no grounds for appeal and should just pay it, even if it was 1 minute never mind 20.

Many thanks for thr input.

What exactly is POPLA? I would google it but I am currently pushed for time so it would be much appreciated 🤙

That's my plan at the moment, head back to the carpark and have a look for some signs and go from there.

What's the best course of action if there are signs but they're hidden behind a bush or something like that and I have proof of it?
Reply 3
What xDron3 said basically. I looked into it a year or so ago, and if there is a sign in the carpark or at the entrance or exit you have no chance. You can't even argue that an excess of available parking spaces was grounds for it to be waived as you didn't really cause loss of revenue to the landowner. That argument was refused by a court a few years ago when someone tried legal action to not pay a fine.

Me I just paid my fine and got on with life. Haven't used that carpark since.
Reply 4
Original post by Y333EEE
Many thanks for thr input.

What exactly is POPLA? I would google it but I am currently pushed for time so it would be much appreciated 🤙

That's my plan at the moment, head back to the carpark and have a look for some signs and go from there.

What's the best course of action if there are signs but they're hidden behind a bush or something like that and I have proof of it?

POPLA is an independent company that deals with complaints if the original appeal has failed. You'll get a reference number if you get rejected from Parking Eye and if you truly believe you're in the right then you send it to them and they will review it without bias.

In regards to it being behind a bush, could you show us the picture you've got?
they try fine me like every other day lmao.

ignore.
Reply 6
Original post by xDron3
POPLA is an independent company that deals with complaints if the original appeal has failed. You'll get a reference number if you get rejected from Parking Eye and if you truly believe you're in the right then you send it to them and they will review it without bias.

In regards to it being behind a bush, could you show us the picture you've got?

Many thanks again for the response.

Regarding the obstructed Signage, I am at current speaking hypothetically about it as I have not been back to the car park since. I am heading back to the car park in question after work tomorrow and will update when I do. Just wondering what the signage should say as well. If its written in that much gibberish that it might as well be written in Swahili would that be grounds for an appeal? I'm not beginning the appeal should I decide to do so until I gather my evidence as it puts me in a much stronger position to do so.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Y333EEE
Many thanks again for the response.

Regarding the obstructed Signage, I am at current speaking hypothetically about it as I have not been back to the car park since. I am heading back to work tomorrow and will update when I do. Just wondering what the signage should say as well. If its written in that much gibberish that it might as well be written in Swahili would that be grounds for an appeal? I'm not beginning the appeal should I decide to do so until I gather my evidence as it puts me in a much stronger position to do so.

Not really - just needs to be there. ParkingEye's signs are standardised and usually fine.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Not really - just needs to be there. ParkingEye's signs are standardised and usually fine.

Many thanks for the response

Ah 🙄 ah well like I said I'm headed back tomorrow and will report back. Certainly never using this specific supermarket again if they employ scumbags like these to run their car parks!!!!!
Reply 9
Yeah so after going back to the carpark there are signs literally everywhere with 1 1/2 hours max stay on, it would appear the part of my brain that usually looks out for them was asleep on the day I went there last 😑
Reply 10
Original post by Y333EEE
Yeah so after going back to the carpark there are signs literally everywhere with 1 1/2 hours max stay on, it would appear the part of my brain that usually looks out for them was asleep on the day I went there last 😑

Were you in the supermarket for the whole time? If so, it might be worth popping in to speak to the manager and show him the receipt if you still have it.
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
Were you in the supermarket for the whole time? If so, it might be worth popping in to speak to the manager and show him the receipt if you still have it.

I wasn't sadly, I popped into the Costa next door for a coffee and someone I knew from school came in and we spent at least an hour chatting, there's not really much I can do other than pay the £40 move on and Parking Eye also has a reputation for taking people to court
Reply 12
Original post by Y333EEE
I wasn't sadly, I popped into the Costa next door for a coffee and someone I knew from school came in and we spent at least an hour chatting, there's not really much I can do other than pay the £40 move on and Parking Eye also has a reputation for taking people to court

Lesson well learned.

Quick Reply

Latest