SS__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey Guys,

What's the difference between the 3 STEP papers? My Warwick offer says I can do any of them, so wanted to know.

Thanks
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In short:
  • STEP I examines content in A-level maths and proof by induction.
  • STEP II examines content from A-level maths and AS further maths
  • STEP III examines content from both A-level maths and further maths.

STEP II and III are intended to be about the same difficulty with STEP I usually easier. STEP I has 11 questions (8 pure and 3 applied with at least one from each of stats/mech). STEP II and III both have 12 questions (8 pure, 2 stats, 2 mechanics) The specification is found here: https://www.admissionstesting.org/im...rebranded-.pdf. If you don't do A-levels then this'll probably be more useful in gauging the content examined in each.

Usually, people would take STEP I in your situation. You need to be very quick though if you haven't entered, tomorrow at 5pm is the deadline for entering and you'll be charged late fees. ("normal" entry deadline was on the 3rd!)
SS__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by _gcx)
In short:
  • STEP I examines content in A-level maths and proof by induction.
  • STEP II examines content from A-level maths and AS further maths
  • STEP III examines content from both A-level maths and further maths.

STEP II and III are intended to be about the same difficulty with STEP I usually easier. STEP I has 11 questions (8 pure and 3 applied with at least one from each of stats/mech). STEP II and III both have 12 questions (8 pure, 2 stats, 2 mechanics) The specification is found here: https://www.admissionstesting.org/im...rebranded-.pdf. If you don't do A-levels then this'll probably be more useful in gauging the content examined in each.

Usually, people would take STEP I in your situation. You need to be very quick though if you haven't entered, tomorrow at 5pm is the deadline for entering and you'll be charged late fees. ("normal" entry deadline was on the 3rd!)
Thank you for that. I've decided to go for I and II. My college only brought it up today, I had completely forgotten, but yh they're getting it done.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SS__)
Thank you for that. I've decided to go for I and II. My college only brought it up today, I had completely forgotten, but yh they're getting it done.
My school only confirmed my entry the day of the standard deadline Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.64%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise