The Student Room Group

Should the voting age be raised to 19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em3fr
Should be lowered to 16 in my opinion. They are affected as much as others, if not more. They will grow up with the consequences of the current government.
Feel sorry they don’t get a say.

That’s not a great argument really. That could be used to give a three year old a vote..
Original post by em3fr
I think some 16 year olds do have good knowledge about the vote. My friends younger sister is 16 and she knows it all, keeps up to date with everything and has really good points about it.
A lot of 16 year olds are mature enough, there’s just those few that aren’t and spoil it.

I think the government should have separate votes for 16/17 year olds and then take their opinion into consideration too.

As of now, 18 is better than what it used to be 100 years ago haha.

Fair enough, I'm not sure about whether 16/17 year olds should get the vote, I used to be for it, but now I'm not sure. Since the EU referendum, I believe teachers have influenced students to vote remain. In college, only one of my teachers voted leave, and that was my politics teacher. All the other teachers, voted remain, and influenced people to vote remain.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
No, there's literally no point.

Fair enough
Original post by Andrew97
That’s not a great argument really. That could be used to give a three year old a vote..

Three year olds don’t know what the EU is. 16 year olds do. They learn it at school I’m sure, that’s what my friends little sister said.
Original post by em3fr
Three year olds don’t know what the EU is. 16 year olds do. They learn it at school I’m sure, that’s what my friends little sister said.

You entirely missed my point.
Whilst you do have a point, it's important to consider level of education. 16 year old's are aware of social and political issues surrounding them. They are frustrated at being denied the right to vote. 3 year old's on the other hand, I'm not so sure.
Original post by Andrew97
On the other hand, 16 y/o often base voted on friendships rather than the issues that matter, there is study to support this. How can we trust them to be more or less likely to make an informed decision.

Ultimately, 18 is the voting age in most countries and has been for years. Let's keep it that way because it's always worked.
Original post by Pamplemousse19
Whilst you do have a point, it's important to consider level of education. 16 year old's are aware of social and political issues surrounding them. They are frustrated at being denied the right to vote. 3 year old's on the other hand, I'm not so sure.
Of course. Especially today, there are many ways that 16 year old's are able to take action. Youth protests are becoming more and more significant. However, raising the voting age to 19, as I have mentioned, is a backwards step.
On the other hand, 16 y/o often base voted on friendships rather than the issues that matter, there is study to support this. How can we trust them to be more or less likely to make an informed decision.

Ultimately, 18 is the voting age in most countries and has been for years. Let's keep it that way because it's always worked.
They can still hand our flyers, help with door to door campaigns, if anything those things will help them decide and make better informed choices.
Original post by Pamplemousse19
Of course. Especially today, there are many ways that 16 year old's are able to take action.
Absoloutely, and I really hope that today's youth continue to take action!
They can still hand our flyers, help with door to door campaigns, if anything those things will help them decide and make better informed choices.
Reply 30
Original post by gazza_of_cyzicus
Yeah, but it would be funny denying 18 year olds a vote, especially since most of them are brainwashed remainers.

“Brainwashed remainers” are you ok? We should have stayed why chose to leave in the first place it’s going to cost far more money to trade now and we will all need visas, all cost far more money that the amount we already pay in to the eu. Not to mention the chaos the choice to leave has created, the fact that the government can’t even agree on a trade agreement proves that we shouldn’t have chosen to leave in the first place
Original post by em3fr
I don’t think 18 year olds aren’t smart.. little bit unfair don’t you think? One year won’t make a difference.

It’s about a matter of opinion and belief when voting, not intelligence.

As Churchill wisely said, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
He was talking about average. That means about 45 yr-olds.
When nations are united, they are stronger.
There is no tangible difference between an 18 year old and a 19 year old.

With regards to lowering it to 16, it would sort of make sense seeing as it's already legal for 16 year olds to go make babies. But then we don't trust them to drive a car or have a bev in the pub so like... ??? It's an annoying debate to try and have when the legal definitions of what an "adult" is aren't at all consistent.
Original post by gazza_of_cyzicus
Should the voting age be raised to 19

I could make a case to put it back to 21, I sometimes feel its time to review and modernise the voting age set in a bygone era where children left school and went to the real world at 15 years old!

However I think leaving it as it is, is probably the best option. Lowering it to 16 is ridiculous
Original post by Burton Bridge
I could make a case to put it back to 21, I sometimes feel its time to review and modernise the voting age set in a bygone era where children left school and went to the real world at 15 years old!

However I think leaving it as it is, is probably the best option. Lowering it to 16 is ridiculous

Waking up an old thread is also ridiculous.

But sound thought, though. :biggrin:
Original post by CuriosityYay
Waking up an old thread is also ridiculous.

But sound thought, though. :biggrin:

Not old too me, I've had a few days off the forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending