(A-level) Need help writing Method in contexts questions (Paper 1) Watch

DR.DOOM
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As many of you know the first A-level paper for sociology is on education and at the moment I'm having a terrible time trying to revise for the methods in context questions. This is mainly due to the fact that my school hasn't been the best at providing us with a good teacher throughout year 2 of sociology.

I have been trying to do practice questions on methods in context, luckily I know a majority of the knowledge for it (PET of research methods such as participant observation, experiments, etc) but at the moment I really don't know how to write the main structure of a methods in context essay nor do I know how to apply the knowledge to the question.

We were NEVER taught methods in context in my whole two years of sociology at A level because my school is abysmal but I'm not here to complain about my school, I want to do my best and get out of this school so I can go to uni. I have provided a few examples of my work so far on methods in context if anyone can help me with this
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay so I've skimmed the first and here's some general feedback:
Good use of key terms, like Weber's verstehen
It's good you discussed positivists and intepretivists
Good number of points - if anything, it's too long!

However,
You maybe could've used an actual sociologist's name (this isn't 1000000% necessary, but impressive if you do)
You didn't actually refer to the context of the question. You talked about teachers and pupils, but not in the context/they were quite weak points. Remember, without context/appropriate context, you can only get max I think it's 11 marks. You could've discussed vulnerability of students as children, e.g. they're not old enough to understand so cannot give fully informed consent.

Overall, it's a good essay considering your proper lack of teaching, but it's the context!
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to add after a brief look at the other essay, make your intros and conclusions distinct. Intros don't have to be long at all, just discussing the item briefly and talking about positivism and interpretivism. But your conclusion is supposed to weigh up your arguments and come to a final conclusion/decision.

Hope I'm not being too harsh!
corajacobs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My teacher taught us the levels structure. There is L1- which you do first, this is where you write general strengths and limitations of using the particular research method in the question. Should have about 5 or 6 points. Then it’s L2- this is a paragraph or two on the research setting, the characteristics of the researcher and the types of people involved . You have to talk about the problems for example if it was a question on studying labelling in school the researcher may struggle to access the school let alone speak to the pupils. 2 or 3 points to make. L3- this is where you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of using the particular research method to study the topic given in the question. Make 2 or 3 good points and reference triangulation as no method alone brings true reliability, validity and representativeness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads

Latest