The Student Room Group

Helppppppppppppp

So I'm in year 10 at the moment and I would really like to have any tips anyone has for my mocks and GCSE's please. Any links, past papers and advice would be much greatly appreciated. Thanks xx
It’s been about three years now since I finished my GCSE’s so a while since I’ve been in your position.

I used to do past papers exhaustively. Like all the time, and this was the lead up to my exams. If you do them all the in Year 10 and then revisit in Year 11, you’ll give yourself a great chance at passing your GCSEs! I used to ask teachers for all the past papers they had and I ended up with A4 folders FULL of the things for each subject. So try this!

If not, then go to your exam boards website. You can download PDFs of past papers and their mark schemes and then you can print them out and fill them in yourself.

It’s really beneficial to do an open book exam, especially at this stage where you’re still trying the learn the material rather than learn how to sit an exam. Use your text books if you’re stuck on questions BEFORE looking at a mark scheme, it’s much more beneficial trying to find the relevant answers yourself through research.

Flash cards! Or posters! These are amazing and often overlooked as a revision technique as it doesn’t feel like you’re revising. But actually finding important information and repeatedly writing it out with methods such as these make you remember it!

Set aside an hour a week for each subject you take and you’ll give yourself the best chance. You can add more time for subjects you’re struggling in, but I wouldn’t revise for less than an hour per week because this probably won’t get any results. When you get closer to your exams, do more.

Hope this helps!
Original post by TeeCup_
It’s been about three years now since I finished my GCSE’s so a while since I’ve been in your position.

I used to do past papers exhaustively. Like all the time, and this was the lead up to my exams. If you do them all the in Year 10 and then revisit in Year 11, you’ll give yourself a great chance at passing your GCSEs! I used to ask teachers for all the past papers they had and I ended up with A4 folders FULL of the things for each subject. So try this!

If not, then go to your exam boards website. You can download PDFs of past papers and their mark schemes and then you can print them out and fill them in yourself.

It’s really beneficial to do an open book exam, especially at this stage where you’re still trying the learn the material rather than learn how to sit an exam. Use your text books if you’re stuck on questions BEFORE looking at a mark scheme, it’s much more beneficial trying to find the relevant answers yourself through research.

Flash cards! Or posters! These are amazing and often overlooked as a revision technique as it doesn’t feel like you’re revising. But actually finding important information and repeatedly writing it out with methods such as these make you remember it!

Set aside an hour a week for each subject you take and you’ll give yourself the best chance. You can add more time for subjects you’re struggling in, but I wouldn’t revise for less than an hour per week because this probably won’t get any results. When you get closer to your exams, do more.

Hope this helps!

Wow that is a lot. I've started doing exam papers but only from the start of this year. Last year (year 9) I did absolutely no revision or preparation and that's put me back a lot i guess (rebel days lol). but thanks. i'll get more past papers if you think that they help. BTW I've got a biology mock topics 1-4 tomorrow. Any advice? And thanks again x
Original post by noortahir_Yr10
Wow that is a lot. I've started doing exam papers but only from the start of this year. Last year (year 9) I did absolutely no revision or preparation and that's put me back a lot i guess (rebel days lol). but thanks. i'll get more past papers if you think that they help. BTW I've got a biology mock topics 1-4 tomorrow. Any advice? And thanks again x

I can’t remember any of the biology syllabus as it’s not what I’ve gone on to study. However all I can suggest is you keep revising in a way that suits you most. If you haven’t really started yet then I suggest flash cards, posters and reading the revision books!

Remember that mocks aren’t everything and although you should try, they aren’t life or death. I failed both sets of my mocks miserably (E’s and U’s) and got all 10 GCSEs C and above! Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest