Learning to Love Yourself: Making Small Changes Watch

DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey! :hi: 13th-19th May is Mental Health Awareness week and this year's focus is on body image. This got me thinking about how I view my own body, what I don't like, what I like, and what I've learned to like / love. :hmmmm:

Some of you may have seen my fitness blog tracking my progress with losing my little stomach podge. I'm not overweight and am healthy, but all my weight gathers around my stomach which can make me look a teeny bit pregnant. :lolwut: I've hated this part of me for years, but since making a few small changes in my daily life since February, I can say I'm almost there with loving myself. :lovedup:

Lots of people will tell you that you need to love yourself as you are now. I disagree. :noway: If you aren't happy with something, and you have the potential to try to change it, you should give it a go. Here's what I did and how I'm closer to loving myself:

- Made simple swaps in my daily life e.g. doing a 20 minute home workout instead of watching an episode of That 70s Show
- Bought myself a progress diary so I could track and visualise my improvements
- Celebrated the tiny successes
- Appreciated what I like about myself by looking in the mirror and saying "I'm having a good skin day today" really made a difference!

What about you guys? How have you learned to love yourself? :heart: Are you on your path right now? Or if you're struggling, tell us what you're unsure about! We are all in this crazy story called life together, so let's support each other through it! :grouphugs:
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 2 weeks ago
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Hey! :hi: 13th-19th May is Mental Health Awareness week and this year's focus is on body image. This got me thinking about how I view my own body, what I don't like, what I like, and what I've learned to like / love. :hmmmm:

Some of you may have seen my fitness blog tracking my progress with losing my little stomach podge. I'm not overweight and am healthy, but all my weight gathers around my stomach which can make me look a teeny bit pregnant. :lolwut: I've hated this part of me for years, but since making a few small changes in my daily life since February, I can say I'm almost there with loving myself. :lovedup:

Lots of people will tell you that you need to love yourself as you are now. I disagree. :noway: If you aren't happy with something, and you have the potential to try to change it, you should give it a go. Here's what I did and how I'm closer to loving myself:

- Made simple swaps in my daily life e.g. doing a 20 minute home workout instead of watching an episode of That 70s Show
- Appreciated what I like about myself by looking in the mirror and saying "I'm having a good skin day today" really made a difference!

What about you guys? How have you learned to love yourself? :heart: Are you on your path right now? Or if you're struggling, tell us what you're unsure about! We are all in this crazy story called life together, so let's support each other through it! :grouphugs:
Accepting my differently wired brain has sometimes been more challenging for me than not liking my body, i just try to remind myself that i do have strengths mentally and that i can't fix my weakness but i can try to work around them.
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Accepting my differently wired brain has sometimes been more challenging for me than not liking my body, i just try to remind myself that i do have strengths mentally and that i can't fix my weakness but i can try to work around them.
You have so many strengths claire :yep:
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You have so many strengths claire :yep:
thank you, that's very kind of you to say
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Great thread and great to hear you are happier in yourself. I don't think loving yourself atm/loving yourself as you are, and wanting/needing to make changes are entirely mutually exclusive, but that's just me! For example, I'm a lot better at loving myself for who and what I am, but I do acknowledge that losing weight would be beneficial all-round for me, and that it's something I should aim to do over the next few months :yes:

It's great that keeping a progress diary and complimenting yourself on things you do like about yourself has helped you :awesome: Keep up the good work DTL :king1:
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Great thread and great to hear you are happier in yourself. I don't think loving yourself atm/loving yourself as you are, and wanting/needing to make changes are entirely mutually exclusive, but that's just me! For example, I'm a lot better at loving myself for who and what I am, but I do acknowledge that losing weight would be beneficial all-round for me, and that it's something I should aim to do over the next few months :yes:

It's great that keeping a progress diary and complimenting yourself on things you do like about yourself has helped you :awesome: Keep up the good work DTL :king1:
Definitely agree with you there! For some people they can go hand-in-hand (like you meself) but for others it's a different story. Hope you achieve your goals too
StrawberryDreams
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I think it's so hard to be positive about yourself, and it's great that you have the strength to try and make a change

I am also trying to be a bit kinder to myself - suffering with an autoimmune disease like coeliac disease means that bloating is a big part of my life, and I have to accept my stomach will never be 100% flat! I find that having post-it notes up on my mirror saying positive affirmations can be a big help - if I'm looking at something I don't like and getting a bit frustrated or upset over it, I look at the post-it's instead which have nice things to say, unlike my head.

Just remember: would you speak to someone else the way you're speaking to yourself when you are feeling unhappy with your body? If not, then you're probably being overly unkind to yourself!
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
I think it's so hard to be positive about yourself, and it's great that you have the strength to try and make a change

I am also trying to be a bit kinder to myself - suffering with an autoimmune disease like coeliac disease means that bloating is a big part of my life, and I have to accept my stomach will never be 100% flat! I find that having post-it notes up on my mirror saying positive affirmations can be a big help - if I'm looking at something I don't like and getting a bit frustrated or upset over it, I look at the post-it's instead which have nice things to say, unlike my head.

Just remember: would you speak to someone else the way you're speaking to yourself when you are feeling unhappy with your body? If not, then you're probably being overly unkind to yourself!
That's a really good idea! Think I might pinch it too. I struggle with not having a flat stomach, hence my desire to get rid of my podge. But that's just genetics - any weight I gain / have is held in my middle area. I keep having to tell myself that it's just my genes, because I'm a totally healthy weight but still feel like I'm too fat because of how my body distributes the weight.

You have a really good attitude towards your body
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
22.79%
The paper was reasonable (427)
44.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.28%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
14.08%

Watched Threads