The Student Room Group

Is it time for a United Ireland?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Rubbish, the majority of them were nationalist Catholics who wanted to unite. Do you know your own history?

Don't be ridiculous.
Reply 41
Original post by Fullofsurprises
My theory is there should be a completely open market across these islands, which would clearly be better served if we stayed in the EU - Brexit is against the interests of everyone on the island of Ireland, not least Northern Irish working class protestants misled by the DUP.

We effectively have had an open market across the British Isles since 1973. The problem is that you cannot have a unified market across two separate states. Quite rightly, either one has the power to diverge significantly from another - in many ways, it is these non-tariff barriers that are more important than the simple creation of a common market. Currency, regulation, taxation policy, legal structures, commercial law - all conspire to make it more difficult to trade outside a country than within it.

In terms of being 'misled' - I'm a Remain voter, I'd still prefer the UK to be part of the EU and for all of this to go away. But it takes a certain level of arrogance to suggest that there is not a space for reasoned disagreement in these areas: that people only fell for Brexit because they were gullible dupes.

Failing that, NI would be better off with the South in the EU if the UK persists with self-harm.

I'm not really sure what case you've made on that. From an economic perspective, as I've outlined above, the benefit seems to be continued participation in the United Kingdom.
Reply 42
Original post by That Bearded Man
There would be alot more economic repercussions for NI leaving the EU than there would be leaving the UK. 66 million v 512 million. Trade with the Republic always have been a political issue (Kilroot) so there's no surprise trade with the South is lower.

Which would suggest, of course, that Northern Ireland would be better joining the People's Republic of China. But completely ignores the existing flows of trade, the unified domestic market that the UK has. We know that Northern Ireland trades more than double with the rest of the UK than it does with the whole of the rest of the EU - including ROI - put together.

Northern Ireland not only trades more with the rest of the UK than it does with the EU, the British union is a more incorporating one. That is why it would be a far, far greater negative to leave the EU than to leave the UK.
Original post by L i b
Which would suggest, of course, that Northern Ireland would be better joining the People's Republic of China. But completely ignores the existing flows of trade, the unified domestic market that the UK has. We know that Northern Ireland trades more than double with the rest of the UK than it does with the whole of the rest of the EU - including ROI - put together.

Northern Ireland not only trades more with the rest of the UK than it does with the EU, the British union is a more incorporating one. That is why it would be a far, far greater negative to leave the EU than to leave the UK.

So it's fair to assume that UK/EU trade will entirely stay the same should Britain leave the EU then?

I mean, that is the current existing flow of trade.

Were already incorporating Southern services into healthcare and energy. It is a fair assumption we would expand on those, plus receive additional EU subsidies along the way (of course lost were we to leave)
Reply 44
Original post by That Bearded Man
So it's fair to assume that UK/EU trade will entirely stay the same should Britain leave the EU then?

I mean, that is the current existing flow of trade.

Nope, but that's the problem with leaving the EU: it will cause upheaval to that. That's pretty much my argument against Brexit in a nutshell.

Were already incorporating Southern services into healthcare and energy. It is a fair assumption we would expand on those, plus receive additional EU subsidies along the way (of course lost were we to leave)

You're essentially talking about an entire economic upheaval in a generation. As I've mentioned, if there was genuine value in that then it might be worth the considerable short-term economic pain. In this case, however, it is swapping a unified market of 66 million for one of 6 million.

In terms of EU subsidies, the UK is a net contributor to the EU (I'm honestly not sure where ROI stands in that regard). But in any case, Brexit will - all other things being equal - not adversely affect public spending. There may not be £350 million a week for the NHS, but there is no reason I can see to assume it will reduce the level of things like agricultural payments.
Original post by gsmyth
A of distress is being caused here in NI over Brexit and how it is going to affect our key economic sectors. So is it time for a United Ireland?

Please drop your opinions down below. Thanks! :smile:

Whether it is time for NI to join the republic is down to them polling shows that it’s not a done deal this would happen in a referendum known as a border poll.

I’ve always been on the opinion either all of Ireland should be part of the uk or NI shouldn’t be part of the uk.

Now whether that means an independent NI or a unification with the south who knows.
We don't want an UI and also Ireland won't be able to afford the NI. The NI costs the taxpayer 10 billion last year.
All of Ireland part of UK lollolool. Not a chance. Irish don't want to be apart of UK and are extremely proud of there country and heritage and we will not be giving that away to any foreign Union.
Original post by paul514
Whether it is time for NI to join the republic is down to them polling shows that it’s not a done deal this would happen in a referendum known as a border poll.

I’ve always been on the opinion either all of Ireland should be part of the uk or NI shouldn’t be part of the uk.

Now whether that means an independent NI or a unification with the south who knows.
The only acceptable way would for all of Ireland to come under the rightful ownership of us, I would rather die than see more of our rightful land be given up and I hope those in Northern Ireland would fight against it.
Ireland has never belonged to the UK/English. The unionist foreigners should go back to Scotland and England where they are originally from. I would fight to the death in a war before UK trys taking the freestate and I know many many Irishmen who would do the same. So no chance. Who do you think you are kidding Mr UK
Original post by AperfectBalance
The only acceptable way would for all of Ireland to come under the rightful ownership of us, I would rather die than see more of our rightful land be given up and I hope those in Northern Ireland would fight against it.
Original post by Jamesman1
All of Ireland part of UK lollolool. Not a chance. Irish don't want to be apart of UK and are extremely proud of there country and heritage and we will not be giving that away to any foreign Union.

Yes obviously hence an independent NI is the way to go....
What like Gibraltar? That won't make any difference.
Original post by paul514
Reply 52
Ireland has never belonged to the UK/English. The unionist foreigners should go back to Scotland and England where they are originally from. I would fight to the death in a war before UK trys taking the freestate and I know many many Irishmen who would do the same. So no chance. Who do you think you are kidding Mr UK

Ireland was an integral part of the United Kingdom from 1801 until 1922.

Calling people who have lived somewhere for hundreds of years "foreigners" makes you a racist.

You may have a right to your zany opinions. You do not have a right to your own facts.
Ireland was invaded by the English, the Irish have always fought them and finally got independence for most of there country and still the Irish would like to see a united Ireland. The unionist people in the north are not originally from Ireland but rather brought over as settlers from Scotland and England infact they will tell you so by the flags they fly on the lamposts in the areas they live in in the north. This is all fact.

The suggestion that Ireland "might as well" become apart of the UK because UK invaded them and still occupy the north is as zany as you could possibly get.
Original post by L i b
Ireland was an integral part of the United Kingdom from 1801 until 1922.

Calling people who have lived somewhere for hundreds of years "foreigners" makes you a racist.

You may have a right to your zany opinions. You do not have a right to your own facts.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's a strong case for it and it is now beginning to be overdue.

The case is non-sectarian and is separate from the traditional IRA/Sinn Fein demands and the case for it does not ignore the Protestant communities in both Ireland and Northern Ireland.

It's an economic case - it's unanswerable that they would be better off being together - and one based on human realities - it is one island and they have far more in common than things that separate them.

We live in the 21st century and age old disputes about religion and nationality should not be permitted to obscure what is clearly a good thing for all concerned.

Finally, it is time for the British and particularly the English establishment and upper classes to stop playing divide and rule games about the island of Ireland once and for all and instead to help them unite.

The EU is an issue, but another point is that Ireland (and a United Ireland) would be best served economically by tying in closely with the UK economy, but if that is not available, Northern Ireland would do much better in the EU as one country with Ireland than by shackling itself to a declining United Kingdom because a small tribe of archaic and extremely right wing DUP politicians want them to in order to continue to feather their own nests.

The DUP get a lot off votes here because people support them, they need to be careful just, but a United ireland would be awful for there economy, it’s not the way forward I can tell you that from a person that lives in northern Ireland, it will cause more hatred, most people want to remain in the Uk, by far
Ireland was invaded by the English, the Irish have always fought them and finally got independence for most of there country and still the Irish would like to see a united Ireland. The unionist people in the north are not originally from Ireland but rather brought over as settlers from Scotland and England infact they will tell you so by the flags they fly on the lamposts in the areas they live in in the north. This is all fact.

The suggestion that Ireland "might as well" become apart of the UK because UK invaded them and still occupy the north is as zany as you could possibly get.

Invaded? The celts were travelling the land in search of good land for there flocks, none was permanent, anyway the celts stole it from the stone men, so you get what you give. Most of the Northern Irish people want to remain in the UK. Final
Original post by paul514

But Northern Ireland want to remain in the UK, by far the majority of people latest poll shows 71% support for the union

Unionist Forigners.? Who do you think you are, uneducated I would say, unionists should not be jurdged by our ancestors, if you want to take that approach then the Irish should go back to Spain , the stone men use to be here, you get what you give
Original post by Calebemerson272
But Northern Ireland want to remain in the UK, by far the majority of people latest poll shows 71% support for the union

Then there is no issue of giving a border poll to put it to bed for a while
Original post by paul514
Then there is no issue of giving a border poll to put it to bed for a while

The issue is having people respect the poll result. Sinn fein and the ilk don't care for polls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending