?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For my English literature essay I want to include but don’t get what it is 100%
wiseoldlady
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a feminist term meaning the struggle for power between men and women, for example throughout history men used the patriarchy to keep women below them, and so there is a lot of competition.
TellMeWhy123232
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
(Original post by wiseoldlady)
It's a feminist term meaning the struggle for power between men and women, for example throughout history men used the patriarchy to keep women below them, and so there is a lot of competition.
What is the sexual aspect of it tho. Is there? Thanks
brimstone131
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Previous answer made the link

It revolves around the area that men traditionally viewed women as objects, inferior to them as tools for their own sexual desires to be fulfilled.

Late 60s and 70s saw a massive change in power dynamics. Note how men (such as shown in Mad Men) would sleep around, probably have 7 or 8 sexual partners throughout marriage, yet it was fine. Women dared to wander, divorce was set in motion immediately.

Summarised - sexual politics examines the power roles between the sexes, in a social, sexual, economic and rights perspective. Women have become more powerful and men have far less power over them than ever before. The female role and power in relationships with men has forever changed, both in the bedroom and the office.

(Original post by TellMeWhy123232)
What is the sexual aspect of it tho. Is there? Thanks
Last edited by brimstone131; 1 year ago
TellMeWhy123232
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
(Original post by brimstone131)
Previous answer made the link

It revolves around the area that men traditionally viewed women as objects, inferior to them as tools for their own sexual desires to be fulfilled.

Late 60s and 70s saw a massive change in power dynamics. Note how men (such as shown in Mad Men) would sleep around, probably have 7 or 8 sexual partners throughout marriage, yet it was fine. Women dared to wander, divorce was set in motion immediately.

Summarised - sexual politics examines the power roles between the sexes, in a social, sexual, economic and rights perspective. Women have become more powerful and men have far less power over them than ever before. The female role and power in relationships with men has forever changed, both in the bedroom and the office.
Amazing answer thanks,

In context of play I’m studying which is streetcar named desire written in 1947 I’m struggling to find specifically how sexual politics fits in in terms of that year and the gender roles I know it was patriarchal but it’s an odd time period as the feminist movements generally came after.
Last edited by TellMeWhy123232; 1 year ago
brimstone131
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have a look at this, maybe you already have - demonstrates the stereotypical American male role model in Stanley etc of possessive and controlling over his wife

https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Explo...ar-P3FAEEC8B6A

Search wider for gender roles, which lay the framework for sexual politics. The two are linked very closely.

‘Fight for authority with one hand, fight for equality with the other’

Hope this helps
(Original post by TellMeWhy123232)
Amazing answer thanks,

In context of play I’m studying which is streetcar named desire written in 1947 I’m struggling to find specifically how sexual politics fits in in terms of that year and the gender roles I know it was patriarchal but it’s an odd time period as the feminist movements generally came after.
ewarner2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there is also Kate Millets 'sexual politics' book well worth the read and can find online as a pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads