Can someone mark this English Lit essay about the theme of Nature in Frankenstein

Watch
bilalelkhouly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Shelley’s influenced Romantic beliefs are vividly exposed in her novel Frankenstein, through her depiction of nature’s healing power. This is first evident when Victor says, ‘These sublime and magnificent scenes afforded me the greatest consolation that I was capable of receiving’. The noun ‘consolation’ connotes comfort and sympathy, which suggests that Victor was in a horrific mental state as nothing provided him comfort except the power and elegance of nature. This is ironic as Victor says before that ‘Elizabeth alone had the power to draw me from these fits’ which undermines the importance of woman in their society. The phrase ‘sublime and magnificent scenes’ highlights Shelley’s use of significant descriptive language to convey her beliefs in nature to stand out. Shelley uses a hyperbole to exaggerate how Victor was able to be healed by nature. The modern reader would link Victor’s ‘consolation’ to Prometheus who was punished by having his liver eaten by an eagle every day. In ancient Greece, a liver was thought to be connected to emotions, so the metaphorical punishment here is the daily emotional torment Victor faces. Even though Victor is comforted by nature, he still criticises it when he says, ‘They elevated me from all littleness of feeling, and although they did not remove my grief, they subdued and tranquilized it’. The comforting verb ‘tranquillized’ connotes soothing and calming down, which highlights nature’s power as it is able to make Victor forget his misery. The metaphorical phrase ‘they elevated me’ connotes helping and aiding as nature is perhaps personified as a doctor who is helping Victor, however this is ironic as Victor himself is a doctor but cannot cure himself. The modern reader would begin to realise how he is criticising nature even though it cures him. This makes the contemporary reader enrage as they see Victor oppose nature even when it is helping him.

Shelley exposes Victor’s reaction to nature’s beauty to be significantly similar to his obsession with knowledge. This vividly exposes to the reader Shelley’s Romantic beliefs. Victor’s disbelief in nature’s beauty is exposed in the extract when he says, ‘The abrupt sides of vast mountains were before me; the icy wall of the glacier overhung me’. The adjective ‘abrupt’ connotes sudden and immediate, which highlights nature’s power as it is surprising, and fascinating compared to an ordinary man. The phrase ‘were before me’ is ambiguous as it could literally mean that the mountains were behind him or could mean that he views the power of nature to be inferior to him as he is in front of it. Shelley uses a metaphor to create a vivid image to the reader of nature’s beauty. The contemporary romantic reader would feel agitated as they see Victor’s mockery of nature’s power. Alternatively, the modern reader, further away from the Romantic movement, wouldn’t be as offended as the significance of nature has declined in the modern society. Victor continues to perhaps mock the power of nature when he says, ‘the solemn silence of this glorious presence - chamber of the imperial nature was broken only by the brawling waves’. The alliterative phrase ‘solemn silence’ highlights how Victor mocks nature as he mentions its ‘silence’ perhaps meaning its non-attendance which undermines its power. The adjective ‘imperial’ connotes royal and monarchical, which is ambiguous as it could be Victor appreciating nature’s power or could be him mocking it by saying its monarchical, and as Shelley was an atheist and kings were seen as God’s representatives on Earth, this could be a way Shelley criticises Christianity. The modern reader would begin to contextually link Victor to Prometheus who rebelled against God, when he gave human race fire. This is similar to how Victor is rebelling and mocking nature and its power through religious references.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
41.1%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.3%
Look for a job (3)
2.05%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.74%
Take a year out (18)
12.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed