Abortion in NI should be legalised? Watch

EmCharles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why do you think you have any rights over another person's body?
A potential for life isn't as valuable as an actual human life. Pregnancy is dangerous and could be traumatic.
You seem to forget that birth control fails. People may be actively planning against pregnancy, should they, too, "suffer the consequences"?
Sex is a bodily function we are driven to by biology....
Lagia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I disagree. This is not a hypothetical situation. There are hundreds if not thousands of people, who were adopted and are aware that they were adopted. Most people don't spend their lives thinking that their parents did not like them. I think you are creating an OTT case. I seriously doubt many people, who were adopted or living in an orphanage or whatever would have preferred to have been aborted.

Also, people who come to this world by parents who want them still develop mental health issues. I dont think this point is strong enough to support the case for abortion.
Yeah I agree its not
The reason I'm pro choice is because I believe that the life of the woman is more important than the life of a potential baby
Also sorry gsmyth for hijacking your thread.
gsmyth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by EmCharles)
A potential for life isn't as valuable as an actual human life. Pregnancy is dangerous and could be traumatic.
You seem to forget that birth control fails. People may be actively planning against pregnancy, should they, too, "suffer the consequences"?
Why do you all come back to this argument. You do not own the baby. It is in your body because of you.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lagia)
Yeah I agree its not
The reason I'm pro choice is because I believe that the life of the woman is more important than the life of a potential baby
Also sorry gsmyth for hijacking your thread.
The woman should think about her life before embarking on risky ventures.

I still don't understand why other people should be responsible for your issues. If you get pregnant, you should sort it yourself (you and the man).
gsmyth
Rep:
?
Abortion in NI is a very contentious issue.
EmCharles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gsmyth)
Why do you all come back to this argument. You do not own the baby. It is in your body because of you.
Yes, you do not own the clump of cells. You do however own your womb.
You have to give consent to be an organ donor, why is this any different?
gsmyth
Rep:
?
clump of cells
That is a baby, you do not get to kill it just because it matches your convenience, if you gave birth to that baby and stuck a knife through its chest you would be charged with first degree murder!
nemofoot
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes and failed birth control is a risk people need to accept when they get down to it. Why do you think you have any rights over the body of an unborn baby? And sex isn't a human right nor need, anyone can live without sex (I can vouch for that )
gsmyth
Rep:
?
At what point should you be able to kill this baby?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are the only person in this thread who has answered this question directly.
That's probably because a lot of people just forgot about the question and wanted to discuss their own stance on abortion, without relating it to NI.
When it comes to discussions of abortion/brexit/religion so many people develop tunnel vision and get fixated on a single factor or viewpoint.
EmCharles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That is a baby, you do not get to kill it just because it matches your convenience, if you gave birth to that baby and stuck a knife through its chest you would be charged with first degree murder!
Ah, this is where I agree, that would be murder! However 10-25% of pregnancies actually end in miscarriage or still birth. Should those mothers be charged with involuntary manslaughter?
Again, it's her body. If she doesn't consent to being a donor, she doesn't consent.
gsmyth
Rep:
?
Ah, this is where I agree, that would be murder! However 10-25% of pregnancies actually end in miscarriage or still birth. Should those mothers be charged with involuntary manslaughter?
Again, it's her body. If she doesn't consent to being a donor, she doesn't consent.
No because a miscarriage is a tragedy with evidence provided on why the baby died. An abortion is a completely different circumstance
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What??? Once you have sex, you consent to the consequence. Stop acting like you are ignorant. For a long time, people have treated women like they are stupid and unable to held accountable for their actions.

Once a man and a woman engage in sexual intercourse, they consent to the consequence of that encounter. That is how life works. If you dont consent to pregnancy, then dont have sex.
EmCharles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What??? Once you have sex, you consent to the consequence. Stop acting like you are ignorant. For a long time, people have treated women like they are stupid and unable to held accountable for their actions.

Once a man and a woman engage in sexual intercourse, they consent to the consequence of that encounter. That is how life works. If you dont consent to pregnancy, then dont have sex.
Then why do we have birth control and sex education? Shall we all go stop these if consenting to sex = consenting to pregnancy.
And abortion isn't an "easy option". It's a difficult emotional process that most don't take lightly. It's a last resort that women may choose for many valid reasons.
Women have fought for this right too. Stop acting like abortions will not continue if we ban them. We should be making them safe and humane, not shoving them into back alley surgeries.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is down to responsibility. We are not talking about rape, but if a woman is raped, i think she should give the child up for adoption and not kill it.
Usually abortion is down to personal responsibility- or rather lack of.
A lot of women also seem unable to understand that abortion is not a means of contraception and make a habit of "serial abortions" over a relatively short time.
But emergency lifesaving abortions are often an issue too.

"Lifestyle abortions" (requested for reasons of a woman's personal convenience) are estimated to constitute over 70% of legally performed UK abortions.
Probably a lot higher if the abortions undertaken due to foetal abnormality/disability were included within lifestyle.
But there are also other factors, such as double jeopardy emergency abortions to save the life of a pregnant woman who will die unless an abortion is carried out.
Fatal pregnancy medical scenarios like ectopic pregnancy or a very young pregnant child whose body is not developed enough to survive a full term pregnancy.
Also abortions related to saving the sanity and mental functionality of the pregnant woman; whether due to being pregnant as a victim of crimes like rape/incest, significant trauma arising from the prospect of carrying the pregnancy to term or a combination of the two.

OP isn't getting many replies focusing on answering his question about whether abortion in NI should be legalized.
Everyone's started commenting about other abortion related issues.
coco0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, many people die having unsafe abortions and it would be unfair to deny people the right to a medical procedure. It makes me angry that people are being denied the right to choose.
Abortion continues not to be allowed in NI. I personally believe that this is the right thing to do as the largest party is a Pro-Life party.

What are your thoughts in this?

Any input is appreciated!
flopsypopsy1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What's your stance on abortion relating to rape or a VERY young girl (under 13)
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by coco0)
Yes, many people die having unsafe abortions and it would be unfair to deny people the right to a medical procedure. It makes me angry that people are being denied the right to choose.
In the UK, people don't have the automatic legal right to receive the medical treatment/procedure that they want.
Having an abortion is not an automatic right, as in the legal right to silence or right of every arrested person to obtain free legal advice at the police station from a qualified lawyers specializing in criminal law.
All doctors have the option to refuse to approve the patient's request and NHS funding teams can deny the patient access to the public funding.
Regardless of whether the treatment relates to cancer treatment, cosmetic surgery, abortion or ivf.
blueamaraxx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m pro choice, think that making a woman have a child she doesn’t want then have to give it up to adoption because she doesn’t have the money to look after it is traumatic and unfair for both parties, especially since for some people condoms split etc.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
In practice, England has abortion on demand.

Free on the NHS for women/girls willing to provide their name, genuine contact information and occasionally proof of citizenship if sought.
Offered by private clinics for all females over 16 who prefer pay a fee in exchange for giving minimal information and bypassing the waiting list.
The reason for seeking abortion is rarely volunteered, sought or any discussions as to justifiability conducted.
Many doctors have informal agreements to countersign abortion paperwork already signed by particular colleagues.
Some blunder into legal grey area by signing blank abortion approval paperwork, where no patient name is entered and a second doctor is yet to sign.
I'm female and pro choice.
It needs to be discussed though so that you are understanding what is being undergone and your reasons why
You don't just turn up and say 'I want an abortion' and the doctor is like cool and lets it happen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (136)
22.82%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.1%

Watched Threads