The Student Room Group

Abortion in NI should be legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
I am a man and I part of the debate. The responsibility lies with both of them.

Yes, women should really think hard before engaging in sex. It is their body, so they should be really prepared for the consequence. Not shout that they are being discriminated against for being women.

What I find absurd is how we engage in today’s world. Most young women would vehemently oppose any interference in their lives or bodies. However, they don't seem to mind others (esp men) to pay for their mistakes. Yet, we hear “men are trash” or “toxic masculinity”.

One thing that is interesting is that some men, I think, take advantage of some women and the gullibility. Some of us play along with their “feminism” and “women’s rights”, but then let them to really suffer the consequence. Most pro-choice supporters don't really care about women. They are not there, when the woman has to introduce chemicals or other materials to end a life in her body. If the woman develops some issues, those same men would find a younger and fitter woman to have children with, while the other woman would have invaded her body. All in the name of “women’s rights”.

I think women need to really wake up and catch the bait. The greatest thing a woman can do for herself is to take responsibility and be actually accountable for her life. That is what I think real feminism is.

You make fair points. However, rather than use the word "they" inferring all, perhaps you should consider saying "some". Most women are fabulous. Some in our eyes, less so. But we are all humans, with different views and experiences of the world around us. They are not all the same. Nor are we.
Original post by ByEeek
You make fair points. However, rather than use the word "they" inferring all, perhaps you should consider saying "some". Most women are fabulous. Some in our eyes, less so. But we are all humans, with different views and experiences of the world around us. They are not all the same. Nor are we.

Yes, I agree and I know I should not make sweeping generalisations. The use of the word “they” is really poor.

I had to write about women in a group-like manner because there seems to be misconceptions spread about abortions and their effects. Many people support abortions but have no clue when you go into the actual detail about what happens. We dont even discuss the aftermath whether psychological or whatever.

I heard a sad story that nearly led to a woman’s suicide. A friend told me about Sophie [not her real name] who met Dan. They met at uni and were together for 8 years. During that time, Sophie had 3 abortions because Dan was not ready to settle down. From what I was told, Dan at 29 then meets another much younger woman and breaks up with Sophie. This breakup drove Sophie crazy, that she nearly ended her life. Now, Dan is with a younger and possibly healthier female, while he has made Sophie go through such procedures. Now, I agree it is a woman’s decision. But I am not sure women actually talk about the aftermath.

Like I said, some women need to step up and take control of their lives. As a man, it is not really my business, but i think women having agency over their lives will do a lot for society.
I heard a sad story that nearly led to a woman’s suicide. A friend told me about Sophie [not her real name] who met Dan. They met at uni and were together for 8 years. During that time, Sophie had 3 abortions because Dan was not ready to settle down. From what I was told, Dan at 29 then meets another much younger woman and breaks up with Sophie. This breakup drove Sophie crazy, that she nearly ended her life. Now, Dan is with a younger and possibly healthier female, while he has made Sophie go through such procedures. Now, I agree it is a woman’s decision. But I am not sure women actually talk about the aftermath.

But again, you are cherry picking. I live on the same road as an abortion clinic and every day hundreds of people come and go. Some no doubt have abortions. And I am sure they are fine. And some won't be fine. And occasionally someone will commit suicide... just like people in society as a whole.

I still say that if you are to dictate your morals onto people you should bare responsibility for those unfortunate to make a mistake and fall foul of your morals.
Original post by ByEeek
But again, you are cherry picking. I live on the same road as an abortion clinic and every day hundreds of people come and go. Some no doubt have abortions. And I am sure they are fine. And some won't be fine. And occasionally someone will commit suicide... just like people in society as a whole.

I still say that if you are to dictate your morals onto people you should bare responsibility for those unfortunate to make a mistake and fall foul of your morals.

Yes, that is a good point. However, if we are as free as we claim that we are, then people who choose not to participate in something should not be forced to pay for it through their taxes. That is why I stated that women, who have made the decision to kill their unborn child should pay for the procedure.
Yes, that is a good point. However, if we are as free as we claim that we are, then people who choose not to participate in something should not be forced to pay for it through their taxes. That is why I stated that women, who have made the decision to kill their unborn child should pay for the procedure.

That's fine. So foes that mean we can choose not to pay for cancer treatments or heart disease patients? Or mental health services, or police services in areas of the country that we don't live in? Or education? Or all the other things we don't use but which make for a civilised society?

In the grand scheme of things, abortion costs nothing. I imagine the queen or the PMs protection costs more.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek

And all you are going to do is force those who can pay to travel for an abortion and those who can't to book an appointment with knitting needles before being admitted to hospital to be stitched back together. Where is the compassion or fibancial sense in that?
Original post by ByEeek
That's fine. So foes that mean we can choose not to pay for cancer treatments or heart disease patients? Or mental health services, or police services in areas of the country that we don't live in? Or education? Or all the other things we don't use but which make for a civilised society?

In the grand scheme of things, abortion costs nothing. I imagine the queen or the PMs protection costs more.

I wrote that there are some treatments that should not be covered by the NHS. For example, if an idiot has smoked for 40 years and develops a lung condition, why should we pay for it, when we have worked hard to live a clean life. I also don't think drunks who are rushed to A&E should be treated for free.

The central message is the best form of contraception is abstinence. If you chose not to, then you cover your costs.

Don't get me started on the Royal Family. Yes, the Royal Family is a good money generator but we can do well in reforming it to make it work for us.

Original post by ByEeek
And all you are going to do is force those who can pay to travel for an abortion and those who can't to book an appointment with knitting needles before being admitted to hospital to be stitched back together. Where is the compassion or fibancial sense in that?

If abortions did not exist, how will women resolve their pregnancy dilemmas? If they choose to go to a quack or a backstreet clinic, then it is their choice.

The central message is the best form of contraception is abstinence.

So the only time you will have sex in your life is when you and your partner choose to have kids? How odd.

The "just say no" method btw has been proven to be one of the least effective birth control methods. Isn't that why man wrote a story about Adam and Eve?
Original post by ByEeek
So the only time you will have sex in your life is when you and your partner choose to have kids? How odd.

The "just say no" method btw has been proven to be one of the least effective birth control methods. Isn't that why man wrote a story about Adam and Eve?

No, there are contraception and better planning.
I believe in quality of life above all and so find myself clearly pro-choice. I believe in the legalisation of euthanasia because I think people have a right to death as well as life and I also think mothers-to-be should have the choice of terminating their pregnancy. Despite concerns over ageing populations we do not have a low birth rate crisis (in fact we are overpopulated) so maximising the number of children born is not really a concern. Besides issues of rape, even those who make mistakes should not have to then raise a child which could comprimise their futures as well as bringing someone into the world who, right from the start feels unloved. I don't think you can ever force someone into that kind of commitment.
No, there are contraception and better planning.

Hang on a sec - that isn't abstaining. You seem to have changed your argument.

But what for those people in the 2% who use contraception that is 98% reliable e.g. condoms? They have done all the right things by your standards. They have planned to use condoms, used them correctly and still get pregnant. What do they do in your world?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Hang on a sec - that isn't abstaining. You seem to have changed your argument.

But what for those people in the 2% who use contraception that is 98% reliable e.g. condoms? They have done all the right things by your standards. They have planned to use condoms, used them correctly and still get pregnant. What do they do in your world?

No, I am not. I was saying that there are also contraception and planning for those who dont want to abstain.

To your second point, they keep the child or pay to kill it.
No, I am not. I was saying that there are also contraception and planning for those who dont want to abstain.

That's the kind of overly emotive statement that all pro life loons make, what is it about the decision that women make about their lives, most of whom agonise over, you feel gives you the right to judge them.
It is solely their decision to make and they don't need some self righteous, sanctimonious ******** spouting that kind of crap at them.
You think one thing, most people disagree with you, get over it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ColinDent
That's the kind of overly emotive statement that all pro life loons make, what is it about the decision that women make about their lives, most of whom agonise over, you feel gives you the right to judge them.
It is solely their decision to make and they don't need some self righteous, sanctimonious ******** spouting that kind of crap at them.
You think one thing, most people disagree with you, get over it.

I don't wish to control women’s bodies. I only don't wish to participate in their lifestyles. You have called me many names for my view, but I wont insult you.

As I have said on this thread and other similar threads, it is none of my business what women do with their lives. If they choose to drink, smoke and do drugs whilst pregnant, that is their decision. If they wish to kill an unwanted child (or “non-human, as pro-choicers love to call it), it is also their business.

What is my business is my participating in their lifestyle. If a woman decides to have an abortion. Fine, but she should pay for it. It is not rocket science.

I have read some silly arguments on this thread. One stated that abortion is a type of contraception for some women. Really?!!! Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, while abortion is used to kill the child that is already here.

Life is simple, yet we try to complicate it.
I don't wish to control women’s bodies. I only don't wish to participate in their lifestyles. You have called me many names for my view, but I wont insult you.

As I have said on this thread and other similar threads, it is none of my business what women do with their lives. If they choose to drink, smoke and do drugs whilst pregnant, that is their decision. If they wish to kill an unwanted child (or “non-human, as pro-choicers love to call it), it is also their business.

What is my business is my participating in their lifestyle. If a woman decides to have an abortion. Fine, but she should pay for it. It is not rocket science.

I have read some silly arguments on this thread. One stated that abortion is a type of contraception for some women. Really?!!! Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, while abortion is used to kill the child that is already here.

Life is simple, yet we try to complicate it.

You can't choose what you do and don't pay for out of taxes collected from you, also can't proclaim what is and isn't worthy of being an NHS treatment based on your beliefs.
In your eyes it's better for a woman that is not the most affluent to be forced to go to some backstreet quack and risk medical complications. probably then costing the NHS way more than a safe abortion in a hospital would.
Do you even appreciate the kind of shysters that used to be around when this sort of thing was more commonplace, and can you not see that in today's even more financially corrupt society this kind of thing would almost certainly be even more dangerous.
Oh and I didn't call you any names directly, I used the terms loons and self righteous,which sanctimonious ********s both of which are plural, meaning I was addressing a group of people, if you categorise yourself in those groups and therefore take offence then so be it.
Original post by ColinDent
You can't choose what you do and don't pay for out of taxes collected from you, also can't proclaim what is and isn't worthy of being an NHS treatment based on your beliefs.
In your eyes it's better for a woman that is not the most affluent to be forced to go to some backstreet quack and risk medical complications. probably then costing the NHS way more than a safe abortion in a hospital would.
Do you even appreciate the kind of shysters that used to be around when this sort of thing was more commonplace, and can you not see that in today's even more financially corrupt society this kind of thing would almost certainly be even more dangerous.
Oh and I didn't call you any names directly, I used the terms loons and self righteous,which sanctimonious ********s both of which are plural, meaning I was addressing a group of people, if you categorise yourself in those groups and therefore take offence then so be it.

Ok, sure. That is fine. I don't want to stress my position any longer. You know where I stand.
No, it should only be legal if the mother has a good chance of dying without one.
Original post by Student-95
No, it should only be legal if the mother has a good chance of dying without one.

You're missing the point, make it illegal and it will drive women into the hands of extremely unscrupulous backstreet abortion clinics, then you really will see many women's lives put at risk.

Wowzers. So poor people will be forced to raise a child they can't afford to raise whilst richer people have a choice. And you come from a position of compassion?
Original post by ByEeek
Wowzers. So poor people will be forced to raise a child they can't afford to raise whilst richer people have a choice. And you come from a position of compassion?

I come from a position of common sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending