Pro-Life or Pro-Choice? Watch

Glaz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am most definitely pro-choice because no one can make a decision as to what a woman can and cannot carry inside her body. I think that if a woman wants to keep the baby, she should be allowed to, and if she does not, she should not be forced to keep the baby.

I read this article and I think it's horrible that there are cases such as this, which girls as young as eleven (11) are forced to remain pregnant because they are not allowed to have abortions.

Personally, I think that even in non-extreme conditions, for example if the mother simply does not wish to have a child anymore, abortion should be legal, as it is her decision and I think that no one should have the right to be able to tell her that she should keep the baby.

What do you guys think?
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do we really need this thread every other week? :yawn:
Glaz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Decahedron)
Do we really need this thread every other week? :yawn:
oh yeet i haven't seen these kinda threads before
*scrolls down to related discussions*
oh
:getmecoat:
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Glaz)
oh yeet i haven't seen these kinda threads before
*scrolls down to related discussions*
oh
:getmecoat:
Don't worry about it
Kim~Shawn Mendes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
im pro choice, i agree with ya
(Original post by Glaz)
I am most definitely pro-choice because no one can make a decision as to what a woman can and cannot carry inside her body. I think that if a woman wants to keep the baby, she should be allowed to, and if she does not, she should not be forced to keep the baby.

I read this article and I think it's horrible that there are cases such as this, which girls as young as eleven (11) are forced to remain pregnant because they are not allowed to have abortions.

Personally, I think that even in non-extreme conditions, for example if the mother simply does not wish to have a child anymore, abortion should be legal, as it is her decision and I think that no one should have the right to be able to tell her that she should keep the baby.

What do you guys think?
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pro-choice.
Nour M.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean, I find that calling abortion a "right" to justify the act of killing a human being deeply wrong. Just because the baby is powerless and vulnerable, it doesn't mean their right to live is less important than your right for convenience. I agree that abortion can be resorted to only in extreme cases like rape but anything more than that is unacceptable. Most cases of abortion are actually a result of women not "being ready" to have a child or accidental pregnancies. If you're not ready for a child, then don't get pregnant in the first place. Take the pill, have protected sex or just stay abstinent until marriage. That simple.

Spoiler:
Show
This may help clarify.
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pro choice always.
Glaz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nour M.)
I mean, I find that calling abortion a "right" to justify the act of killing a human being deeply wrong. Just because the baby is powerless and vulnerable, it doesn't mean their right to live is less important than your right for convenience. I agree that abortion can be resorted to only in extreme cases like rape but anything more than that is unacceptable. Most cases of abortion are actually a result of women not "being ready" to have a child or accidental pregnancies. If you're not ready for a child, then don't get pregnant in the first place. Take the pill, have protected sex or just stay abstinent until marriage. That simple.

Spoiler:
Show
This may help clarify.
Where would you draw the line for "extreme cases"?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have no truck with abortion.
Nour M.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would consider a case where if the pregnancy could be fatal to the mother physically and put her life at jeopardy, then abortion may be the only solution. Rape is another one, pretty self-explanatory. Other than that, I don't see anything to justify the "right" to commit murder.
(Original post by Glaz)
Where would you draw the line for "extreme cases"?
Glaz
Rep:
?
I would consider a case where if the pregnancy could be fatal to the mother physically and put her life at jeopardy, then abortion may be the only solution. Rape is another one, pretty self-explanatory. Other than that, I don't see anything to justify the "right" to commit murder.
Fair enough. I personally disagree with you, but I do understand your explanation and I do respect it.
GlowInTheDark
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm on the fence. Abortion should be legal in the case of rape, or if there is going to be a medical issue for the baby and/or mother, and I can understand financial reasons, however for that I disagree as you can put up the child for adoption, as any life is better than no life at all.

However, I do not believe more than 1 (unless from rape/medical reasons) abortion should be paid for by the NHS. If you are still in financial restriction, then why do you keep having sex when you understand the risks of pregnancy, condoms are extremely easy to get and often free, so getting pregnant is your choice, and abortion should not be your first plan, it should be a last resort.

Furthermore, I do not see why any woman should be proud of getting an abortion, you causing the end of a possible life isn't a positive thing, and anyone who brags about having an abortion is morally corrupted.

Abortion should be a restricted right, up until around 12-16 weeks I would say for reasons other than medical, with abortions for medical reasons having no time limit.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Pro-choice.

For me, the arguments regarding personal bodily autonomy and consent triumph over the arguments that abortion is murdering babies (which it isn't, but benefit of the doubt and all).
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I've always found the notion of pro-lifers to be rather queer. I mean a bundle of cells is hardly alive now is it? You pull a fetus out at say 20 weeks it will not be alive now will it.
Nour M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
There's no doubt that it's alive, just like any cell in your body, denying that means denying basic biology. Even though it's still a bundle of cells at the start and may not look "human" yet, that shouldn't overshadow the fact that it has the potential to grow into a fully formed baby with high complexity. For example, let's say you have a person in a comma. At that point, they are brain dead and will not regain previous memories if they have awoken but you know, for a fact, that in exactly 9 months they'll be conscious and well. Does that give you the right to pull the plug off a person who is comatose?
(Original post by Napp)
I've always found the notion of pro-lifers to be rather queer. I mean a bundle of cells is hardly alive now is it? You pull a fetus out at say 20 weeks it will not be alive now will it.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
There's no doubt that it's alive, just like any cell in your body, denying that means denying basic biology. Even though it's still a bundle of cells at the start and may not look "human" yet, that shouldn't overshadow the fact that it has the potential to grow into a fully formed baby with high complexity. For example, let's say you have a person in a comma. At that point, they are brain dead and will not regain previous memories if they have awoken but you know, for a fact, that in exactly 9 months they'll be conscious and well. Does that give you the right to pull the plug off a person who is comatose?
Actually people who are brain-stem dead have no chance. They are legally dead and will not be able to function without artifical life support.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So you admit that a fetus is no more alive than a skin cell?
So what if it has the potential? A sperm has the potential to go into forming a baby...
A person in a coma isnt brain you twit. A vegetative state maybe but a coma means no such thing. and that is completely ignoring the ridiculous comparison you attempted to make any way.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Also, after a while with the whole "it's a potential life" stuff, you get those nutters who want to ban men from masturbating because it's a sperm and it's a potential life.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Also, after a while with the whole "it's a potential life" stuff, you get those nutters who want to ban men from masturbating because it's a sperm and it's a potential life.
Just imagine the counter protest if someone tried to put that to parliament though. It would be a touch messy...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (119)
22.16%
The paper was reasonable (240)
44.69%
Not feeling great about that exam... (94)
17.5%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
15.64%

Watched Threads