Swapping Choices? Watch

ClockworkPaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! I ended up choosing Hertfordshire as my firm choice for 2D Animation and Portsmouth as my insurance, but the more I think about it, the less certain I am that this was the right choice for me.

Hertfordshire produces INCREDIBLE work (exactly the sort of stuff I want to make!) but due to health issues I fear the course will be too intense + I'm looking to spend some time having fun at university and the area really isn't for me...

I read I have 14 days after making the decision to swap my choices and BU emailed me saying I could phone UCAS and accept their offer instead (not just swap firm and insurance) so with 3 days left of this two weeks, I'm struggling to settle on a new decision.

I feel extremely pressured to go to Portsmouth. My family thinks I'll be happy there, the course lets me do 2D and 3D and the tutors/area are nice.

My heart lies in Bournemouth as a location however, but BU only allows me to study 3D animation, and AUB only allows me to study 2D animation...

Any advice? I know the decision is mine and only I can make it, but I've been struggling to decide for months and it hasn't gotten any easier.

Any AUB, BU or Portsmouth students input would be helpful too, thanks!
BU Students
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, whilst I'm really happy to hear your heart lies with Bournemouth, I'm sorry you're feeling torn on where to study.

Have you considered what career you want to do after uni? Are there any postgraduate courses you could look into to help you gain the 2D/3D qualifications?

If Portsmouth allows you to study both 2D and 3D is this more important to you than any other factor? Why does your heart pull you towards Bournemouth?

If you have any questions about BU please feel free to ask. I find writing a list of pro's and con's are often useful when I'm torn, I hope you're able to figure out which option will make you happiest.

Best of luck.

Vicki
(Original post by ClockworkPaws)
Hi! I ended up choosing Hertfordshire as my firm choice for 2D Animation and Portsmouth as my insurance, but the more I think about it, the less certain I am that this was the right choice for me.

Hertfordshire produces INCREDIBLE work (exactly the sort of stuff I want to make!) but due to health issues I fear the course will be too intense + I'm looking to spend some time having fun at university and the area really isn't for me...

I read I have 14 days after making the decision to swap my choices and BU emailed me saying I could phone UCAS and accept their offer instead (not just swap firm and insurance) so with 3 days left of this two weeks, I'm struggling to settle on a new decision.

I feel extremely pressured to go to Portsmouth. My family thinks I'll be happy there, the course lets me do 2D and 3D and the tutors/area are nice.

My heart lies in Bournemouth as a location however, but BU only allows me to study 3D animation, and AUB only allows me to study 2D animation...

Any advice? I know the decision is mine and only I can make it, but I've been struggling to decide for months and it hasn't gotten any easier.

Any AUB, BU or Portsmouth students input would be helpful too, thanks!
ClockworkPaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by BU Students)
Hi, whilst I'm really happy to hear your heart lies with Bournemouth, I'm sorry you're feeling torn on where to study.

Have you considered what career you want to do after uni? Are there any postgraduate courses you could look into to help you gain the 2D/3D qualifications?

If Portsmouth allows you to study both 2D and 3D is this more important to you than any other factor? Why does your heart pull you towards Bournemouth?

If you have any questions about BU please feel free to ask. I find writing a list of pro's and con's are often useful when I'm torn, I hope you're able to figure out which option will make you happiest.

Best of luck.

Vicki
Hi, thanks for getting back to me :^)

I'm hoping to get a career in an animation studio either in character design or perhaps 3D modelling/animating so being able to do both 2D and 3D is quite important for me. I did accept a place at Hertfordshire which allows me to do both and is an AMAZING course however the workload and dull/isolated location would be too much strain on my health (I only finished chemotherapy last year).

Portsmouth's course seems appealing purely because the course tutors see you as an individual and they do both 2D and 3D, however they are not skillset or CILECT accredited and I've heard they don't have many guest lectures from industry/any trips to things like film festivals or animation studios whereas I think Arts University Bournemouth do. Portsmouth as a city is nice but not my favourite.

My heart draws me to Bournemouth purely because I love the town; it's my ideal university location with everything from clubs to cosy cafes, cheap brand name shops and the beach is a great place for me to sit and draw! But I'm not sure if that's worth sacrificing learning 3D for.

Ultimately, it's location and reputation VS a more well-rounded course and better tutor support.
There is, of course, always the option of self-teaching 3D as I plan to do alongside my studies either way but it might be harder in AUB's course.
BU Students
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
Thanks for getting back to us and I totally agree with you - your health should be a priority and I hope you are feeling better now.
Do you think that the area of Hetfordshire or Portsmouth could grow on you and that you would eventually like it? Of course I want to say come to BU because I'm a student there and love it but I want you to be happy with your decision. If you tried to self teach 3D as well as doing your course, would that be too much strain on you? Have you thought about studying 2D and then getting some experience working with 3D alongside that? Or doing a masters in 3D after?
I would do a little more research into each of the areas, maybe contact some lecturers as well - here is the phone number for the animation department at AUB: 01202 363228, they may be able to give you some more advice.
I always say trust your gut instinct but support it with research.
Hope that helps,
Alice
(Original post by ClockworkPaws)
Hi, thanks for getting back to me :^)

I'm hoping to get a career in an animation studio either in character design or perhaps 3D modelling/animating so being able to do both 2D and 3D is quite important for me. I did accept a place at Hertfordshire which allows me to do both and is an AMAZING course however the workload and dull/isolated location would be too much strain on my health (I only finished chemotherapy last year).

Portsmouth's course seems appealing purely because the course tutors see you as an individual and they do both 2D and 3D, however they are not skillset or CILECT accredited and I've heard they don't have many guest lectures from industry/any trips to things like film festivals or animation studios whereas I think Arts University Bournemouth do. Portsmouth as a city is nice but not my favourite.

My heart draws me to Bournemouth purely because I love the town; it's my ideal university location with everything from clubs to cosy cafes, cheap brand name shops and the beach is a great place for me to sit and draw! But I'm not sure if that's worth sacrificing learning 3D for.

Ultimately, it's location and reputation VS a more well-rounded course and better tutor support.
There is, of course, always the option of self-teaching 3D as I plan to do alongside my studies either way but it might be harder in AUB's course.
BU Students
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I'm another ambassador at BU who's in final year on the CATA animation course. I'm not sure if this will make your decision easier or harder but perhaps it'll provide some clarity.

On the animation courses at BU we are only taught the animation pipeline for 3D, but some aspects including the character and environment design, cinematography, lighting design, colour theory and storyboarding all have transferable skills to 2D animation. We are allowed to do 2D work for our assignments, but it will be necessary to include some 3D aspect to the work to show you have understood what has been taught. In the past this has lead to some rather cool mixed media work. Here are some examples of these:

Pop
Hand Wash, Line Dry
Lucent

Something else to consider is that the courses here are very intense. Granted, first year isn't as intense and may ease you in, but overall the pressure would be quite high. As the others have said, health should be a priority. The support services at Bournemouth are very thorough so there are a lot of different ways they can help to take the stress off. That being said, a walk through the gardens to the beach is my favourite de-stress technique

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask!

- Laura
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
16.42%
The paper was reasonable (131)
48.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
22.39%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
12.31%

Watched Threads