Elanessea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone!

I am debating on doing an MRes in plant molecular biology and genetics. I am interested in pharmacology too and anything to do with protein-protein interactions, receptors, signal cascades, and genetics (as a whole). I have been given an amazing opportunity to do this course though, compared to other courses, plus being awarded a scholarship (making it affordable for me at this point in time) and having a supervisor who understands and pushes me. That said, although I thoroughly enjoy the underlying science that will be involved in the project, I believe that my chief interests along with genetics are biochemistry and pharmacology (within humans especially).

Although I enjoy research, I can see myself working in industry. I am not picky as to what I do in the future as I have varied interests, but I do see myself working with humans more so than plants (although that could change - but I would like to keep my options open or learn skills that could be useful in a variety of fields, if possible). Therefore, I was wondering if (from your experience or from what you have seen) lab skills can be transferable between fields, meaning that you can switch fields after your postgraduate degree if you work hard enough, or are employers very focused on the topic a graduate pursued? I will be continue developing a variety of skills including RNA and DNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, qPCR, Western blotting, studying protein-protein interactions, and bioinformatics (primer design, sequencing, genome annotation, gene phylogenies, etc). I have been looking around for answers (job searches and speaking to different individuals) but it seems requirements vary drastically from job to job so I have been unable to come to any sort of general consensus.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would suggest you seek out tutors in the fields you are considering for the future and ask their opinion.I know my son has gone from MRes on ant data modelling onto Conservation Innovation for PhD and a colleague has gone from ants to marine biology so there is a fair bit of movement in biological science but I wouldn't know specifically in your situation.
(Original post by Elanessea)
Hey everyone!

I am debating on doing an MRes in plant molecular biology and genetics. I am interested in pharmacology too and anything to do with protein-protein interactions, receptors, signal cascades, and genetics (as a whole). I have been given an amazing opportunity to do this course though, compared to other courses, plus being awarded a scholarship (making it affordable for me at this point in time) and having a supervisor who understands and pushes me. That said, although I thoroughly enjoy the underlying science that will be involved in the project, I believe that my chief interests along with genetics are biochemistry and pharmacology (within humans especially).

Although I enjoy research, I can see myself working in industry. I am not picky as to what I do in the future as I have varied interests, but I do see myself working with humans more so than plants (although that could change - but I would like to keep my options open or learn skills that could be useful in a variety of fields, if possible). Therefore, I was wondering if (from your experience or from what you have seen) lab skills can be transferable between fields, meaning that you can switch fields after your postgraduate degree if you work hard enough, or are employers very focused on the topic a graduate pursued? I will be continue developing a variety of skills including RNA and DNA extraction, cDNA synthesis, qPCR, Western blotting, studying protein-protein interactions, and bioinformatics (primer design, sequencing, genome annotation, gene phylogenies, etc). I have been looking around for answers (job searches and speaking to different individuals) but it seems requirements vary drastically from job to job so I have been unable to come to any sort of general consensus.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Elanessea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for your response! I have asked a few academics at my university and they were not sure, but I have recently consulted with individuals in a few different fields and am waiting for their responses. Thank you and how cool that your son and college were able to move quite a bit in biological science!
(Original post by Scotney)
I would suggest you seek out tutors in the fields you are considering for the future and ask their opinion.I know my son has gone from MRes on ant data modelling onto Conservation Innovation for PhD and a colleague has gone from ants to marine biology so there is a fair bit of movement in biological science but I wouldn't know specifically in your situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads