Tanya.Mary
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m starting University September 2019 and I have applied for a Biological Sciences course. However recently I have discovered Biomedical Engineering and I feel that this is something I would prefer to study.

I am predicted grades: A, B, C
My subjects are: Biology, Psychology and Politics

I called the University admissions and they stated that it would be relatively easy for me to change from one to the other. And explained that I need a B in Biology. But on the website it states I need A level Maths at a C🤕If anyone has any advice I’d be very happy to hear from you💕
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tanya.Mary)
I’m starting University September 2019 and I have applied for a Biological Sciences course. However recently I have discovered Biomedical Engineering and I feel that this is something I would prefer to study.

I called the University admissions and they stated that it would be relatively easy for me to change from one to the other. And explained that I need a B in Biology. But on the website it states I need A level Maths at a C🤕If anyone has any advice I’d be very happy to hear from you💕
For engineering you'd usually need maths to A-level or equivalent - engineering degrees are quite maths heavy so you need to be comfortable working with mathematical concepts like you'd cover during A-levels. It may be the case that the university you have applied to is an exception, though. If you want to switch and they are going to let you in without maths, I would take it.
Tanya.Mary
Rep:
?
Oh okay. Thank you x

I think it might be smarter then to try for a foundation course. I’m okay with Maths but not to an A level standard

(Original post by Smack)
For engineering you'd usually need maths to A-level or equivalent - engineering degrees are quite maths heavy so you need to be comfortable working with mathematical concepts like you'd cover during A-levels. It may be the case that the university you have applied to is an exception, though. If you want to switch and they are going to let you in without maths, I would take it.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Oh okay. Thank you x

I think it might be smarter then to try for a foundation course. I’m okay with Maths but not to an A level standard
If you can get in without A-level maths I wouldn't do a foundation year.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Foundation course, is probably a good idea, physics & maths are kind of the building blocks of engineering.

Biomedical Engineering whilst it might be a little bit different to mechanical, i imagine the foundations will be similar and Im guessing modules around design, materials, solid mechanics will still be in a Bio-engineering degree.
Tanya.Mary
Rep:
?
That’s true. I’ll hopefully not have to go through clearing to get a foundation course. But thank you💕
Ali.maxwell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ya I'm doing a foundation year for biomedical engineering and I'd definitely recommend it. Personally it helped me a lot especially because I haven't done a level physics and I really would've struggle if I just went into first year. Also it teaches a level maths which will help u a lot as u haven't done it. I remember being slightly nervous about doing a foundation year as well aside from physics and maths u learn a lot about uni life and expectations interms of exams and assignments things like Harvard reference ur first year will b a cruise. Feel free to ask if u have any questions
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by amal99)
Ya I'm doing a foundation year for biomedical engineering and I'd definitely recommend it. Personally it helped me a lot especially because I haven't done a level physics and I really would've struggle if I just went into first year. Also it teaches a level maths which will help u a lot as u haven't done it. I remember being slightly nervous about doing a foundation year as well aside from physics and maths u learn a lot about uni life and expectations interms of exams and assignments things like Harvard reference ur first year will b a cruise. Feel free to ask if u have any questions
good ol harvard referencing, i've always preferred IEEE or Vancouver i think it looks much sharper in reports, top tip use bibTex for referencing takes a little bit of time to get your head around and you have use latex as a document compiler but it makes reports & references looks perfect.
Lperry2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I've firmed to study Bioengineering at Sheffield (with a foundation year) ABB - which you only need one science subject for. Give them a call and see what they say, Loughborough also offers foundation years, I got an offer for BBB - which is definitely within your reach
I'm taking Biology, physics and geography and the foundation year at Sheffield covers maths, physics and a little chemistry I think. Foundation year sounds like a good option for you due to lack of maths, as it was for me.

Lperry2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What uni are you at? I'm starting my foundation year in September at Sheffield (hopefully) for bioengineering
(Original post by amal99)
Ali.maxwell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
City university just had my last exam today. I thoroughly enjoyed it. When I was starting I was kinda nervous about what pppl would think of me doing a foundation year but I found that none real cares
(Original post by Lperry2001)
What uni are you at? I'm starting my foundation year in September at Sheffield (hopefully) for bioengineering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.87%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.73%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.74%
It might lead to more bullying (82)
35.19%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.47%

Watched Threads