Failed Maths Module First Year Econ Masters Application Watch

lse98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Dear all,

I'm a third year studying PPE (4-year course) at the LSE. My grades are generally good and I'm on track to get a first overall. I'm looking into applying for a master in Economics at Oxbridge & LSE next year. However, I've failed my Maths module in first year (only pure Maths module of my degree) and had to retake it. I failed it with 53 (25% of grade) and 30 in the original exams, and got a 71 when I retook the second exam. So as the overall result is capped, I have a 40 in the course. How badly will this impact my application?
Last edited by lse98; 1 week ago
threeportdrift
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lse98)
Dear all,

I'm a third year studying PPE (4-year course) at the LSE. My grades are generally good and I'm on track to get a first overall. I'm looking into applying for a master in Economics at Oxbridge & LSE next year. However, I've failed my Maths module in first year (only pure Maths module of my degree) and had to retake it. I failed it with 53 (25% of grade) and 30 in the original exams, and got a 71 when I retook the second exam. So as the overall result is capped, I have a 40 in the course. How badly will this impact my application?
Probably not at all, so long as there is evidence of more recent, decent maths grades
lse98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Probably not at all, so long as there is evidence of more recent, decent maths grades
So the degree doesn't have any other pure Maths modules. I had Stats in second year (1:1) and am taking the more difficult out of two econometrics courses this year. That's what worries me a bit. This is the only 'MA' module on my transcript.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (88)
16.79%
The paper was reasonable (257)
49.05%
Not feeling great about that exam... (122)
23.28%
It was TERRIBLE (57)
10.88%

Watched Threads