Urgent economics help Watch

PurpleHaze69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Why is holding less cash an example of a shoe leather cost?
beachpanda
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
'Shoe leather costs' is a really old term. It describes the wear and tear on shoes incurred from having to keep walking to the bank (maybe miles away in the next town) every time prices went up due to inflation. You'd have to keep paying the cost of repairing the leather on your shoes.

Why? Because if you held onto physical cash (or keep money in a current account nowadays) your money would effectively depreciate in value due to the increase in the price of goods. So instead of holding onto your weekly pay in cash you'd earned from your job at the mill, you'd want to go to the bank and keep the money in a savings account with interest. At least in a savings account your money is earning interest and isn't depreciating as much. If interest rates are high, the value of your savings may even gain value relative to inflation. So 'shoe leather costs' explain the likelihood of people holding onto less cash (and ultimately consuming less, decreasing AD in the economy) due to inflation. The higher or less stable inflation is, the more 'shoe leather costs' incurred as you'll keep having to run to the bank (or opening your banking app and transferring more money into your savings).

Hope this helps!

(Original post by PurpleHaze69)
Why is holding less cash an example of a shoe leather cost?
Last edited by beachpanda; 1 week ago
PurpleHaze69
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you so much that was a great explanation. Do you mind me asking if your are AS OR A2 and what exam board do you do?
beachpanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're welcome! It took me a while to work that one out too.

I'm A2 AQA - what about you?

(Original post by PurpleHaze69)
Thank you so much that was a great explanation. Do you mind me asking if your are AS OR A2 and what exam board do you do?
beachpanda
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
By the way, it can also be used to describe the extra time people end up spend looking for up-to-date pricing information too, due to volatile changes in the general price level. I read that today and thought I ought to mention it!

But I think the term comes from the banking idea I mentioned.

(Original post by beachpanda)
'Shoe leather costs' is a really old term. It describes the wear and tear on shoes incurred from having to keep walking to the bank (maybe miles away in the next town) every time prices went up due to inflation. You'd have to keep paying the cost of repairing the leather on your shoes.

Why? Because if you held onto physical cash (or keep money in a current account nowadays) your money would effectively depreciate in value due to the increase in the price of goods. So instead of holding onto your weekly pay in cash you'd earned from your job at the mill, you'd want to go to the bank and keep the money in a savings account with interest. At least in a savings account your money is earning interest and isn't depreciating as much. If interest rates are high, the value of your savings may even gain value relative to inflation. So 'shoe leather costs' explain the likelihood of people holding onto less cash (and ultimately consuming less, decreasing AD in the economy) due to inflation. The higher or less stable inflation is, the more 'shoe leather costs' incurred as you'll keep having to run to the bank (or opening your banking app and transferring more money into your savings).

Hope this helps!
PurpleHaze69
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Appreciate it Panda
(Original post by beachpanda)
By the way, it can also be used to describe the extra time people end up spend looking for up-to-date pricing information too, due to volatile changes in the general price level. I read that today and thought I ought to mention it!

But I think the term comes from the banking idea I mentioned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did you find the exam?