The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Gwen Eyre or Mayflower

Hello ^^
So I'm making this discussion because this year (2019) accommodation in those halls costs the same (talking about en suite rooms) and I think it would be great if people can share their experience in those halls or even other halls as well .

I am one of those in need of some more information in order to choose between the halls. I'm most interested in quality and like hygiene of the dorms :P

The thing is that when I look at the 360 view of the dorms, Mayflower looks really great, while Glen Eyre looks like the inside of a ship (sorry). But at the same time I like Glen Eyre's outside more.

Any opinions and experiences would be gladly appreciated <3
Thanks in advance
Original post by prototo
Hello ^^
So I'm making this discussion because this year (2019) accommodation in those halls costs the same (talking about en suite rooms) and I think it would be great if people can share their experience in those halls or even other halls as well .

I am one of those in need of some more information in order to choose between the halls. I'm most interested in quality and like hygiene of the dorms :P

The thing is that when I look at the 360 view of the dorms, Mayflower looks really great, while Glen Eyre looks like the inside of a ship (sorry). But at the same time I like Glen Eyre's outside more.

Any opinions and experiences would be gladly appreciated <3
Thanks in advance

Hi there :hi:

Glen Eyre is a bit older than Mayflower, hence your observation! It's a lot closer to campus though (you can get to highfield campus by walking in about 10 minutes!). There are also buses if you're really lazy :lol: and you get a free bus pass with your accommodation.
Glen Eyre is in a bit more of a quiet area - it's quite residential and is near a school. It's also close to banks, bookshops, cafes, restaurants, pubs and little supermarkets near Campus.
Glen Eyre is quite nice because there are green areas around it - places to have a BBQ and it's not far from Daisy park.

Mayflower is a bit newer and so a tad more expensive. It's right in the city centre of Southampton and so you have to get the bus to campus which is about a 20 minute bus ride. Some people say that it can get a bit noisy in Mayflower since it's right by the main road and the train station etc. a busy part of the city indeed!
It's v convenient - near theatres, massive ASDA supermarket, the West Quay shopping centre, leisure centre, cinema etc.
Mayflower is also really massive - the closest green area is probably the memorial gardens, a small walk away. The Southampton Common is really nice but I think you'd have to get a bus there.

I was in Wessex Lane when I was in my first year. I didn't really care about having an ensuite because you have to get used to it anyway, it is more expensive and there are cleaners that come to sort out any issues anyway - you don't have to worry.
It has lovely green areas around it and the part-catered part of it has had its common spaces renovated recently ie: there is a lounge, music room, snooker room, computer room, study space and a common room. There are also places to have a BBQ outside! Being part-catered is also very good value for money and helps you save up for when you are going into your second year and may not necessarily want to stay in halls - up to you though :tongue:

For more information - do visit the accommodation websites for each site. Check the list at the bottom of the page for things they have to offer :yy:

Hope this helps,
Cheese
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks a lot, I'm really grateful for your reply, I never thought someone would answer me in such detailed way. I think now I'm leaning towards Glen Eyre. Also you said you were part-catered, was the food good?
Original post by prototo
Thanks a lot, I'm really grateful for your reply, I never thought someone would answer me in such detailed way. I think now I'm leaning towards Glen Eyre. Also you said you were part-catered, was the food good?

No problem :hat2:
Thing to note about Glen Eyre - it's very popular - so it may not be that you get your first choice. But if you use all/most of your options in Glen Eyre then it gives the accommodation staff the idea that you'd prefer to be at the Glen Eyre site!

Food was good! The best part about part-catering is that you can have full English breakfasts every weekday if you want :ninja: and at the weekends you get brunch/sunday roast. There is also curry Wednesday that is excellent :mmm:
The menu updates everyday on this website (for Wessex Lane part catering) https://catering.southampton.ac.uk/72C-catering#menu
You have to take breakfast every morning and then you can choose from either lunch on campus (you get £7.50 ish to spend on food there by using your ID card) or having an evening meal at the hall (menu online).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending