The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by closure
Obligatory not OP but definitely not like acrylic paint...

Also a question, what are you views on interdental brushes that go in between your teeth? Are they any good?

Mine? Opinion is divided, like your teeth, lol. Receding gums become a problem in later life so like faces... I recommend a good scrub on a regular basis. Don't worry if it draws a little blood... I mean... just look at your hands... you put them through hell and not one sign of abscess, acne. You encourage constant regeneration and they oblige effortlessly.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 581
Original post by Nuttyy
I'm assuming the person asking is preparing for an interview. At the interview, these sort of questions are asked to test situational judgment. Js

They don't ask flawed questions for a situational judgement test.

Original post by brarje
Would appreciate it if you tried your best to answer it please?

I can't answer the question as any answer to it is unethical. That is why the question is flawed.
Reply 582
Original post by Vinny C
Ah... like paint. Is that how you get a whiter than white smile?

No. That's achieved by whitening or veneers which are made out of porcelain.
Reply 583
Original post by closure
Obligatory not OP but definitely not like acrylic paint...

Also a question, what are you views on interdental brushes that go in between your teeth? Are they any good?

Interdental brushes are good if you have interdental gaps big enough for them. Otherwise stick to floss.
Ok, a
Original post by DrTSR
I can't answer the question as any answer to it is unethical. That is why the question is flawed.

This isn’t really a flawed question though as a rare situation like this (being that the system is compromised) can occur. Medical/Dentistry schools tend to give you very unlikely, but challenging, questions such as this to really test your limits. You can’t just reject the interviewers question as you will fail the station.
An example of a question they tend to give is one where there is going to be a nuclear attack and that you and only 5 others will fit into the nuclear shelter.
There are many other challenging scenarios such as this.
So please, try and answer the question. As a dental school graduate and with all the experience you have... I’d really like to see an example of a great answer. Thank you.
Original post by brarje
Ok, a
This isn’t really a flawed question though as a rare situation like this (being that the system is compromised) can occur. Medical/Dentistry schools tend to give you very unlikely, but challenging, questions such as this to really test your limits. You can’t just reject the interviewers question as you will fail the station.
An example of a question they tend to give is one where there is going to be a nuclear attack and that you and only 5 others will fit into the nuclear shelter.
So please, try and answer the question. As a dental school graduate and with all the experience you have... I’d really like to see an example of a great answer. Thank you.

I have to say, I have been through both Pharmacy and Dental school and have recently sat an SJT examination as well, and nowhere since I started university have I ever been asked such questions.
Maybe these sorts of questions are more suited for Medical school?
Reply 586
Original post by MSmith90
I have to say, I have been through both Pharmacy and Dental school and have recently sat an SJT examination as well, and nowhere since I started university have I ever been asked such questions.
Maybe these sorts of questions are more suited for Medical school?

These extreme questions don't get asked anywhere.
Original post by brarje
Ok, a

You can't ask an unethical question and expect an ethical answer. The actual question itself is unethical and imaginary. The questions you will be asked are going to be challenging but will actually make sense and have an ethical and logical solution behind them, not a fairy tale one like in the movies.

If you really want to know my answer if I was put in such an imaginary position, I would not carry out any transplant because that would mean I value one other persons life more than the others. I would inform the patients of the situation and if one of them decides to refuse the transplant for the sake of the other then problem solved. That's all really.
Original post by DrTSR

You can't ask an unethical question and expect an ethical answer. The actual question itself is unethical and imaginary. The questions you will be asked are going to be challenging but will actually make sense and have an ethical and logical solution behind them, not a fairy tale one like in the movies.

If you really want to know my answer if I was put in such an imaginary position, I would not carry out any transplant because that would mean I value one other persons life more than the others. I would inform the patients of the situation and if one of them decides to refuse the transplant for the sake of the other then problem solved. That's all really.

Thank you for your honest answer.
I have a more dentistry related question:
What would you do if a patient was in need of urgent dental care but couldn't afford the treatment at all?
Original post by DrTSR

Despite being reluctant to answer such a question (that can be classed as questionable!), this was a brilliant response!

Thank for you starting this AMA honestly, you have been so helpful in doing so!
Reply 589
Original post by brarje
Thank you for your honest answer.
I have a more dentistry related question:
What would you do if a patient was in need of urgent dental care but couldn't afford the treatment at all?

I'm assuming your question is based on an NHS patient.

I would not carry out any treatment for free. This isn't because I am greedy, but rather patients can abuse the clinician. Word goes round and before you know it a lot of patients will be coming in with the same excuse. You have to remember Dentists are mostly self employed so if you do treatment for 'free' you are actually paying for it for the patient instead.

I would instead refer the patient to a local urgent clinic in a primary/secondary care setting where they would routinely see patients for free (NHS funded). This is usually a hospital. I would also encourage the patient to find out if they are able to apply for an exemption certificate, as the likelihood is if they genuinely can't afford urgent treatment (which is £22.70 on the NHS) then they will likely qualify for free NHS dental care (the NHS pay for their treatment instead, not the dentist)

Original post by AlwaysBroke.
Despite being reluctant to answer such a question (that can be classed as questionable!), this was a brilliant response!

Thank for you starting this AMA honestly, you have been so helpful in doing so!

No problem, my pleasure :smile:
Why are my teeth changing well one of them even though I wear my retainers as I should do
Best toothpaste 😂
Original post by DrTSR
I'm assuming your question is based on an NHS patient.

I would not carry out any treatment for free. This isn't because I am greedy, but rather patients can abuse the clinician. Word goes round and before you know it a lot of patients will be coming in with the same excuse. You have to remember Dentists are mostly self employed so if you do treatment for 'free' you are actually paying for it for the patient instead.

I would instead refer the patient to a local urgent clinic in a primary/secondary care setting where they would routinely see patients for free (NHS funded). This is usually a hospital. I would also encourage the patient to find out if they are able to apply for an exemption certificate, as the likelihood is if they genuinely can't afford urgent treatment (which is £22.70 on the NHS) then they will likely qualify for free NHS dental care (the NHS pay for their treatment instead, not the dentist)

No problem, my pleasure :smile:

Great answer, thank you!
Reply 593
Original post by Jasmine.bx
Why are my teeth changing well one of them even though I wear my retainers as I should do

What do you mean by 'changing' ?
Best toothpaste 😂

I recommend Colgate Pro Relief
Original post by DrTSR
I recommend Colgate Pro Relief

Back to original shape
Reply 595
Back to original shape

Maybe your retainers are de-formed. Have you washed them with hot water at all?
Original post by DrTSR
No. That's achieved by whitening or veneers which are made out of porcelain.

****... you mean I shouldn't be brushing with a brillo pad and rinsing with bleach?
Reply 597
Original post by Vinny C
****... you mean I shouldn't be brushing with a brillo pad and rinsing with bleach?

LOL
My teeth are perfectly fine and healthy. However I hate how my gum comes further down on one side and my teeth are starting to go out of line. I had braces for 2 years and they were perfect when they first came off now I hate them and I hate having to open my mouth or smile at anyone. I was thinking of having 6 veneers on my upper arch and whitening the bottom teeth. Is this a good idea ? Also is dental centre turkey in Antalya trustworthy or should I stay in the uk?
Original post by champagnemami1
My teeth are perfectly fine and healthy. However I hate how my gum comes further down on one side and my teeth are starting to go out of line. I had braces for 2 years and they were perfect when they first came off now I hate them and I hate having to open my mouth or smile at anyone. I was thinking of having 6 veneers on my upper arch and whitening the bottom teeth. Is this a good idea ? Also is dental centre turkey in Antalya trustworthy or should I stay in the uk?

Dear dentist... my top teeth are fine but the ones in my bottom are hurting terribly.

Latest