Suraj101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My Lit Paper 1 is next Wednesday, and I'm really struggling at finding good quotes, so if anyone could send a quote with an analysis of it, it would be really appreciated
nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.
~The balcony scene~

Juliet says how her love resembles the sea. ‘My bounty is as boundless as the sea , my love as deep , the more I give to thee , the more I have, for both are infinite’. This statement refers to her love as deep as the sea and the more she gives, the more she receives love back. The love they have for each other is compared to as sweet as roses and birds that sing. They are all things to do with nature which signifies purity and beauty.
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ones from the top of my head that are pretty useful
"these violent delights have violent ends"(friar lawrence)
"it is east and juliet is the sun"(romeo)
"the sweetest babe that e'er i nursed"(nurse)
"peace? i hate the word"(tybalt)
"a plague o'both your houses"(mercutio)
"disobedient wretch"(capulet)
also a bit of conext, mercutio's name comes from "mercury" which is very reactive, suggests that mercutio is very irritable
tybalt's name means "king of cats"(yes thats a quote) which makes him look silly, also when he fights with mercutio, mercutio says it was just a "scratch"(quote), basically takes the mick out of tybalts similarities to a cat.
if u want an analysis for 1 of the quotes just ask
Suraj101
Rep:
?
Could you give an analysis of 'these violent delights have violent ends' and 'the sweetest babe that e'er I nursed' please
(Original post by lilTrain)
ones from the top of my head that are pretty useful
"these violent delights have violent ends"(friar lawrence)
"it is east and juliet is the sun"(romeo)
"the sweetest babe that e'er i nursed"(nurse)
"peace? i hate the word"(tybalt)
"a plague o'both your houses"(mercutio)
"disobedient wretch"(capulet)
also a bit of conext, mercutio's name comes from "mercury" which is very reactive, suggests that mercutio is very irritable
tybalt's name means "king of cats"(yes thats a quote) which makes him look silly, also when he fights with mercutio, mercutio says it was just a "scratch"(quote), basically takes the mick out of tybalts similarities to a cat.
if u want an analysis for 1 of the quotes just ask
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
from my notes:
"these violent delights have violent ends"
this links to fate, where friar lawrence is forshadowing the consequences of romeo and juliet's quick burning love. their love, "delights", are quite intense despite meeting suddenly and deciding to get married as soon as they've met. they rush into finding their happiness and in turn, they will be rushed into heartbreak. thats basically what the friar is telling them-- love too quickly and it'll die out just as fast. enjoy something too much and you will get bored of it. you get the idea. also about the fate bit, since at this point in the play its not clear to the characters themselves that they are about to die (yet to the audience, we know. this is called dramatic irony) yet the friar suggesting this hints at the future. also the repetition of "violent" brings emphasis to the extremity of whats about to happen-- which we already know from the prologue, "a pair of star cross'd lovers take their life", that the ending isn't going to be pleasant. the emphasis could be used by shakespeare to remind the audience that although romeo and juliet have found happiness, they are not on the path to a happy ending, but the opposite. the message here could be teaching the audience that everything comes at a consequence, no matter how "delight"ful it is.

"sweetest babe that e'er i nursed"
just shows the nurses' compassion for juliet. she is like a mother to her, even better a mother than her own mother actually, as lady capulet never really knows what to do, like when she asks for the nurse to "come back" when shes alone in the room with juliet- she relies on the nurse to take care of her. although this shows lady capulet to not be a good mother, it also shows that she has trust in the nurse which must mean that the nurse is able to cater to juliet's needs, she understands her. calling her "babe" shows affection, as it relates her to a baby which people usually feel caring towards.
i feel that this quote is more of a throw-in which you use if the question is about the relationship between the nurse and juliet...
(Original post by Suraj101)
Could you give an analysis of 'these violent delights have violent ends' and 'the sweetest babe that e'er I nursed' please
but obviously, dont trust my explanations word for word, my english grade is a 6 :rolleyes:
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Theme of fate: "star-crossed lovers", "I defy you stars!", "Be fickle, fortune", "Is there no pity sitting in the clouds/That sees into the bottom of my grief?"

Theme of love: Definitely the Holy Palmer's Sonnet - there is a semantic field of religion ("holy shrine") contrasting with the semantic field of the body ("hands", "Lips"), suggesting their love is both physical and spiritual. Religious language also represents their dedication to each other, and is also ironic because Romeo and Juliet are being sinful by worshipping each other instead of God. Both Romeo and Juliet speak equally - compatible and equal in love to each other.
Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mercrutio - " you have dancing shoes with nimble soles" showing he is a character purely for comic and anarchic(wild) reasons
Romeo - "love is a smoke made with a fume of sighs" showing he's a romantic but quixotic character.
Juliet - "the brightness of her cheeks shamed those stars" she's beautiful that even the other character use light and flower imagery to describe her
- " thou wast the prettiest babe that e'er I nurs'd"(nurse) showing the maternal and affectionate love the nurse has for Juliet
Benvolio - " I do but keep the peace ,put up thy sword " he's appeasing and peaceful
Tybalt - " talk of peace? I hate that word" he's tempestuous volatile and aggressive
Suraj101
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help so far, could anyone provide more quotes for Mercutio, Friar Lawrence, or the Nurse, that seems to be where my notes are lacking
(Original post by Suraj101)
My Lit Paper 1 is next Wednesday, and I'm really struggling at finding good quotes, so if anyone could send a quote with an analysis of it, it would be really appreciated
nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Young men's love then lies/Not truly in the hearts, but in their eyes"
Then young men love with their eyes, not with their hearts. Friar Lawrence is saying that Romeo is fickle (easily changed) and only "loves" Juliet for her appearance since he has so quickly forgotten about his "love" for Rosaline.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
9.05%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (123)
61.81%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (27)
13.57%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (27)
13.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
2.01%

Watched Threads