my anxiety controls my life! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Recently, my anxiety has gotten really bad. I've always been an overthinker and worrier, but it's been specially bad this past year. Whenever I do anything, such as going on a night out, I'll fear for days before that I'll get murdered on the street or by a taxi driver. If I'm going to eat somewhere, I fear that I'll get ill or something. If I'm driving, I convince myself I'm going to crash. If I go anywhere new, I'll research it so much that if there's ever been a crime in the area, I convince myself it'll happen to me. I cover it up well, and usually I force myself to just go and do these things anyway, but I hate how much I worry and convince myself the worst is going to happen to me days before I do anything. Any advice on how to stop this?
Hmmmmmmm?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Perhaps try flooding your mind with ideas of what the most positive outcomes could be instead?
Or rather than look for specific crimes in an area, limit it to just the average crime rate.
But more than anything, I’d consider speaking with a psychiatrist or someone you trust about the issues you seem to be having. For you, it seems to be a matter of perspective and paranoia, which obviously you don’t need to constantly think about these things, but you have to learn to drown your mind out with other thoughts while only vaguely being aware of possible ‘threats’. And let’s be honest, being hurt or worse in an accident would clearly suck, but not being able to live your life that you only get one chance to enjoy sounds a lot worse in my opinion. Risks are needed to enjoy life, otherwise it’s not really living
(Original post by Anonymous)
Recently, my anxiety has gotten really bad. I've always been an overthinker and worrier, but it's been specially bad this past year. Whenever I do anything, such as going on a night out, I'll fear for days before that I'll get murdered on the street or by a taxi driver. If I'm going to eat somewhere, I fear that I'll get ill or something. If I'm driving, I convince myself I'm going to crash. If I go anywhere new, I'll research it so much that if there's ever been a crime in the area, I convince myself it'll happen to me. I cover it up well, and usually I force myself to just go and do these things anyway, but I hate how much I worry and convince myself the worst is going to happen to me days before I do anything. Any advice on how to stop this?
steamed-hams
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
'Anxious thoughts reflect a conflict with reality. Anxious happens when the mind resists what is.You see, when you resist what happens, your mind begins to race; the thoughts that assail you are actually created by you.

The only time that matters is this moment. This moment is all that we have. Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow doesn't exist. But, the problem with most people is that we live in our heads. We live in either the past or the future.

All stress and fear exists in either the past or the future. In fact, fear is just anticipation of pain. If you can truly live in the moment and get out of your head, you can be free of all of the garbage in your head and perform at levels you never thought possible. Not only that, but you can be at peace.

From now on, whenever your attention begins to drift off to other times and places, I want you to snap back. Remember, the time is now and the place is here.'
Last edited by steamed-hams; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
22.77%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.26%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
14.06%

Watched Threads