ryan__lai__
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey. The answer I got was D as I thought the increase/decrease of PD, current and charge was always exponential. The correct answer however is B. Can anyone explain why?

https://imgur.com/9WvjqAU
heartx desire
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I suck in this chapter..
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ryan__lai__)
Hey. The answer I got was D as I thought the increase/decrease of PD, current and charge was always exponential. The correct answer however is B. Can anyone explain why?

https://imgur.com/9WvjqAU
The charging of a capacitor has an exponential relationship because there is a resistor in series with the capacitor. However, this circuit has the battery in “series” with the capacitor while the resistor is parallel to the capacitor and battery.
Presto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But why is it like that?
I don't get how the arrangement affects the reading and I thought that charging/discharging has an exponential relationship only when the current isn't kept constant so when we close the switch wouldn't pd increase exponentially? :/

(Original post by Eimmanuel)
The charging of a capacitor has an exponential relationship because there is a resistor in series with the capacitor. However, this circuit has the battery in “series” with the capacitor while the resistor is parallel to the capacitor and battery.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
I think I kinda understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the voltage in a parallel circuit is equal in all branches so it wouldn't have to gradually increase and would just spike up... but with that logic, shouldn't it have spiked down when we first closed it?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Presto)
I think I kinda understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the voltage in a parallel circuit is equal in all branches so it wouldn't have to gradually increase and would just spike up... but with that logic, shouldn't it have spiked down when we first closed it?
if you mean when it was first opened... no because the battery is out of circuit when the switch is open. With the switch open it's just a RC circuit with a voltmeter and we need to infer that the capacitor was previously charged up to V from the text.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes I meant opened
Oh you're right! So it was in series when the switch was open and parallel when it's closed so if we opened it again it would discharge exponentially in the same way right?
Also just out of curiosity if the switch was open longer, the pd would've eventually decreased to zero right?

(Original post by Joinedup)
if you mean when it was first opened... no because the battery is out of circuit when the switch is open. With the switch open it's just a RC circuit with a voltmeter and we need to infer that the capacitor was previously charged up to V from the text.
Last edited by Presto; 1 year ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Presto)
Yes I meant opened
Oh you're right! So it was in series when the switch was open and parallel when it's closed so if we opened it again it would discharge exponentially in the same way right?
Also just out of curiosity if the switch was open longer, the pd would've eventually decreased to zero right?
Practically yes: it'll reach a negligible potential in quite a small number of time constants
mathematically no: the exponential decay formula tends towards zero but doesn't reach zero... but I don't think you'll get any questions about the time taken fully discharging a capacitor.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much
(Original post by Joinedup)
Practically yes: it'll reach a negligible potential in quite a small number of time constants
mathematically no: the exponential decay formula tends towards zero but doesn't reach zero... but I don't think you'll get any questions about the time taken fully discharging a capacitor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed