The Student Room Group

What's the point in learning all the content when less than a quarter is in the exam?

Edit:

I should've been clearer so to avoid any misunderstanding, a lot of users seem to be misunderstood about my point which is fair since I never explained it, I fully understand that if you're going to be using this content and knowledge further then there is a point, but what's the point when you aren't taking it any further, so for example as a GCSE, why learn all the content in maths for say if you're not going to use it further, so you're going to forget mostly everything, and in that case it really is just for the qualification, take me as an example, I struggled with math my whole life, but I revised and passed, now I've forgotten everything and it's all gone to waste except for the actual qualification, in that case it really is just for the exam.

I hope I've explained myself enough to understand my point, much appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheNamesBond.
?.

What do you suggest? Maybe exams should be 10 hours long to cover everything? Even though only a small proportion of the curriculum is tested in an exam, I think how you perform in an exam is representative of your knowledge across the entire curriculum. For example, if you do well in an exam the chances are that you would have done well regardless of what came up, because the ones who do well revise the entire curriculum and are generally good across the entire curriculum. Of course there will be times when an exam only seems to have questions on topics that you are less familiar with, but I think that’s a bit unlucky and certainly isn’t the case for everyone. Bear in mind as well that studying a subject should not just be about passing the exams (of course that is a very important part), it’s more about the knowledge you acquire from it - at least that’s how I look at it. If the only thing you learned from studying a subject is how to pass the exams, then I think you failed overall.
Original post by Jpw1097
What do you suggest? Maybe exams should be 10 hours long to cover everything? Even though only a small proportion of the curriculum is tested in an exam, I think how you perform in an exam is representative of your knowledge across the entire curriculum. For example, if you do well in an exam the chances are that you would have done well regardless of what came up, because the ones who do well revise the entire curriculum and are generally good across the entire curriculum. Of course there will be times when an exam only seems to have questions on topics that you are less familiar with, but I think that’s a bit unlucky and certainly isn’t the case for everyone. Bear in mind as well that studying a subject should not just be about passing the exams (of course that is a very important part), it’s more about the knowledge you acquire from it - at least that’s how I look at it. If the only thing you learned from studying a subject is how to pass the exams, then I think you failed overall.

To be fair, who remembers what they studied unless they're going to be using that info further.

It just doesn't make sense to have to learn all the content unless of course you'll be using it later on.
Because you don't know what is going to come up!

Now I'm mad about my human physiology exam all over again. I spent so much time memorising complex content for the actual question asked to be 'give a general overview of...' :grumble:
This is a flaw of the exam, but we all learn everything "in case it comes up"
So when we go on to further education, even though we were only tested on 25% of the content, we still learnt all of it
Guessing this is a GCSE-tier question?
Reply 6
It makes it so students get rewarded for working harder. If the syllabuses were as small as you infer they should be then the gap in marks between people who put in little effort and those who study alot would be a whole lot smaller than if they otherwise had to study a lot of content. Stop complaing and just see its made to reward people
Original post by dannykay
It makes it so students get rewarded for working harder. If the syllabuses were as small as you infer they should be then the gap in marks between people who put in little effort and those who study alot would be a whole lot smaller than if they otherwise had to study a lot of content. Stop complaing and just see its made to reward people

What's the point in working harder by studying all the content when it's only going to stay with you if you take that info further?

I'm just asking a genuine question, not complaining.
Original post by Notoriety
Guessing this is a GCSE-tier question?

?
Reply 9
Original post by Jpw1097

We could split up the 10 hours in multiple papers, paper 1, 2 up to 10. I am not being sarcastic btw, testing them on everything will make it worth for the students who learn all the content or know other bits of the content, it will really give us a clear picture whether they are actually good in the subject or not. I am fine with the current system, but prefer this.
?

I mean, are you asking about GCSEs?

I don't really get what you mean even if you're talking about lower quals tbh.
?.

That's a very revealing comment about your attitude to learning - and in my experience, it's not just you.

The answer is that you're not learning 'to pass an exam' - you're supposed to be learning a subject so you understand more about something. You're increasing your knowledge base, increasing your learning and development, whether or not you're going to specifically use this knowledge in the future. You're not just 'doing it for an exam' - or you shouldn't be, anyway.
Original post by The RAR
We could split up the 10 hours in multiple papers, paper 1, 2 up to 10. I am not being sarcastic btw, testing them on everything will make it worth for the students who learn all the content or know other bits of the content, it will really give us a clear picture whether they are actually good in the subject or not. I am fine with the current system, but prefer this.

While that sounds good in theory, I don’t think it would work very well in practice. Can you imagine doing 10 hours of exams for each subject, especially at GCSE when you’re studying 10+ subjects - that’s over 100 hours of exams. Not only would this be physically and mentally exhausting for students, and it would need lots of invigilators and examiners marking all of the papers (which would be very expensive). And tbh, I don’t think it would discriminate between students any better than the current system. Like I said already, students who do well in exams will do well regardless of what comes up, and so I think 2-3 hour exams would discriminate between students just as well as 10 hour exams.
Original post by Jpw1097
While that sounds good in theory, I don’t think it would work very well in practice. Can you imagine doing 10 hours of exams for each subject, especially at GCSE when you’re studying 10+ subjects - that’s over 100 hours of exams. Not only would this be physically and mentally exhausting for students, and it would need lots of invigilators and examiners marking all of the papers (which would be very expensive). And tbh, I don’t think it would discriminate between students any better than the current system. Like I said already, students who do well in exams will do well regardless of what comes up, and so I think 2-3 hour exams would discriminate between students just as well as 10 hour exams.

Ah...you are right, I was talking more from an A level point of view....now that I think about it would be very tiring indeed, if I do the math say 5 or 6 papers per GCSE subject that would be....50 EXAMS holy ****!
And I was thinking of maybe spreading these exams in like July and early August but then...how are the examiners going to mark that much up until September where people need their results for Sixth Form etc..? You know what, the current system is better (At least the old GCSE system, the new one is ****)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
That's a very revealing comment about your attitude to learning - and in my experience, it's not just you.

The answer is that you're not learning 'to pass an exam' - you're supposed to be learning a subject so you understand more about something. You're increasing your knowledge base, increasing your learning and development, whether or not you're going to specifically use this knowledge in the future. You're not just 'doing it for an exam' - or you shouldn't be, anyway.

Well my question is about subjects you're not going to be learning further, so you won't be taking it further.

Of course I understand it if you're going to take the subject further, but otherwise what's the point if you're just going to forget it, I mean, I did my GCSEs last year and I didn't take maths any further, but I had to learn everything anyhow, and I have forgotten mostly everything.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well my question is about subjects you're not going to be learning further, so you won't be taking it further.

Of course I understand it if you're going to take the subject further, but otherwise what's the point if you're just going to forget it.

Furthermore, exams only test you on keywords and sentencing, you can be factually correct but if the words or sentences are not there, then no marks
Original post by The RAR
Furthermore, exams only test you on keywords and sentencing, you can be factually correct but if the words or sentences are not there, then no marks

That's another point, I mean if I'm not going to take this knowledge further, why study all of it? In this case it really is just for the exam, the qualification.
the idea would be that the point of studying is not to pass exams but to improve and become better.

Your question comes from a complete misunderstanding of how education should work - but one that is pervasive throughout our education system, and enforced by almost all schools and the majority of teachers (not by their own choice).

The exams function is to add act as a comparative tool for the next stage of your life/education, to show who is the best.. and to monitor progress so that teachers can act accordingly.

The courses function is to teach you new skills or knowledge that can help you grow and become better in a particular field or skill, or make you a generally better and more knowledgable person.

One is not reliant on the other - you can have exams with no course, and courses with no exams. They shouldn't always be dependent, like we force them to be.
Original post by Reality Check

That is what my dad used to say. You are not studying for the exam. You are studying to know all the knowledge at this level. This is the foundation needed in order to build yourself (add new knowledge in the next years).

These golden advice can only come from years of experience.

Of course I understand it if you're going to take the subject further, but otherwise what's the point if you're just going to forget it, I mean, I did my GCSEs last year and I didn't take maths any further, but I had to learn everything anyhow, and I have forgotten mostly everything.

That is what I used to feel about art classes and social studies (geography/history) classes.

I think they are important especially at a lower level for general knowledge (so that the students don't end up as math/science nerds) and have knowledge in other fields.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending