JacobBob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Why do we increase the volume of the solution from 25cm3 (usually to 250) and then redivide into 25cm3 portions ?
JacobBob
Rep:
?
wendychan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I think you're getting confused between preparation of a standard solution and doing the actual titration where they often take 25cm3 samples.

In standard solution you don't know what you're increasing it from because you always dissolve the solid in a minimum volume of distilled water, you don't have a set target to meet.

After dissolving you transfer this saturated solution of dissolved solid to a volumetric flask and fill it to the mark (250 cm3).
After this we take a pipette and transfer 25cm3 to a conical flask.

Please note the number of moles in original stock solution of 250cm3 is 10 times greater than number of moles in 25cm3 in the conical flask
JacobBob
Rep:
?
(Original post by wendychan)
Hi,

I think you're getting confused between preparation of a standard solution and doing the actual titration where they often take 25cm3 samples.

In standard solution you don't know what you're increasing it from because you always dissolve the solid in a minimum volume of distilled water, you don't have a set target to meet.

After dissolving you transfer this saturated solution of dissolved solid to a volumetric flask and fill it to the mark (250 cm3).
I'm sorry, I don't understand

A standard solution is a solution of known concentration.. that's all I know about these. Why do we dissolve in distilled water?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads