hira.naz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,
I'm currently planning some R.S essays for Ethics and I've just had a bit of a realisation... is natural law a type of ethical naturalism?? Because natural law does explain good in terms of natural properties?
I just need a little bit of clarification if I'm right or not so I can plan it in my essay.

Thanks
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hira.naz)
Hi guys,
I'm currently planning some R.S essays for Ethics and I've just had a bit of a realisation... is natural law a type of ethical naturalism?? Because natural law does explain good in terms of natural properties?
I just need a little bit of clarification if I'm right or not so I can plan it in my essay.

Thanks
Natural law holds that ethical precepts and judgements on actions can be derived from our nature (telos) because God created it and thus it must be directed towards the good. That could look naturalistic since human nature is part of the natural world. However the ultimate source of our natures' goodness is God, so meta-ethically natural law seems to be non-naturalist because God is supernatural.
Last edited by Joe312; 1 year ago
hira.naz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ah got it, thank you so so much
(Original post by Joe312)
Natural law holds that ethical precepts and judgements on actions can be derived from our nature (telos) because God created it and thus it must be directed towards the good. That could look naturalistic since human nature is part of the natural world. However the ultimate source of our natures' goodness is God, so meta-ethically natural law seems to be non-naturalist because God is supernatural.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (155)
38.37%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.45%
Look for a job (14)
3.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.21%
Take a year out (69)
17.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.44%

Watched Threads