GCSE English Literature Exam Q Jekyll and Hyde help

Watch
LeahR111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am struggling to think of ideas for the question 'How is Mr Utterson presented as a rational and reliable narrator?'

Thanks
jozefinaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
What you could say is that due to Mr Utterson being a representation of the typical Victorian Gentleman, he is conditioned to comply by societies morals, which include: not gossiping and maintaining his respectable position in the idealized hierarchy, through his narration he is rational as he treats everybody fairly, showing how he is conscious of his reputation from other people's perspectives, however alternative interpretations could include, how he is outspoken about Hyde when he states 'I can't pretend that i shall ever like him' hinting Stevenson's ideas that no matter how morally superior one can be, evil is still festered in everyone.
Hope this helped
LeahR111
Rep:
?
Hi, thank you thats really helpful
(Original post by jozefinaa)
Hi,
What you could say is that due to Mr Utterson being a representation of the typical Victorian Gentleman, he is conditioned to comply by societies morals, which include: not gossiping and maintaining his respectable position in the idealized hierarchy, through his narration he is rational as he treats everybody fairly, showing how he is conscious of his reputation from other people's perspectives, however alternative interpretations could include, how he is outspoken about Hyde when he states 'I can't pretend that i shall ever like him' hinting Stevenson's ideas that no matter how morally superior one can be, evil is still festered in everyone.
Hope this helped
LeahR111
Rep:
?
(Original post by jozefinaa)
Hi,
Hope this helped
Hi, just curious what grade did you get for English Lit in your mocks?
Btw you don't have to tell me
Thanks
Handel1742
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey just wondering what are people thinking the question will be for the paper next week?

Everyone is banging on about kingship for Macbeth and someone said secrecy for Jekyll if so does anyone have any good extracts?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads