The Student Room Group

What can I do to land a summer internship for my second year?

Hi!

I study Econ at Uni of Manchester. Grades are AAB
Failed to secure spring weeks this year in IB but did get a spring week at Aon

I have gotten firsts all year at uni.
Extracurricular:
Accounting society careers exec
Treasurer for the Student Union Charity branch
Organised careers event for women at the firm Bright Network
You surely have a sport or an other EC to put on your CV to make yourself interesting and have a good conversation starter. Accounting is somewhat relevant for IB, but people will assume you are going for the Big4, try the finance soc. Remove bright network imo.
apply to many internships, make sure you have spotless CV/CL

have some interesting things about yourself on CV too to stand out. your profile as it looks is pretty generic copy/paste of most applicants.
Reply 3
Why remove 'bright network'.
Original post by xtrembob
You surely have a sport or an other EC to put on your CV to make yourself interesting and have a good conversation starter. Accounting is somewhat relevant for IB, but people will assume you are going for the Big4, try the finance soc. Remove bright network imo.
Reply 4
I do karate and am a member of the shooting society
Original post by gr8wizard10
apply to many internships, make sure you have spotless CV/CL

have some interesting things about yourself on CV too to stand out. your profile as it looks is pretty generic copy/paste of most applicants.
Original post by ABCDEF99
I do karate and am a member of the shooting society

make sure you have these somewhere on your CVs regarding hobbies
Hi!

I study Econ at Uni of Manchester. Grades are AAB
Failed to secure spring weeks this year in IB but did get a spring week at Aon

I have gotten firsts all year at uni.
Extracurricular:
Accounting society careers exec
Treasurer for the Student Union Charity branch
Organised careers event for women at the firm Bright Network

are you targeting your applications for each job at every company.

ie re-write your skills and personal bio to match the 'desired skills' and company culture traits a company wants, remember CV/s can sifted electronically for key words, and HR analysts spend only about 20 seconds reading applications.

Online test skills & interview skills will be key as well, so get some practice.
Why remove 'bright network'.

very generic wont make you stand out. Pretty boring imo - would basically consider this as a CV filler.
Original post by xtrembob
very generic wont make you stand out. Pretty boring imo - would basically consider this as a CV filler.

this is bang on, i think it sends the message that your experience is a little dry.
Diversify your applications at internship. If you apply solely for M&A, you run the high risk of being disappointed.

This is assuming you wouldn’t mind MO/BO roles.
Reply 10
Why do you think I would not land the front office stuff? Am I not competitive enough ?
Original post by BusMan21
Diversify your applications at internship. If you apply solely for M&A, you run the high risk of being disappointed.

This is assuming you wouldn’t mind MO/BO roles.
Why do you think I would not land the front office stuff? Am I not competitive enough ?

diversify is to limit risk - he never mentioned you won't land it.. but quite basic portfolio theory would suggest spreading applications around different job profiles with varying probabilities of acceptance would yield a higher success rate, on average.
Original post by gr8wizard10
diversify is to limit risk - he never mentioned you won't land it.. but quite basic portfolio theory would suggest spreading applications around different job profiles with varying probabilities of acceptance would yield a higher success rate, on average.

Precisely. How well articulated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending