History A level Coursework - Arab-Israel

Watch
zaynab s
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am a y12 student thinking of doing the Arab Israel conflict for my History coursework.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a question that I could use or some sources to begin reading.
No_Veneer_In_Ere
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, gosh that's impressive excuse my ignorance but is that the Yom-Kippur war that you are referring to? also what exam board are you on?

(Original post by zaynab s)
Hi I am a y12 student thinking of doing the Arab Israel conflict for my History coursework.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a question that I could use or some sources to begin reading.
No_Veneer_In_Ere
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry i'm an idiot i know what you're talking about know, terribly sorry , possible question could maybe be something along the lines of " 'The rise of Arab nationalism played a larger role in the causation of the Arab-Israeli conflicts than religous differences' How far does a study of these regions between the years of 1900 & 2000 support this claim" that's what i would go for, sorry that's the best i could come up with. If you need any more help please ask

zaynab s
Rep:
?
I'm edexcel

I haven't actually started yet and I dont fully understand how coursework works.
I am interested in both the Yom-Kippur war and the 1948 war.

Would it be possible for me to do my coursework on the arab-israel war overall and include both events or would I have to focus on one of the wars
No_Veneer_In_Ere
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I do the AQA course and the way that they did it when I was in year 12 was that you had to pick a topic that spanned a (roughly) 100 year time period so, I did mine on nationalism and the rise of the Nazi party between the years 1845-1933. You also had to pick two interpretations from two academic historians and then analyze whether or not the interpretations were valuable or not to someone studying the time period and then write up your own essay and that all had to fit into a 5,000 word essay but i don't know if it will be the same with Edexcel, doing a bit of research though i have found this which you may find useful when it comes to writing it up:
https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/me...mple-pages.pdf
again, any questions please let me know and i'll do my best to help
I'm edexcel

I haven't actually started yet and I dont fully understand how coursework works.

Would it be possible for me to do my coursework on the arab-israel war overall and include both events or would I have to focus on one of the wars
zaynab s
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your help

One final question.
Is there 1 coursework piece or more than that
(Original post by No_Veneer_In_Ere)
Well, I do the AQA course and the way that they did it when I was in year 12 was that you had to pick a topic that spanned a (roughly) 100 year time period so, I did mine on nationalism and the rise of the Nazi party between the years 1845-1933. You also had to pick two interpretations from two academic historians and then analyze whether or not the interpretations were valuable or not to someone studying the time period and then write up your own essay and that all had to fit into a 5,000 word essay but i don't know if it will be the same with Edexcel, doing a bit of research though i have found this which you may find useful when it comes to writing it up:
https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/me...mple-pages.pdf
again, any questions please let me know and i'll do my best to help
No_Veneer_In_Ere
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No problem at all, I only did one essay but I don't know if it's different for Edexcel, i assume it would be only one though
Thank you so much for your help

One final question.
Is there 1 coursework piece or more than that
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm edexcel

For Edexcel, you can choose any question you want - it can be about just one event, or it can be a longer period. It's up to you. The essay is built around a comparison of the arguments of three main historians, and at least 3 additional/supplementary historians.

I did mine on the Cold War - my question was about the causes of the Cold War. Personally, I think questions about a one-off event are easier than a question that spans 100 years.

If I was you, I would explore either the causes of the 1967 War, or the 1948 war (Though of course, an essay on the 1967 war would almost certainly mention the 1948 war).
SlightlySummer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For A-level History, do you get to choose the topics? O r does it vary and the school chooses it, like GCSEs?
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
For A-level History, do you get to choose the topics? O r does it vary and the school chooses it, like GCSEs?
It's up to your school. My school told us what topic we were doing - they taught us the topic in detail, gave us a recommended leading list and a question.

Other schools leave it entirely up to you.
zaynab s
Rep:
?
Hi

Thank you so much

One more question. So if I did do the causes of the 1948 where would I get sources from
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
It's up to your school. My school told us what topic we were doing - they taught us the topic in detail, gave us a recommended leading list and a question.

Other schools leave it entirely up to you.
hustlr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

from my gcse i remember the main themes in the arab israeli conflict was : superpower intervention, raids & reprisals (acts of retaliation), terrorism, territory, UN intervention and leadership.

superpower intervention, territory and raids &reprisals were probably the most important.

you might want to focus your questions around one of these themes across a period of time
zaynab s
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hustlr)
from my gcse i remember the main themes in the arab israeli conflict was : superpower intervention, raids & reprisals (acts of retaliation), terrorism, territory, UN intervention and leadership.

superpower intervention, territory and raids &reprisals were probably the most important.

you might want to focus your questions around one of these themes across a period of time
Thanks a lot for your response. I have chosen to go with the creation of the Israeli state and the extent of Britain's role.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (104)
27.51%
England (127)
33.6%
Belgium (30)
7.94%
Germany (40)
10.58%
Spain (8)
2.12%