Is it okay to lobby government like this? Watch

ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The state of Georgia is passing an unpopular (in some circles) law, and in order to lobby that government to backtrack, some very rich people are threatening to take their business elsewhere. Film and TV brought $2.7 billion into the state last year, comparing with the state budget for this year being $26 billion.

Regardless of whether you agree with the abortion law or not, should rich entertainment people be able to pressure governments into making (or not making) certain laws? Obviously in this example they'll have a lot of public support which is why they're being vocal, but this sort of thing also happens behind the scenes for other laws. A powerful enough movie executive can offer to film something in Georgia (or wherever) if certain laws are passed/relaxed allowing more profit to be made (and for the state, they get more people in work and more tax than having nothing at all).

In this case, I believe that most (if not all, though Alyssa Milano preferring to see out her contract in Georgia then refuse further work there is a bit of a weak boycott) the boycotters are being vocal because they feel it is right, rather than because it'll raise their profile, and hence their fee for their next role. But this isn't always going to be true.

Clearly, a boycott actually hurts the pregnant women of Georgia (and everyone else there), so this boycott is intended to make the state government decide between the good of the many and whatever positives they saw in introducing the law. If the boycott was threatened to get a referendum on it, I would respect it more, but as is, some rich people with no real roots in the state have decided that their principles are the correct ones and want to force the government to implement them.

Should a government be openly (or privately!) caving to such financial lobbying? And if so, is this a good state of affairs where the completely unelected and unaccountable rich few can have such political clout?
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No the government should not bow down to these people, especially on such a moral issue as murder.
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:dumbells: I'm bored so don't mind me
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
rich entertainment people should not influence the government - i only read the first bit :cheers:
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, it isn't okay.

Your example of what's going on in Georgia is recent and well-publicised, but the House of Representatives and the Senate have revolving doors with the massively well-paid boards of directors of the big American defense companies, oil and gas companies, agriculture conglomerates, and big pharma. Those entities are what rule the country in the end. This fact is sort of subliminally half-understood and accepted; nobody gets mad about it and it isn't ''news'', so no one really talks about it.
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 1 month ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Welcome to American politics
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If they want their staff and employees to be able to access 1st world medical services then they are well within their rights to go to a state that has those services. Furthermore they are well within their rights to tell the State's governing party that they will be leaving to get better services elsewhere.

I see no problem with their actions.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The US has decided that money = speech, so as far as their legal system goes, it is right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed