Detention for learning words that are not taught at school

Watch
vxern
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is this normal for me to be unable to search up words at home that I do not know and write them in homeworks that are set for Spanish because I will get a detention? We are talking about an hour long detention. To me this is completely illogical and hypocritical on every level, since our teacher uses the internet to search up words she doesn't know in the class on the internet

EDIT: Not only for homeworks, for exams too, including a speaking exam that is coming up soon that I cannot learn words for
Last edited by vxern; 1 year ago
StealingThunder
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vxern)
Is this normal for me to be unable to search up words at home that I do not know and write them in homeworks that are set for Spanish because I will get a detention? We are talking about an hour long detention. To me this is completely illogical and hypocritical on every level, since our teacher uses the internet to search up words she doesn't know in the class on the internet

EDIT: Not only for homeworks, for exams too, including a speaking exam that is coming up soon that I cannot learn words for
In general it’s probably better to use a dictionary rather than the internet (sometimes can get dodgy or very rarely used words). But as long as you reverse search and ensure that word means what you think there should be no problem. In general learning more is commendable?? I can understand detention if they think you’ve used google translate for the whole thing, but if you’ve only looked up individual words and have now learnt them then that’s mad!!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol what?
I often google translated stuff if I wasn't quite sure how to word something or didn't know the word
It is no reason for detention
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LOL the first language teacher I've heard who doesn't want their students to expand their vocabulary
vxern
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by StealingThunder)
In general it’s probably better to use a dictionary rather than the internet (sometimes can get dodgy or very rarely used words). But as long as you reverse search and ensure that word means what you think there should be no problem. In general learning more is commendable?? I can understand detention if they think you’ve used google translate for the whole thing, but if you’ve only looked up individual words and have now learnt them then that’s mad!!
I do use google translate and check the word using different websites so I know what I am saying but as I said in the post, that is what happens here, well whatever, I will use whatever the hell I want and I will laugh in her face the next time she does it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads