University has made big changes to my course. Can I leave?

Watch
chayes92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone. Just seeking some general advice. Im currently a distance learning student, at Anglia Ruskin university. Im studying digital marketing.
Upon signing up for the course part of my main reasons for signing up was the course having the IDM (Institute of digital marketing) certificate and award in digital marketing to be taken in the second year.

This part of the course teaches us vital digital marketing skills. The university have since dropped these 2 modules and replaced them with project management and international business. This is not what I signed up for and not what I wanted, I came from a Business(marketing) course to this one because I wanted to study digital marketing.

It seems that the university have just thrown in these two modules because its all they have thats slightly, remotely similar digital marketing. Since they only offer a few online courses, and this is distance learning.

My frustration is that I am paying fees now for a course I did not want or signed up to. Since it has significantly changed and I have no desire to want to study the two modules that the IDM award has been replaced with. Does anyone know where I stand here? The course organisation overall has been a terrible learning experience and I wish that I went with the OU, if only they had digital marketing.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chayes92)
Hi everyone. Just seeking some general advice. Im currently a distance learning student, at Anglia Ruskin university. Im studying digital marketing.
Upon signing up for the course part of my main reasons for signing up was the course having the IDM (Institute of digital marketing) certificate and award in digital marketing to be taken in the second year.

This part of the course teaches us vital digital marketing skills. The university have since dropped these 2 modules and replaced them with project management and international business. This is not what I signed up for and not what I wanted, I came from a Business(marketing) course to this one because I wanted to study digital marketing.

It seems that the university have just thrown in these two modules because its all they have thats slightly, remotely similar digital marketing. Since they only offer a few online courses, and this is distance learning.

My frustration is that I am paying fees now for a course I did not want or signed up to. Since it has significantly changed and I have no desire to want to study the two modules that the IDM award has been replaced with. Does anyone know where I stand here? The course organisation overall has been a terrible learning experience and I wish that I went with the OU, if only they had digital marketing.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

How many years of student finance have you had?
You say you came from a business marketing course?
Was that a degree?
How many years finance used?
What year are you in for this course?
When are the two modules you wanted to study for ? Next year? Sept 2019?
Have you talked to student advisor?
Have you complained to the department? Have they offered anything?

Yes you can leave, but on what basis is the question.

1. Do you want their help to transfer to a different course?
2. Do you want money back? Talk to consumer helpline. CAB apparently consumer rights act applies to uni courses.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...onsumer-issue/

These are DM degrees. None of them are distance learning. Perhaps there are non degree qualifications?

https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...mmyF-Lqv4nMBU1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise