How often do you come home from uni? Watch

yaco3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am wondering how often you go home during your time at uni and how far you travel, I'm going to go to uni 80 miles away from home next year and was considering renewing my season ticket is travelling back every other weekend too much??! return train ticket costs about £50
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yaco3)
I am wondering how often you go home during your time at uni and how far you travel, I'm going to go to uni 80 miles away from home next year and was considering renewing my season ticket is travelling back every other weekend too much??! return train ticket costs about £50
My university was 6 hours away from home. I visited maybe 3 times during the academic year (once at Christmas, Easter, and a couple of weeks in the summer), due to the time commitment and cost of travel.
sinfonietta
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I lived 65 miles away from uni and only travelled back once a month.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lived miles away: went back for Chrimbo/easter and summer, then only Chrimbo and summer and then only summer.

Plan to do it more often with me course coming up, but probably won't be arsed.
Acsel
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yaco3)
I live some 50 miles from uni. It's around 2 hours on the train, or 1 hour if I drive. I came home a handful of times a year. Easter and Christmas were the main times, maybe the odd time for convenience and of course over summer. I personally didn't go to uni just to come home on a regular basis, and the amount of wasted time and money if I'd been coming home every other weekend would be totally unjustified. Not to mention the stuff I'd have missed out on each weekend. I would strongly recommend against traveling home every other weekend
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rarely
Blue_Cow
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yaco3)
Only Christmas and Summer.

Travelling back and forth constantly is not economical for me being 400 miles away.
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yaco3)
Do not travel back every other weekend (too much), your better off immersing yourself in the experience. I will say freshers do go home more often probably on average 1 a month, but by final year you'll be set in & might only go back like once a term.

Just give up the season ticket and you can still go to a few games a year in August/September, Christmas etc...
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yaco3)
I go home for a weekend for my birthday in November, at Christmas and then not again until I move home for summer. That's how it's been this year.

Last academic year I didn't come home for my birthday but came home for a few days in February instead. So typically 3 times I'll go home.

I live around 190 miles away from home.
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm about 6hrs door to door from uni to home and would usually go home every 6-8 weeks depending on how busy I was. Cost just under £40 for a return when I book 2 months in advance.
centraltrains
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Every day! (Commuter/home student haha)
yaco3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks all
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Wouldn't you prefer to live away at university?
(Original post by centraltrains)
Every day! (Commuter/home student haha)
LeapingLucy
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I generally go home every other weekend for Sunday lunch - my home town is 30 minutes away by train from where I go to uni, so I can go home for a few hours and get back to uni by evening.

Plus fares are super off peak on Sundays, so with my railcard a return is about £8, way cheaper than during the week.
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm a 30 minute train away and I go back every few weekends mainly because my accommodation is grim and my flatmates and I don't get along so it's just not a nice atmosphere to be in. Next year I'm planning to go back maybe once a month?
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Uni is my home now
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
centraltrains
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Wouldn't you prefer to live away at university?
Depends which aspect one looks at it from.

Simple answer: Inconclusive/I don't know
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
In general considering all things that you thought at the time before you attended the university, how do you think you would fare if you were to live away at university?
(Original post by centraltrains)
Depends which aspect one looks at it from.

Simple answer: Inconclusive/I don't know
centraltrains
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
In general considering all things that you thought at the time before you attended the university, how do you think you would fare if you were to live away at university?
I think i'd probably just about cope, but as said I don't know!
At the back of my mind I think I defiantly would have preferred to, but when looking at things from a realistic point of view I would be unlikely to cope well, but I have Autism so is different in many senses.
IrrationalRoot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As rarely as I'm allowed to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (218)
21.87%
The paper was reasonable (431)
43.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (192)
19.26%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
15.65%

Watched Threads