The Student Room Group

Bus driver wouldn’t let me get off, kept driving alone with me instead?

I was on a public bus today, with a couple of other people. They all got off, one after the other, until it was just me (20F) and the bus driver (50?M)
As I approached my stop (one of the last ones on the route), I pressed the “stop” button, and the light flashed on and made the ding sound.

Although the entire long bus stop was empty (it is the one in the town centre so has enough room for at least 3 buses), the driver didn’t stop and instead continued on, past a mini roundabout, through traffic lights, and down a hill past a large park.
I found this a bit strange as I get the bus to work most days and it’s never happened before - usually the bus makes a stop there anyway as it is the town centre.

As we approached a larger roundabout, about a 5-10 minute walk away from my intended stop, I leant into the aisle and said loudly, “sorry but can I please get off soon?”. The driver didn’t respond at all and actually sped up, which kind of scared me because I wasn’t sure if he was even keeping to the main bus route anymore.
He then made a few turns and pulled over near some other buses, without saying anything to me.

I thanked him and got off in a hurry, but I felt really anxious and off about the whole situation.

Anyone had a similar situation before? Or do you think I’m just overthinking it?
Original post by Anonymous
I was on a public bus today, with a couple of other people. They all got off, one after the other, until it was just me (20F) and the bus driver (50?M)
As I approached my stop (one of the last ones on the route), I pressed the “stop” button, and the light flashed on and made the ding sound.

Although the entire long bus stop was empty (it is the one in the town centre so has enough room for at least 3 buses), the driver didn’t stop and instead continued on, past a mini roundabout, through traffic lights, and down a hill past a large park.
I found this a bit strange as I get the bus to work most days and it’s never happened before - usually the bus makes a stop there anyway as it is the town centre.

As we approached a larger roundabout, about a 5-10 minute walk away from my intended stop, I leant into the aisle and said loudly, “sorry but can I please get off soon?”. The driver didn’t respond at all and actually sped up, which kind of scared me because I wasn’t sure if he was even keeping to the main bus route anymore.
He then made a few turns and pulled over near some other buses, without saying anything to me.

I thanked him and got off in a hurry, but I felt really anxious and off about the whole situation.

Anyone had a similar situation before? Or do you think I’m just overthinking it?

Its odd. It will be on their cctv. Talk to their customer services.
You can make a complaint if you wish, up to you or just notch it down to experience.
If you dont want to get involved then you could always talk to them anonymously.
Original post by Anonymous

Maybe he had to park his bus with the other buses instead of the town centre? Could have been his last route of the shift so that's where they leave the buses? I'd contact the company though and raise it with them, in case the driver was doing something he shouldn't.
Happened to me once. The driver hadn't got an alert I'd pressed the button and didn't hear me shout from further down the bus. When I went to the window he was super apologetic when he realised.
If it made you uncomfortable, report it. Even if he had to take it to the bus garage at the end of the night, there was nothing stopping him from explaining that to you or even letting you know beforehand at whichever stop was the last he'd be stopping at. As someone else has said, contact the bus company just in case he did do something wrong, it would horrible for another young woman to have to experience the same thing.
I couldnt work out whether it was super creepy and the driver did it deliberately. They normally know to stop when you are in the eyeline.
If he just didnt notice it was nothing and an innocent mistake. Ive had that happen or you were too late.

Makes you wonder whether they have a rogue bus driver or not.
. The driver didn’t respond at all and actually sped up,

probably was speeding up to drop you off quicker
Reply 7
Something somehow similar happened to me today. I had taken the bus to meet up with one of my buddies and just before I entered the bus, an old lady asked me to take her trolley off the vehicle, I did and the driver tried to close the doors in my rear. I promptly jumped back, hitting my arm. I felt like something was odd with the bus driver, because he kept starring at me during my trip, so I memorized his licence plate. When the time finally came for me to get off, the driver didn't open the doors for me ( I was alone in the bus, I forgot to mention ) he just kept starring in my eyes, to the point of being irking so I shouted
Probably trying to intimidate you, he felt powerful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending