The Student Room Group

Should my periods still be irregular?

I first started my period 7 years ago. From my understanding, irregular periods and normal to begin with, however, they are still irregular to this day.

My latest cycle lasted 100+ days, the one before 60+ days and the one before that was 30+ days.

I have recently read upon PCOS and do have some of the symptoms, including weight issues and acne. Any advice? How is PCOS diagnosed?
Ask for a CT scan to check if you have any cysts and also blood tests . if you feel like you definitely have pcos but your doctor is dismissing you,go to other doctors. Also try to make lifestyle changes( diet , supplements and exercise ) now if you are not into taking medications which mask the symptoms but some actually treat it
Don’t *
Original post by Anonymous
Ask for a CT scan to check if you have any cysts and also blood tests . if you feel like you definitely have pcos but your doctor is dismissing you,go to other doctors. Also try to make lifestyle changes( diet , supplements and exercise ) now if you are not into taking medications which mask the symptoms but some actually treat it

A CT scan is not the test to check for cysts.

OP, you need to see your GP in the first instance, and they will arrange blood tests. They will tell you whether you need any more investigations after that. Things you can do yourself to help is to try to lose weight, and you can also speak to your GP about going on the pill to try to regulate your periods.
Take birth control; helps with regular
Personally I think the pill is not the best option as it just masks the problem and doesn’t actually treat it.
Original post by C_uni
I first started my period 7 years ago. From my understanding, irregular periods and normal to begin with, however, they are still irregular to this day.

My latest cycle lasted 100+ days, the one before 60+ days and the one before that was 30+ days.

I have recently read upon PCOS and do have some of the symptoms, including weight issues and acne. Any advice? How is PCOS diagnosed?

Some women do have irregular periods and that's normal for them. However, if you think there's something more serious going on, check and see your GP. I'm tagging @CoolCavy as she knows a lot about PCOS so may be able to offer some advice :smile:

A CT scan is not used in PCOS diagnosis an ultrasound is used either external or internal. They are also not cysts but infertile eggs in the ovary.

Personally I think the pill is not the best option as it just masks the problem and doesn’t actually treat it.

Considering PCOS is incurable the only option for those affected is often the pill to alleviate the symptoms.

-----------
OP see you GP for a blood test and get a referral to a hospital for an ultrasound. If it is an external one make sure you drink lots before as this will push your bladder out of the way so they can see the ovaries.
You need a positive result for both tests to be diagnosed.
Reply 8
I have spoken to my GP and blood tests have been arranged. She suggested my issues could be PCOS without myself mentioning it.

Unfortunately I’m not allowed on birth control due to blood clots in the family but we shall see what the tests say!
A CT scan is not the test to check for cysts.

OP, you need to see your GP in the first instance, and they will arrange blood tests. They will tell you whether you need any more investigations after that. Things you can do yourself to help is to try to lose weight, and you can also speak to your GP about going on the pill to try to regulate your periods.

Original post by HateSchx
Take birth control; helps with regular

Original post by CoolCavy
A CT scan is not used in PCOS diagnosis an ultrasound is used either external or internal. They are also not cysts but infertile eggs in the ovary.

Considering PCOS is incurable the only option for those affected is often the pill to alleviate the symptoms.

-----------
OP see you GP for a blood test and get a referral to a hospital for an ultrasound. If it is an external one make sure you drink lots before as this will push your bladder out of the way so they can see the ovaries.
You need a positive result for both tests to be diagnosed.
Original post by C_uni
I have spoken to my GP and blood tests have been arranged. She suggested my issues could be PCOS without myself mentioning it.

Unfortunately I’m not allowed on birth control due to blood clots in the family but we shall see what the tests say!

Hope all goes well for you :hugs: I have pcos so share your frustrations
Have you tried asking about the mini pill? It is usually the combined oral contraceptive that raises blood pressure and increases clotting risk, I was taken off it for that reason and given the mini pill instead, might work for you?

Quick Reply

Latest