zohra25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
what if u fail ur gcses but get good a-level results? would russel group unis overlook ur gcse results? how much wll bad gcses hold u back?
AsithU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A levels require gcse knowledge. If you fail gcses, most places will not let you do A levels.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by zohra25)
what if u fail ur gcses but get good a-level results? would russel group unis overlook ur gcse results? how much wll bad gcses hold u back?
To do A level you will usually need at least a 6 in your chosen subject. As said above they wont allow you to do A levels without that.

GCSE results will sometimes affect whether you get into sixth form.

They can also affect whether you recieve uni offers. You need English and Maths.
Some unis and courses state you need certain GCSEs and some will require a 6 in English and Maths.
Some unis will require 5 GCSEs.

In general GCSE requirements are quite low, but they are sometimes used to trigger unconditional offers if you do really well. Lots of 7+ results.

For some unis and courses the average candidate will do very well.

On some Medicine courses GCSE are extremely important.

In most cases A levels and predicted grades are by far the most important factor. Much more so than GCSE.

Make sure you get 6+ in subjects you wish to study at A level.
Make sure you get 6+ in English and Maths.
If you have a target course, then check if it has a GCSE requirement.
In most cases and for most courses if you do your research you can get by with quite low min GCSE because A levels are by far the most important entrance criteria.

Aim to get at least the above.
If you do absolutely terribly then ask to resit the year. It just sounds like its anxiety and have no idea if its well founded or not. For the moment do your best and deal with results later. Bearing in mind the above advice and if you have to choose, then focus on the above GCSE and possibly abandon ones outside that core group.
Yazzy.j
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
look at the YouTuber ibzmo. he got bad GCSE results but worked incredibly hard at a level and got A*A*A and got into Cambridge. if you can get into Cambridge with bad GCSE results, you can pretty much go anywhere
watershower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You need to at least get the grades to get into A-level. Like if you want to do history at sixth-form, most will require at least a 6. If you end up getting 4/5, you may need to resit or go to college, which in my opinion, isn’t very suitable for people who want to have an academic career.
Also, if you fail your GCSES, you might not have the passion or work ethic to even do well in A-Level. You’d need to put in way more work than you’d expect to go from a GCSE 5 to an A-Level B/A.

However, to answer your question, if you do end up flopping GCSES, no they aren’t that important compared to A-Level grades. Some universities do require a certain GCSE grade for certain courses though like Medicine or Economics. Don’t aim to fail though, it won’t do you any good.

Best of luck x
skw123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In terms of uni and jobs they normally only specify a C in English and math but unis really only care about A levels. So just do the best you can and try and work harder during A-levels.
username4599420
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Dw about it too much, but I think you need to pass yours GCSEs to sit A levels?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (20)
5.93%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (197)
58.46%
No (120)
35.61%

Watched Threads